CRT Fetish Thread

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I was thinking about mirroring, but I haven't looked into it just yet. I honestly wasn't even planning on buying two, but it was on the auction as a lot of two.

I've been wanting to test the waters of pro monitors and this seemed like a pretty good opportunity for a reasonable price. I passed on a 19" Panasonic (I forget the model) and a Sony PVM-1944Q that were each up for $200 which didn't sell from the same seller (UW-Milwaukee). When I picked these up today, the dude that runs the surplus said that the 19" monitors would be listed next week for $100 each. I know they're kinda old models, but around $100 might be worth it. I'm still thinking since I don't want to go whole hog with the holidays coming up.

Also, he let me know that these came out of their cable broadcast department's back storage room and they're in the process of cleaning out everything to get all new equipment. That means the newer stuff they're using right now is going to probably be ready in January sometime, so I'm looking forward to that. Maybe I'll be able to get a decent larger and newer model in a couple months.

They might be willing to sell you stuff outside of the auctions, as they would save on auction fees.

Those Panasonic CRTs look nice, let us know how they look once you've got 'em setup!

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
They might be willing to sell you stuff outside of the auctions, as they would save on auction fees.

Those Panasonic CRTs look nice, let us know how they look once you've got 'em setup!

Yep, I asked the guy if I could buy anything outside of the auction, however, because these are coming from the University, they have state regulations that say they have to be offered to the open public in a, "fair way." I suppose I can see the point since these were essentially bought with taxpayer's money and so they don't want buddies of the people running the program always getting first dibs. Luckily, this action was through UW-Madison's SWAP program so I only payed an extra $3 above the auction price.

I'll try to post some pictures shortly. I'm gonna see if I can make a DVD with a color bar to check the calibration.

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Well here's a pic of the first one. Looking pretty damn good if I say so myself. Obviously the camera takes a bit of the color away. I love how the red comes out in particular.

IMG_20171116_180304463-751x1335.jpg

Here's the second one hooked to my Neo so I don't lose points. Looks great, but again, my phone camera washes the color out a bit. So all in all, I'm very happy with the purchase.

IMG_20171116_183332753-1336x1002.jpg

Last edited:

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
wow ive never seen these before.

interesting that they have PAL/NTSC switch on them

what about the back? what kind of inputs does it take?

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
My 20L2MD is sitting in a tv repair shop. I brought it over there on Tuesday. He started looking into it today. I'll drive by there tomorrow and get an update.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
My 20L2MD is sitting in a tv repair shop. I brought it over there on Tuesday. He started looking into it today. I'll drive by there tomorrow and get an update.

man im really hoping it works out for you. its a good monitor, it'll be nice if it can be brought back to life

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm using RGB right now. Looks like it takes all the flavors of inputs.

IMG_20171116_191924326-1002x1336.jpg

It looks like if I want to mirror I'll have to go SVideo for the other one since it looks like that's the only output.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
man im really hoping it works out for you. its a good monitor, it'll be nice if it can be brought back to life

Yeah me too. Either way, I'm done with it. I should have listened to the non-brain injury advice and not worried too much about it. I'm technically $230 into this set now. I literally barely was able to get the $150 put aside for it to begin with. Live and learn I guess.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Nice to see some Panasonic love! I miss the old days when Skips was around and still doing reviews on monitors. He totally sold me on the 2 Panasonics I have. I always appreciated how good the s-video quality is on them. Kinda nice when you don't have everything under the sun RGB nodded. Congrats on the pick up :)

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice to see some Panasonic love! I miss the old days when Skips was around and still doing reviews on monitors. He totally sold me on the 2 Panasonics I have. I always appreciated how good the s-video quality is on them. Kinda nice when you don't have everything under the sun RGB nodded. Congrats on the pick up :)

Hey thanks :). What models do you have?

