CRT Fetish Thread

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
It's a 20f1u BVM (240p only?). Fucking wonderful for MVS and S/NES, Genesis, which got me curious. The Framemeister is great, but true CRT gaming is preferable for me (and I'd rather not buy a giant consumer TV at this time)

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd say definitely use the cube on the bvm, component and svideo on the mini is lame and the cube doesn't have rgb on us systems.

For the dc, if you've got a Toro the mini will be way better. Low res rgb would be a toss up.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yup that monitor can do up to 480i. There are other devices you can get to force those systems to run 240p mode but I am really not much familiar with them. And honestly I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle considering the GCN has good S-video output. With the DC there are more 240p games, but you will be forced to run everything else in 480i.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I'd say definitely use the cube on the bvm, component and svideo on the mini is lame and the cube doesn't have rgb on us systems.

For the dc, if you've got a Toro the mini will be way better. Low res rgb would be a toss up.

You can get RGB out on a US cube via the digital out port, using a modified component cable.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
You can get RGB out on a US cube via the digital out port, using a modified component cable.

That will work but don't those cables sell for like 300 dollars modified? I was going to go that route but then I remembered GC component cables are dumb expensive, so I got a pal cube. I'm going to have to put a xeno chip in mine though as my GBA player is USA revision, and I haven't seen any Pal discs for sale, except a complete in box set thats super pricey.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Maybe on eBay, but I recently obtained one for $90. Granted, even that is quite high for a video cable.

In most cases it's definitely better to go the PAL cube route for RGB.

2050-Z

New Challenger
Can a PAL cube be used in the USA with NTSC games for easy/cheap RGB output, without the $$$ component cables?

What kind of region mod would be required?

Westcb

Can a PAL cube be used in the USA with NTSC games for easy/cheap RGB output, without the $$$ component cables?

What kind of region mod would be required?

7 dollar mod chip off eBay called Xeno. Waiting on mine to come in, I'll let you know if I have any problems with my USA games after it gets here.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If that works and we can turn a pal cube into a ntsc rgb system, that would be AWESOME

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have a question about the PAL gamecube. What's the point of getting the scart cable? Hardly any gamecube games support 240p, so all you're going to get out of most games is 480i. The 480i via rgb is said to look identical to the 480i from a Wii. The 480i that everyone gets a chubby from is achieved by drawing the signal from the official component cables, which have an special video converter chip in them.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Game Boy Player + GBI homebrew looks awesome in 240p. That's basically it.

TBH I'm tempted to get a PAL cube myself, I could certainly cover it and then some if I sold my Component cable...

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I have a question about the PAL gamecube. What's the point of getting the scart cable? Hardly any gamecube games support 240p, so all you're going to get out of most games is 480i. The 480i via rgb is said to look identical to the 480i from a Wii. The 480i that everyone gets a chubby from is achieved by drawing the signal from the official component cables, which have an special video converter chip in them.

For me, to play GBA games on my 2530. They look really good to me, and apparently, look even better if you use a media loader and swiss to run at 240p.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Think I finally have my 1000 line BVM-D24E1WU calibrated right.

The SNES specifically was a bitch to calibrate for. I still don't think I have it 100% correct due to SNES games displaying in something like 8:7, & then 4:3 squishing that to look correct. I'm generally going by the SNES test suit to tweak the H & X size, & then for color I did the same thing.

Also had to get rid of any magnetic interference to get the colors right.

Example of this were getting my speakers away from the sides of the Monitor because they're not magnetically shielded. Setting the BVM to "west" in the settings so the earth's poles match the direction the CRT is facing, & removing the magnets in my cabinet that hold the glass doors on it.

It's a bitch & a half to adjust, believe me.

umihara.jpg

2050-Z

New Challenger
7 dollar mod chip off eBay called Xeno. Waiting on mine to come in, I'll let you know if I have any problems with my USA games after it gets here.

Very interested in the writeup, thanks.

I was looking into doing this a year ago but never followed through. I think I even bought a PAL cube on eBay with a 3-months long haul shipping time but I'm now realizing I never even received it, lol. Damn, I think it had Melee in the box too.

