Cyborg Force, new 2023 project

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
the games aren't meant to compete on the same level as arcade games from the 90's, and that's okay.
Then why bother spending your time programming for the Neo Geo?

Unless you were deliberately going for a Vib Ribbon vibe, then I don't see the point of creating an inferior product for superior hardware.

The only thing you like is that someone else is churning out another bedroom coded effort for a long dead platform, that even the most recent, official, custodians of couldn't create a decent game for.

I suppose you think garbage like Digger Man is the pinnacle of haute couture in the pantheon of the neo geo library, for the simple fact that it is a game you can play on the neo geo. :unsure:

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
Looks more fun than Gunlord

Looks a lot smoother with a lot more going on than an Amiga or Atari ST game.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Then why bother spending your time programming for the Neo Geo?

Unless you were deliberately going for a Vib Ribbon vibe, then I don't see the point of creating an inferior product for superior hardware.

The only thing you like is that someone else is churning out another bedroom coded effort for a long dead platform, that even the most recent, official, custodians of couldn't create a decent game for.

I suppose you think garbage like Digger Man is the pinnacle of haute couture in the pantheon of the neo geo library, for the simple fact that it is a game you can play on the neo geo. :unsure:
You're overthinking this. They like Neo Geo and that's what they want to code for. Let them do whatever makes them happy.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Tarma, you know I got love for ya my dude, but nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy this game.

Is it as pretty to look at as Last Blade 2? No. Is it great there's a legit homebrew team that isn't pretentious and totally fucked like NGDEV? Yes.

Johnny is good people. I'm of the opinion that at the very least it's worth buying teh r0m of Cyborg Force to encourage Neo Byte Force to keep plugging away at making bigger and better games. I say that as someone that had zero interest in giving NGDEV any money, even for the Dreamcast releases. To each their own though. :)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
You're overthinking this. They like Neo Geo and that's what they want to code for. Let them do whatever makes them happy.
I'm not. They can do whatever they want. The Neo Geo deserves better.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Tarma, you know I got love for ya my dude, but nobody is holding a gun to your head to buy this game.

Is it as pretty to look at as Last Blade 2? No. Is it great there's a legit homebrew team that isn't pretentious and totally fucked like NGDEV? Yes.

Johnny is good people. I'm of the opinion that at the very least it's worth buying teh r0m of Cyborg Force to encourage Neo Byte Force to keep plugging away at making bigger and better games. I say that as someone that had zero interest in giving NGDEV any money, even for the Dreamcast releases. To each their own though. :)

Of course not - I get judged for buying legit original carts, so who am I to judge those who want to buy this?

I just don't get all the fawning over a game that looks like something my son put together one lunchtime in his coding class.

I don't think it needs explaining that I'm not a fan of homebrew, by anyone, on the Neo Geo, but at least make it look like a Neo Geo game.

The Japanese insert is good - I'll give them that. Shame it's easier on the eye than what's on the cartridge.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Of course not - I get judged for buying legit original carts, so who am I to judge those who want to buy this?

I just don't get all the fawning over a game that looks like something my son put together one lunchtime in his coding class.

I don't think it needs explaining that I'm not a fan of homebrew, by anyone, on the Neo Geo, but at least make it look like a Neo Geo game.

The Japanese insert is good - I'll give them that. Shame it's easier on the eye than what's on the cartridge.

I totally get where you're coming from, and I'm with you on that. I'm planning on picking up some big money homecarts within the next year myself and have splurged on a few recently that are relatively pricey. Haters can call us goobs all they want, but we both know that nothing out there on any platform compares to what SNK did with the Neo Geo in its hey day. That's why we're still here twenty years after the last SNKP release and nearly twenty-five after the last real SNK release.

I still disagree though. Granted, I have not played Cyborg Force myself, but it's still impressive for what it is. I say that as I recently went back to uni for computer science and one of the projects I did was a very basic platformer (think VERY shitty Sonic) written in assembly. It took two weeks on my own just to code it from the ground up. Collision, gravity, etc. and it's horrible by comparison. Cyborg Force is a legitimate effort by some dedicated people. However, I'm confident someone could make the "game" that rhymes with the name of H.P. Lovecraft's cat in an afternoon. It's not even in the same league as some of the more recent homebrews.

The Neo doesn't "deserve" anything. It has been dead officially for decades. Homebrew won't ever match what went on in house at SNK. It simply can't. You know this. We all know this. Some folks (like myself) are thrilled someone is making an effort without the NGDEV fleecing involved. Don't rain on our parade, brother. :D

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
That's why we're still here twenty years after the last SNKP release and nearly twenty-five after the last real SNK release.
Fuck me, you know how to make me feel old.