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Got a call from the repair guy. He said two diodes needed to be replaced and that should fix the problem. I'm not so sure of which diodes he's mentioning, he wasn't specific. I'm a little skeptic on the estimate of $150 for the parts/labor though. We'll see when he gets the parts in and gets it all back together.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That sounds about right. If he's familiar with CRT's it probably took an ~hour to find the problem, then when he gets the part in, another hour to fix (guessing here)...so when a car mechanic charges $75-100/hour, this price isn't too far off (and the parts for this are probably a TON cheaper than your car ;)

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
That sounds about right. If he's familiar with CRT's it probably took an ~hour to find the problem, then when he gets the part in, another hour to fix (guessing here)...so when a car mechanic charges $75-100/hour, this price isn't too far off (and the parts for this are probably a TON cheaper than your car ;)

Appreciate the perspective. I hope what he says is the problem, and what he does fixes it. I mean, I don't wanna NOT pay him, but at the same time, I'm not paying him to fix things that don't actually fix the problem I brought it to him for.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Appreciate the perspective. I hope what he says is the problem, and what he does fixes it. I mean, I don't wanna NOT pay him, but at the same time, I'm not paying him to fix things that don't actually fix the problem I brought it to him for.

Well I mean you wouldn't pay him until after he fixes it right?

The $150 quote seems legit to me. It's hard to get a professional CRT technician to do much for any less.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Well I mean you wouldn't pay him until after he fixes it right?

The $150 quote seems legit to me. It's hard to get a professional CRT technician to do much for any less.

Yeah, I'm not upset about the cost or anything. I just don't want him to do work on it, then it not actually fix the problem and expect me to pay for what he did. I dunno, when he said "SHOULD" fix the problem after telling me he found out what the problem is, I just felt uneasy about it. I asked if he's sure and it's guaranteed to fix the problem, and he said he won't know until he gets the parts and puts it all together.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Got a call from the repair guy. He said two diodes needed to be replaced and that should fix the problem. I'm not so sure of which diodes he's mentioning, he wasn't specific. I'm a little skeptic on the estimate of $150 for the parts/labor though. We'll see when he gets the parts in and gets it all back together.

Must be the PIN DAMPER diodes here:

a.jpg

It's the modulation diode circuit on the east west correction signal coming from the PIN OUT transistor Q503 (not shown above) before being injected in the horizontal yoke.

Same problem on a different monitor:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=387255

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
I was given a CRT recently from a person that was moving. It's a 30+ inch Toshiba TV from the late 90s/early 2000s it seems, which is gonna be a pain to move, but I plan on getting it modded for RGB Scart as soon as I'm able to actually move the damn thing. That and I need to make space for it too. I'll have to take pics of it when I go back to pick it up. I ordered the Scart socket from ebay, so hopefully I'll have it in my hands soon. I heard the Toshiba TVs of the late 90s are relatively easy to get RGB out of, so hopefully it shouldn't be much trouble at all.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Must be the PIN DAMPER diodes here:

View attachment 47378

It's the modulation diode circuit on the east west correction signal coming from the PIN OUT transistor Q503 (not shown above) before being injected in the horizontal yoke.

Same problem on a different monitor:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=387255

Interesting. Doesn't seem like something hard to replace myself lol. However, I'd probably screw it up even more, or kill myself somehow. If this guy fixes it, then I'll be broke but happy. Again, I appreciate all the info you guys provide.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Hey thanks :). What models do you have?

I have a BT-H1390Y and a BT-H1390YN. I was lucky enough to snag them when prices weren't ridiculous. One of them was actually a back up monitor at a college. They plugged it in to make sure it was working and then tucked it away as a back up in the original box. Unfortunately the box for chucked, but still a sweet deal.

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Just got a call from the repair dude... he said it's DONE and FIXED! He said he's still running tests on it, but it looks like everything is fixed!! SO EXCITED! Unfortunately, I can't get it until tomorrow morning.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Just got a call from the repair dude... he said it's DONE and FIXED! He said he's still running tests on it, but it looks like everything is fixed!! SO EXCITED! Unfortunately, I can't get it until tomorrow morning.

What was the damage? (i.e. cost)

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

Nice, glad to hear it!

F34R

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Same. Just hope his idea of "fixed" is the same as mine lol. Like, the diodes are fixed, or replacing the faulty diodes fixed the picture problems? lol