CRT Fetish Thread

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So after talking with Fudoh , he suggested using a Extron RGB to create a new RGBs signal from the video card. He doesnt think the way the cable combines the sync is sufficient for my 2950. Which adds up since it was always way more picky than my other monitor on taking sync. Time to hit up ebay !

Jackpot! Picked up a Extron RGB for 16 bucks and hooked it up, no more scrolling picture.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Looks so beautiful.
I been holding out on playing am2r simply because I haven't played the GB version yet.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Oh, that is sick.
I didn't know you could get something like this Extron RGB for $15 to convert 30khz signal to 15khz.

Definitely going to do this myself!

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Oh, that is sick.
I didn't know you could get something like this Extron RGB for $15 to convert 30khz signal to 15khz.

Definitely going to do this myself!

Its not converting to 15khz, just recreating the sync from H/V to RGBs, the Radeon card is outputting hte 15khz signal using CRT Emulation 2.0 Drivers.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Its not converting to 15khz, just recreating the sync from H/V to RGBs, the Radeon card is outputting hte 15khz signal using CRT Emulation 2.0 Drivers.

I wonder if those drivers will work with my Thinkpad W500.
It has a FireGL V5700, which is similar to an HD3650

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
The picture from my AES has a shadowy effect as shown below. The output is RGB via scart to my PVM 20L5. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

2dc6d1c.jpg
k3m2hw.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The picture from my AES has a shadowy effect as shown below. The output is RGB via scart to my PVM 20L5. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

2dc6d1c.jpg
k3m2hw.jpg
On my Turbo Duo RGB mod I had some shadowing and it was due to the cable/output no being properly grounded. Also it could just be a simple video setting issue if your contrast or brightness is set too high. Those are my guesses :O

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It could also be the tube showing its age, or the contrast is cranked up too high.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
On my Turbo Duo RGB mod I had some shadowing and it was due to the cable/output no being properly grounded. Also it could just be a simple video setting issue if your contrast or brightness is set too high. Those are my guesses :O

Thanks I'll check the grounding.

It could also be the tube showing its age, or the contrast is cranked up too high.

It's not doing it for anything else that I can see.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy

I actually had to do the same thing and get a Extron RGB 202 Rxi (pretty cheap too). My JVC CRT is picky about the sync signal and had distortion along the top from the RGBHV signal generated by my 15KHz Mame PC. I've yet to set up the box but I'm glad to know this worked for others.

AM2R looks amazing in RGB and S-video.

WcccPjLh.jpg
icmHy39h.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I actually had to do the same thing and get a Extron RGB 202 Rxi (pretty cheap too). My JVC CRT is picky about the sync signal and had distortion along the top from the RGBHV signal generated by my 15KHz Mame PC. I've yet to set up the box but I'm glad to know this worked for others.

AM2R looks amazing in RGB and S-video.

View attachment 38867
View attachment 38868

Yeah AM2R is why I decided to build something, I have most of the old consoles already, but its cool to run some PC projects.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I found a place about an hour from me that has some 20" PVM's for $100. Worth it at that price? I don't really see myself finding them anywhere else locally.

capnd77

Marked Wolf
I found a place about an hour from me that has some 20" PVM's for $100. Worth it at that price? I don't really see myself finding them anywhere else locally.

What kind of PVM? For a 100 bucks, playing in RGB is well worth the price.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
20M2MDU's are great monitors. If you can get one in working shape for 100 or less, take it.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Ok I have one more n00b pvm question. I picked up an 8" 8042Q model from 2001 the other day (before finding out about those 20" models I can hopefully get.) When turning on I get no picture, no flash, nothing. I've never owned a PVM before, but I can't seem to get any sort of picture. Am I doing something wrong or is this thing dead?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!

I know, right?
I was tempted to get it just for that. I already have a 20" PVM, though. Let some other person who really wants it have it.

Ok I have one more n00b pvm question. I picked up an 8" 8042Q model from 2001 the other day (before finding out about those 20" models I can hopefully get.) When turning on I get no picture, no flash, nothing. I've never owned a PVM before, but I can't seem to get any sort of picture. Am I doing something wrong or is this thing dead?

Do you hear the click and hum of the degausser?
If not, may be a power issue. How comfortable are you with opening it up and checking fuses or voltages?

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yes there is a click when it is first turned on, but nothing really after that. I don't have any experience with tvs, so I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be opening one up.