The Neo doesn't "deserve" anything. It has been dead officially for decades. Homebrew won't ever match what went on in house at SNK. It simply can't. You know this. We all know this. Some folks (like myself) are thrilled someone is making an effort without the NGDEV fleecing involved. Don't rain on our parade, brother.
I am old and bitter... too late to save an old fool yearning for better days behind him.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Fuck me, you know how to make me feel old.

I am old and bitter... too late to save an old fool yearning for better days behind him.

Hey geezer, don't worry, no disrespect intended because I still remember and appreciate your posts back in those days when I was just a teenager with big dreams of scrounging up $1000 for a JP Slug 1 cart. ;) Simpler times, yeah? Shit, I wish I could've been a little older back then like you guys and gotten more carts for cheap.

It's okay though, we will always have our memories of our beloved hunk of silicon and plastic. At the arcade, at home, whatever. It's all good, fam. I still yearn for those better days of gaming too. I guess that makes both of us old fools.

Cheers, bro. :cheers:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Legit original carts are above any homebrew. Judge away.

I'm not fawning. Just saying let people have their shits and grins.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The Neo also has gems like Legend of Success Joe and Riding Hero. Not sure if Digger Man is worse. :unsure:

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
at least make it look like a Neo Geo game.

Heh, I hear you, but... You realize that it actually doesn't mean much?

Even BITD, fans moaned about the shift from the "megashock" look when SNK themselves published KoF'94.
Then came more moaning about the CGI shooters, which were, you know - full of CGI.
Then came the Playmore years... I saw you put forward Sengoku 3 as a staple of Neo Geo looks; well some people call it sub-PGM garbage.

Anyway, the game looks what it looks and that's one thing (which doesn't have much to do with the programming btw). We want to improve that, but can't do it without a budget - and for that, we decided to make games and sell them. Like, instead of mortgaging our house or launching a kickstarter, for example.

Still, we tried to make it so it plays like the old shit, for good and bad. And I think this hellhole of a forum is one of the few places on the interwebz where this can get some appreciation. :)

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I totally get where you're coming from, and I'm with you on that. I'm planning on picking up some big money homecarts within the next year myself and have splurged on a few recently that are relatively pricey. Haters can call us goobs all they want, but we both know that nothing out there on any platform compares to what SNK did with the Neo Geo in its hey day. That's why we're still here twenty years after the last SNKP release and nearly twenty-five after the last real SNK release.

I still disagree though. Granted, I have not played Cyborg Force myself, but it's still impressive for what it is. I say that as I recently went back to uni for computer science and one of the projects I did was a very basic platformer (think VERY shitty Sonic) written in assembly. It took two weeks on my own just to code it from the ground up. Collision, gravity, etc. and it's horrible by comparison. Cyborg Force is a legitimate effort by some dedicated people. However, I'm confident someone could make the "game" that rhymes with the name of H.P. Lovecraft's cat in an afternoon. It's not even in the same league as some of the more recent homebrews.

The Neo doesn't "deserve" anything. It has been dead officially for decades. Homebrew won't ever match what went on in house at SNK. It simply can't. You know this. We all know this. Some folks (like myself) are thrilled someone is making an effort without the NGDEV fleecing involved. Don't rain on our parade, brother. :D
Excellent post btw.

The work that SNK did in the 90s was magic in a bottle, and no one knew it at the time. There was optimism that games would just get better and better, and for a time they did. But by the mid 00s the smaller to medium developers were starting to get merged with bigger companies and those bigger companies are all about profit, shareholder returns and sensible but boring stuff that drastically reduced the risks that developers were willing to make in order to make content.

Fast forward to now and you get rise and repeat franchises like COD, Assassins Creed, Sports games dominating the charts. Even the ‘big’ games last year like Starfields and new Zelda are basically safe bets (‘make Skyrim in space because we know Mass Effect was successful’, ‘make a version of Zelda that will appeal to middle aged consumers like neomoe’).

Anyway, I have no shame in goobin’ for old games and no one else should either. The crazy prices from the Covid era appear to have cooled off a bit as well which helps. (Or maybe it’s just recession time and people are selling their high priced but unnecessary shit, whatever).

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The work that SNK did in the 90s was magic in a bottle, and no one knew it at the time. There was optimism that games would just get better and better, and for a time they did.
People knew it was magic. That's why I wanted a Neo Geo in the 90's. But I get what you're saying though... We didn't know we were living through a golden age and that worse times were ahead. I mean, I guess if you had asked me as a kid in the 90's if I thought the game industry would keep up the way it was 10, 20, 30 years later, I would have guessed not, so maybe some would have predicted it by accident (due to the lack of perspective of youth). Just like 'everyone' in their younger years believes their music is the best and the best that will ever come, that's kind of how important I thought gaming was in the 90's too.

Last edited: