CRT Fetish Thread

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
If it's the regular 2x it's just a basic line doubler, don't expect miracles out of it. Also if you aren't using component it's gonna look bad no matter what scaler is used since none of the gaming based scalers can process composite or svideo worth a damn.
I'm on SCART RGB. I've seen some nice scanline filters on the 5X, but the option on the 2X is poor.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Had to leave my PVM with my parents back in Canada. Ain't no way that think is getting shipped to Europe.

I picked up a Retrotink 2X and it's nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. Maybe they've been doing all their retro gaming on flatscreens the past decade.
You shouldn't have bought that. The Retrotink 2X is basically just an adapter to help the analog inputs on new TV's work a little better with old consoles. It's a half-step solution for people who don't want to throw a lot of money at the problem.

Get an actual digital HDMI upscaler like the Retrotink 5X. The 2X and the 5X are completely different sorts of devices. For someone going from a CRT, there's no way you'll be happy with a half-assed solution like the 2X. There's a 4K version coming too.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
@doaal
Get an europeen consumer TV. They normally all do RGB and most of them also work with NTSC composite signals. It's still pretty easy to get a decent CRT here in Germany for free. Shouldn't be a problem in EU.
I picked one up for free two days ago, a very nice Sony Trinitron KV-14M1D. It's only 14" but that's right what I need in my setup. It came with a third-party remote control with slightly different button layout than the original which gave me a tough nut to track, took me several hours to find the right sequence for the service menu (it's "TV on standby, then press "INFO" - "5" - "VOLUME UP" - "TV/R").

Now my trusty old Commodore 1084 can finally get the refurbishment it badly needs.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I have the same LMD sans stand. It’s alright, but no 480p sucks.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
@doaal
Get an europeen consumer TV. They normally all do RGB and most of them also work with NTSC composite signals. It's still pretty easy to get a decent CRT here in Germany for free. Shouldn't be a problem in EU.
I'll see what's on classifieds. I got my PVM for free many years ago and when I have seen a good CRT for sale in recent years it's been for a dumb price. If not then maybe I'll try the 5X as Alec recommends.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Some really awesome displays in this thread... I'd love to track down a decent sized (say 25") Sony or Mitsubishi broadcast monitor some day...

For now, I use this little bad boy. A Sony Trinitron KV-20WS1U. It's a 20" Widescreen set, quite novel when Sony brought them out (circa '97 / '98).

The speakers are awesome, and it's even got a built in subwoofer!

I paid a £1 for it. :D

I only really use it to play Time Crisis, although occasionally I will use it for other stuff.

52256362416_3a42c9955e.jpg

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Does anyone know where to get a good degaussing wand?
I've read that the Arlec XT 8150 is good, but they're no longer being made (difficult to find).

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Does anyone know where to get a good degaussing wand in Australia?
I've read that the Arlec XT 8150 is good, but they're no longer being made (difficult to find).

No.

Now get ready to be dropbeared.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So, what kind of device do you guys use to test caps- an ESR meter, or a multimeter?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
So, what kind of device do you guys use to test caps- an ESR meter, or a multimeter?
Component tester; multimeter is pretty much worthless for capacitor testing. A cheap component tester will do resistors, caps with ESR, and numerous other components.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The 2950Q PVM I have, component works OK, except there is no blue in the picture, but one time I got that working, so it might be a connection problem (with the RCA->BNC adapter).
Also, RGB has no sync at all. If you use composite video, there is blue in the picture (it has all the colours).

Component tester; multimeter is pretty much worthless for capacitor testing. A cheap component tester will do resistors, caps with ESR, and numerous other components.
A component tester- is that something different from an ESR meter? Which component tester do you use?

www.ebay.com.au/itm/385065388231?hash=item59a7af88c7:g:J4EAAOSwR7di-wdH&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA4O224si7SwqPsQbd1a2E7Ct3RecSUEBEoWzJO%2BaRfO%2B2%2BBOPEktAYb%2FiYSltefhto4rOKxc7blyHAjQzrRe42M2fGGU4kJAnA6XI5OKyCvpMb%2B%2BNGTsh8zFOrgIGwXDGdFBvPKXnx%2BPuLHKD29%2B%2B6N9sePb%2BADKaFPlmrl%2Fl0UU9d5ae7FkTbFlTB5hsy9mD0J4V4Nxh5eEOCVjdIPyTuLnVdDUzPNqGODA%2FQrRAzwGiyrhLG%2BVC6moJzX3OnzdV9x4uSbQqZcnrovYwhvp%2B3S227Nb9w%2F03nFRxHUHkPUn3%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9Sh7K6UYQ

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Here:

Multi-function Tester, Longruner 1.8 inch Colorful Display Pocketable Multifunctional TFT Backlight Transistor LCR-TC1 Tester for Diode Triode Capacitor Resistor Transistor LCR ESR NPN PNP MOSFET LW21 https://a.co/d/dqi72sT

Hopefully they stock those in your region. For the price it's a no brainer; it helped me discover a whole batch of capacitors I got were only 50nf instead of 100. Kinda a minor discrepancy lol. But cap wise it does capacitance, ESR, and v loss. Just keep in mind (you probably know) caps must be tested out of circuit.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Here:

Multi-function Tester, Longruner 1.8 inch Colorful Display Pocketable Multifunctional TFT Backlight Transistor LCR-TC1 Tester for Diode Triode Capacitor Resistor Transistor LCR ESR NPN PNP MOSFET LW21 https://a.co/d/dqi72sT

Hopefully they stock those in your region. For the price it's a no brainer; it helped me discover a whole batch of capacitors I got were only 50nf instead of 100. Kinda a minor discrepancy lol. But cap wise it does capacitance, ESR, and v loss. Just keep in mind (you probably know) caps must be tested out of circuit.
So, from what I've read, some ESR's can test capacitors in circuit (?). It would be better not to need to desolder each capacitor, before it can be tested.

www.amazon.com/Signstek-MESR-100-Ranging-Circuit-Capacitor/dp/B00GYSFOM6?&linkCode=sl1&tag=yamanelectron-20&linkId=d88dd0283482254cb1c7726e3c887620&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I you're only worried about ESR then yea. I totally get not wanting to desolder them to test them, it's a pain, but for capacitance it's the only good way.