Custom Neo Sticks?

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Hey guys, I've been considering a custom stick for the Neo for a wile now. Almost picked up one from Ecksnine back in 2009. I own all the factory controllers and the Fighting Stick Neo II. While the Fighting Stick Neo is the better of them, it still doesn't feel as good as my newer Qanba and Hori sticks for newer consoles.

I am pretty set on Seimitsu parts. I've only ever used an LS-56 and LS-58 in my Qanba stick with an 8-way gate. I primarily use it for shmups. I like the amount of force it takes to move the LS-56 and LS-58 around. The Sanwa JLF is too loose feeling for me. Also, the travel required before activation on the JLF is a bit too much in my opinion. I think I would prefer a stick with the resistance of the LS-56, but slightly more travel to activation, somewhere between the LS-56 and JLF.

Any of you guys have suggestions on what kind of stick to use? I've heard the LS-32 is supposed to compete with the JLF. What do those of you that have used one think? Also, any idea who I could get in contact with to make a stick?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Make sure you lube you ball & shaft before playing with them

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can make your stick activate faster baby, just PM me.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Hey guys, I've been considering a custom stick for the Neo for a wile now. Almost picked up one from Ecksnine back in 2009. I own all the factory controllers and the Fighting Stick Neo II. While the Fighting Stick Neo is the better of them, it still doesn't feel as good as my newer Qanba and Hori sticks for newer consoles.

I am pretty set on Seimitsu parts. I've only ever used an LS-56 and LS-58 in my Qanba stick with an 8-way gate. I primarily use it for shmups. I like the amount of force it takes to move the LS-56 and LS-58 around. The Sanwa JLF is too loose feeling for me. Also, the travel required before activation on the JLF is a bit too much in my opinion. I think I would prefer a stick with the resistance of the LS-56, but slightly more travel to activation, somewhere between the LS-56 and JLF.

Any of you guys have suggestions on what kind of stick to use? I've heard the LS-32 is supposed to compete with the JLF. What do those of you that have used one think? Also, any idea who I could get in contact with to make a stick?

X9 built me a stick in '09, rat son has it now I believe.

It had a JLF. But if you're into shooters, the LS32 is the way to go.

That's whart I have in my cabs.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Custom all the way. Used to make my own, haven't built anything in years, if I ever get back into it it'll be just for personal use.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
LS-32 is pretty JLF-like, I don't notice a super huge difference between them, though it does feel like the 32 has slightly less deadzone.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
JLF, JLW (Not sure if being made anymore), Super IL (You're not gonna find them anymore)

Octogate, love the feel of the plate, has this clickyness to it that feels just right, it makes it harder to pull of some moves but at the same time it makes it easier to pull others as long as you know your center, you're all set.

My problem with Seimitsu sticks lies in the manufacturing and the matrials used. Same problem Suzo has with the molds. As crazy as it may sound, you can feel the traces of the mold where the plates would meet at the manufacturing process. I'm a big fan of the Seimitsu shaft and the roundness of the gates which make for a pretty smooth travel but I can't get past the feel of the hardware. The buttons are ok but they feel "plasticy" to me, like rubber actuators like the Gamepads and old sticks like the NES Advantge feels, not necessarily the same feel but the resistance on the buttons don't feel microswitced. Sanwa has even less resistance on their buttons, their RG line of buttons feels like quality hardware but their regular buttons feel really good though, I can't complaint.

I'm a big fan of Happs when Industries Lorenzo used to be with them. The competition buttons and the Super Joystick were my favorites from that lyne up. Conave buttons are also cool if they are used for 2 or 3 buttons CPs or for very ergonomic button layouts like the Neo if going custom. Convex are just so nice too though, they work great for a classic SF2 layout and even a modern one like the NAC layout.

I have this joystick case that I never finished, but I had this idea of setting it up like a hybrid of sorts, hopefully I'll get off my lazy ass and actually finish it someday, this thread is making me wanna redo my Neo stick now, I have a JLF Octogate, RG buttons. The thing is a beast, but the hardware is red and the case is black, I might repaint and do different art than the one it has now. OK, now I'm just ranting about things I'll never get to do...

