CRT Fetish Thread

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm in the process of adding another shelf using the top half that I unbolted, and moving the built in power strip to the rear. I also have one of those SEGA branded power strips I'll be mounting as well. Hoping to get about 8 consoles permanently hooked up on the cart between the two shelves. Should be pretty sweet once done! I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Any advice on hooking a Sony 2950q to a AMD card using CRT Emulation Drivers. I followed the guides and everything installs and works great. I have tried a 5670 (version 2.0 driver) and a 4850 (version 1 and version 2 driver)on windows 7. I can get one PVM to sync with faint shadow of scrolling (20 inch sony tate), but not the other (the one I want to use,2950) the picture scrolls slowly from bottom to top, sync cleaner is on (also tried both syncs on back of the 2950). Pic included

First monitor scrolls uncontrollably vertical

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Try adjusting the hold on the affected monitor

That would be with pots on the board inside the case correct? I am trying to check the cable now to confirm that both H and V sync are tied together as well.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That would be with pots on the board inside the case correct? I am trying to check the cable now to confirm that both H and V sync are tied together as well.

On mine there's an external pot, probably depends on the display. Could be a service menu item on newer CRTs.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
On mine there's an external pot, probably depends on the display. Could be a service menu item on newer CRTs.

Do you remember the code to get into service menu, i know i have it somewhere , cant find it.

I confirmed that H and V sync from VGA is tied together on my cable with a resistor (wouldnt this make it comp sync?). In the manual for the 2950 it has this,

Capture.PNG

So looks like I am ok from that part ?

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
There's one that's like degauss + enter iirc, but I haven't had a model with an osd service menu.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
IJust found it surprising that there are no component inputs on it.

Component was really only common by the time flat CRTs (usually in silver housings) were in place. That one has a curved screen, so it'd be a bit older.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So after talking with Fudoh , he suggested using a Extron RGB to create a new RGBs signal from the video card. He doesnt think the way the cable combines the sync is sufficient for my 2950. Which adds up since it was always way more picky than my other monitor on taking sync. Time to hit up ebay !

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Any advice on hooking a Sony 2950q to a AMD card using CRT Emulation Drivers. I followed the guides and everything installs and works great. I have tried a 5670 (version 2.0 driver) and a 4850 (version 1 and version 2 driver)on windows 7. I can get one PVM to sync with faint shadow of scrolling (20 inch sony tate), but not the other (the one I want to use,2950) the picture scrolls slowly from bottom to top, sync cleaner is on (also tried both syncs on back of the 2950). Pic included

First monitor scrolls uncontrollably vertical

I had this issue with a 8' Sony PVM i had while setting it up for groovymame. Luckly i had a pots on the back and when i adjusted it, it fixed the issue

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
So after talking with Fudoh , he suggested using a Extron RGB to create a new RGBs signal from the video card. He doesnt think the way the cable combines the sync is sufficient for my 2950. Which adds up since it was always way more picky than my other monitor on taking sync. Time to hit up ebay !

I could not get my GameCube to sync to my rgb monitor using a bnc cable with a built in sync stripper, so I got this thing and it fixed it right up. Worth a shot for the price.
2e3b1c3b8a316604f94ec4394237523d.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I could not get my GameCube to sync to my rgb monitor using a bnc cable with a built in sync stripper, so I got this thing and it fixed it right up. Worth a shot for the price.
2e3b1c3b8a316604f94ec4394237523d.jpg

Yup that is the route I went, hopefully it works, this was just a fun side project and now its starting to cost too much money haha.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Where do you all get your cables from? What sites/ebay sellers are recommended? I just have found a PVM but have no cables to hook up anything, and I am wanting to start with my Super Famicom. I know what cables are needed, but not sure where to get them from

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Where do you all get your cables from? What sites/ebay sellers are recommended? I just have found a PVM but have no cables to hook up anything, and I am wanting to start with my Super Famicom. I know what cables are needed, but not sure where to get them from

Wyo makes a nice bnc breakout cable. I bought the actual snes scart cables from retro gaming cables before, and I bought a 3 dollar one off eBay from China. The cord is much thinner then other ones and I would guess is not shielded well but I switch back and forth and can't see a difference at all between those two. Only had it a month but it works and it was 3 bucks so.....
b2b6cf1ab1759117dfd78a2a40f7d03c.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I buy most of my cables from Retro Accessories on ebay. Cheap cables are usually junk. One thing I would suggest, if you are a big SNES fan, she and a few others make a really expensive, bulky SNES rgb cable and it is absolutely worth the money over the regular cables. Every other cable I've used have at least some audio buzzing, I have none with the super expensive one. The cheaper cables are fine with the modded NES and N64 though.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I buy most of my cables from Retro Accessories on ebay. Cheap cables are usually junk. One thing I would suggest, if you are a big SNES fan, she and a few others make a really expensive, bulky SNES rgb cable and it is absolutely worth the money over the regular cables. Every other cable I've used have at least some audio buzzing, I have none with the super expensive one. The cheaper cables are fine with the modded NES and N64 though.

Yeah, I weirdly chose going with the super thick SNES RGB cable for some odd reason and the thing works great. Everything I have purchased from that store has been quality.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Thanks guys, will do that for both. Looks like those good snes cables are oos at the moment, but I'll keep an eye on the future.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
She's not the only one that makes them, I actually bought mine from some dude in Europe.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer

RetroGablesCables.UK sent me a link for some RGC labeled Nintendo SCART CSync cables for half off. They worked fine but were malformed from the molding press or something.

I didnt jump on it right away and with a couple of days they were all gone.

Would have liked to get a couple more but it wasnt in the cards :*(

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Got out the Saturn and played some Virtua Fighter 2 last night on the Astro CRT using my Scart -> Jamma adapater.

29149116571_d4b3f072e3_c.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
nice. would've been cooler with a saturn padhack as well...