2050-Z

New Challenger

Gotta love the Cube hardware more than the Wii. And no dealing with Wiimotes etc.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Game Boy Player + GBI homebrew looks awesome in 240p. That's basically it.

TBH I'm tempted to get a PAL cube myself, I could certainly cover it and then some if I sold my Component cable...

Ah ok. The gba player does support 240p. That's a long way to go for big screen gba, but I can see why I guess.

Westcb

Ah ok. The gba player does support 240p. That's a long way to go for big screen gba, but I can see why I guess.

Yeah that's why I grabbed a pal cube because of the gba ever drive. My rgb monitor is only 20 inches anyway so should look pretty decent and I have my snes and nes hooked into so wanted the simplicity of outputting scart so it can hook into the scart switch. My gba player only has a USA load disc so that's why I need a mod chip. If it ends up playing my other discs too ill be happy but from what I'm reading GC has a 50/60hz mode natively as long as the game supports it and a forced 50/60 using the chip. No idea what compatibility problems to expect but worst case those select games will be played in the Wii that I have issue with, maybe somewhere here can chime in if its a cluster fuck :-) either way the GBA player is confirmed to work and if you buy a pal GBA player (complete and box sold for like 60 something bucks yesterday on eBay I was watching) you wouldn't need a chip.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Personally, I'd simply rather have a Gamecube hooked up to my PVM than a Wii. No setting up the sensor bar, no digging out the wiimotes, realizing the batteries are dead, etc. For actual Wii stuff I have the U in the living room. There's nothing preventing me from using s-video on the cube, but on my PVM RGB is so much better.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Personally, I'd simply rather have a Gamecube hooked up to my PVM than a Wii. No setting up the sensor bar, no digging out the wiimotes, realizing the batteries are dead, etc. For actual Wii stuff I have the U in the living room. There's nothing preventing me from using s-video on the cube, but on my PVM RGB is so much better.

I don't have a sensor bar hooked up. I have a classic plugged into the wiimote and can navigate to the cube menu with that. Plus I can play the few wii titles and WiiWare stuff too.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Yeah that's why I grabbed a pal cube because of the gba ever drive. My rgb monitor is only 20 inches anyway so should look pretty decent and I have my snes and nes hooked into so wanted the simplicity of outputting scart so it can hook into the scart switch. My gba player only has a USA load disc so that's why I need a mod chip. If it ends up playing my other discs too ill be happy but from what I'm reading GC has a 50/60hz mode natively as long as the game supports it and a forced 50/60 using the chip. No idea what compatibility problems to expect but worst case those select games will be played in the Wii that I have issue with, maybe somewhere here can chime in if its a cluster fuck :-) either way the GBA player is confirmed to work and if you buy a pal GBA player (complete and box sold for like 60 something bucks yesterday on eBay I was watching) you wouldn't need a chip.

Would a Freeloader disc work okay too? I've been considering getting myself a PAL Cube for the RGBs as well.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
So I've finally dug my old CRT back out from storage. It's a Samsung TXR-2035 from around 2003, which I bought new back then. Flat screen, component and S-video inputs. Its life was mostly lived out through component 480i Gamecube & PS2 at that time. After falling through the rabbit hole of RGB, framemeisters, and exceptional image quality, I started wanting to find out if this CRT could deliver a great 240p experience.

The best way to test this was via PS2 component playing a PS1 game, which does output 240p. And it did, and my eyes were opened.

ClYSODz.jpg

I recently grabbed an RGB -> component box from eBay (the seller has them here, too) and it's worked beautifully with everything I've thrown at it. The images can't really do it justice (pardon the phone pics), but this setup + a trip to the service menu have really done wonders:

ctrPIQD.jpg

c1ajjxy.jpg

I can't recommend this approach enough for anyone who's got a CRT laying dormant somewhere or can grab a great one for essentially free. Less involved than trying to source a PVM, and still well worth doing.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Gyrian, Those images look great! I especially love the Last Resort picture.

GAMEFAN

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I used the 27" version of that set as my main TV for almost a decade, it's a great set. I still keep it as a backup and pull it out every once in a while.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Is it just me or are a lot of the GameCubes listed as PAL on eBay aren't really PAL at all? People need to learn to list their stuff correctly.

Hell of a deal Dogg. Nice scoop!