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
LS-32 is pretty JLF-like, I don't notice a super huge difference between them, though it does feel like the 32 has slightly less deadzone.

I think the ls32 has noticeably more dead zone. (By dead zone, do you mean slop?)

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
He was trying to sell it, actually. I'm not sure if it eventually sold, or not.

Jon

Yeah, I remember seeing him post about it on facebook, a year ago or so maybe.

I think the ls32 has noticeably more dead zone. (By dead zone, do you mean slop?)

Yeah, the dead zone is basically that area in the middle of the stick where you can move it around without actually activating anything.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I still have it, tried to sell it due to personal financial crisis. I don't own a neo anymore because of that too.
I got too many lowballing on it so decided to keep it.
I did change the balltop(bubble) and buttons to clear ones.
All sanwa parts, basically unused.
It is a beautiful stick though.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I still have it, tried to sell it due to personal financial crisis. I don't own a neo anymore because of that too.
I got too many lowballing on it so decided to keep it.
I did change the balltop(bubble) and buttons to clear ones.
All sanwa parts, basically unused.
It is a beautiful stick though.

If it's nice and clean, shoot me an offer on Facebook. Bong resin need not apply.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
you can use oversized actuators with the JLF to reduce the deadzone, and use different springs to make it stiffer... paradise arcade sold both. Might be something you want to check out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, my preferred all around stick is a JLF with octo gate and 2 lb spring. I haven't tried an oversized actuator yet, but I think I'd like it.

Seimitsu is king of shooters though, but I can't do supers in fighting games with my LS32 worth a damn.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
you can use oversized actuators with the JLF to reduce the deadzone, and use different springs to make it stiffer... paradise arcade sold both. Might be something you want to check out.

Thanks, I've checked them out, and they seem to have a bunch of stuff. Think I may have ordered my LS-58 from them a while back. I've found a few sites that sell different kinds of enclosures. I've never wired up a brand new stick before, just replaced parts, but I may try and put one together myself. No clue what tools I'll need or if there's a specific kind of DB15 connector I'll need. Still looking into that.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member

X9 built me a stick in '09, rat son has it now I believe.

It had a JLF. But if you're into shooters, the LS32 is the way to go.

That's whart I have in my cabs.

What happened to Ecksnine?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Also have an original AES stick around here somewhere.
I built an adaptor so I can use the 4 button stick on my ps2.
Sadly, none of this stuff really sees action anymore.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Also have an original AES stick around here somewhere.
I built an adaptor so I can use the 4 button stick on my ps2.
Sadly, none of this stuff really sees action anymore.

Thems are nice!

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
OP, why not just modify your newer Qanba or Hori to support Neo-Geo? It's not that hard to add a DA-15/DB-15 jack and wire it up to the existing PCB (including 5V).

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
OP, why not just modify your newer Qanba or Hori to support Neo-Geo? It's not that hard to add a DA-15/DB-15 jack and wire it up to the existing PCB (including 5V).

Well, I have no experience doing anything like that with joysticks or other electronics. Don't really have a set of tools to use. Also, I would prefer not to mod those sticks. There are a couple places I'm looking into that can build a stick. It's a bit more than I'd like to pay, but I also get to customize it.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If you want a cheap (but worthwhile) DIY solution, you can just buy some stick with a button layout you like and replace the buttons and stick with quality parts, rip out whatever PCB is in there and just wire it all to a DB15. (All you'll be using is the case, there are quite a lot of cheap products which should be suited for a job like this, you won't even need to buy a new one.)

It's really not hard to do and all you need is a soldering iron and a few parts. The easiest way would be to wire up an extension cord: cut off the plug (or buy one without, there were sellers on ebay offering both for little bucks before) and put the wire through the opening that is alread there, connect the ends to stick/buttons. This might be a little getto, but a nice way to enter the stick building world.