Custom Candy-Cab build

J-P

NEST Puppet
So I work at a decent little design place. I've got access to a metal shop, CNC / Laser/water-cutting and blast-finishing (as well as dip-coating and a bunch of other stuff).

I've suggested that we try to build a cab. Just as a fun side-project.

Idea stages at the moment, but I'll be making a proper scale model soon with depth for all the panels and framing. So - yes I'm aware scale is way off on this.

cabinetConcept_1.md.png

I'm somewhat basing it off a Pony MkII 28.

29" (standard res) tube has been sourced already, and I'm getting sticks, buttons, power supply and an MVS board to shove in there for now.

Let me know what you think - if there are any obvious flaws or things I'm missing. It might be a little too 'inclined' for some. So, that might change.

I'll post progress shots as I go, but thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Very ambitious and cool project! Looking forward to progress pics. Good luck!

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks cool. The screen's viewing angle in relation to the control panel looks a bit uncomfortable though. Sure the angle is correct?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Looks cool. The screen's viewing angle in relation to the control panel looks a bit uncomfortable though. Sure the angle is correct?

It might be something that doesn't look comfortable in a picture, but when you actually sit and play on it yourself, it's actually quite comfortable.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It might be something that doesn't look comfortable in a picture, but when you actually sit and play on it yourself, it's actually quite comfortable.

Yup, similar to the MVU.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Could just copy an Aero City, measurements are already available and it's a pretty simple cab, you could scale it up for the 29" monitor too. I really want to see this take off though, there's been plenty of ideas but few have pulled through.

J-P

NEST Puppet
Thanks guys: to answer a few immediate worries..

Yeah, I am also worried about that; but I've played a lot of older Jaleco cabs which have similar setups, and they are pretty comfy (as Filthyrear mentioned in chat it does kinda look like a Golden Tee Cabaret). It has a certain look for sure with that viewing angle - to be honest, nice for vertical shooters. This will be wired up for JAMMA - and I do own a few PCB's so... I'll be rotating that screen a few times.

Also - I'll be getting the monitor in next week. One of the first things we'll do is set up a few stools, bolt the monitor to an adjustable incline/height rig that we'll build and make sure that it's physically comfortable before we even go ahead with plans.

Could just copy an Aero City, measurements are already available and it's a pretty simple cab, you could scale it up for the 29" monitor too. I really want to see this take off though, there's been plenty of ideas but few have pulled through.
One thing that's going for it is that it's for my work - and they're paying the dime on it, so it's definitely gonna happen. But yeah, I didn't necessarily want to clone an existing cab fully, I'd prefer to design my own -- even though, that is kinda dumb as I could just have bought a control panel for cheap and now I have to make everything from scratch.

Will post when I have more on it. Probably going to be a bit slow on the updates for a bit, as I'm still waiting for all the crap to arrive (cables/pcb's etc) - but when I have that rig set up will snap a few shots.

Last edited:

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
I would personally put the speakers up on top, like on the capcom status. Speakers below the monitor will limit what speaker cones you can use, due to clearance and shielding requirements. Reminds me of some of the older taito cabs BTW.

Totino

n00b
My first thought was the angle also, but I see you have that covered.

Otherwise, as someone without cnc experience, this looks really cool and I can't wait to watch your progress. It's ambitious but will be awesome if you guys follow through. You could even make something of your final design of it ends up working.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
I would personally put the speakers up on top, like on the capcom status. Speakers below the monitor will limit what speaker cones you can use, due to clearance and shielding requirements. Reminds me of some of the older taito cabs BTW.

This.