Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I am failing to earn a respectable score in Sky Shark for the SotM thread.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
19xx: The War Against Destiny

Somehow I missed this one over the years. There are so many of those Capcom 1940s shooters, that the XX one escaped me. But, man, this is right up there with their best of that era in my opinion. I got it as part of the Capcom Arcade Stadium collection for the switch, and was pleased to discover that it has a tate mode in the display options.

Very fun game, and while challenging, it doesn't really escalate to that impossible level of difficulty until the second to last level. That's when an inordinate amount of attacks begin coming from off screen in all directions, particularly from the bottom corners behind you. So no 1cc run for me as of yet, although at this point, I can make it to that level before I need additional credits.

The final boss is not particularly difficult, but it is tedious. One of those multiple forms bullet sponges, so it takes forever. And it doesn't have any particularly unique moves or shots, so the patterns are easy to pick up. The challenge is just staying disciplined with it because it takes so many shots. So, overall, the ending of the game is kind of a let down. I would've preferred a better final boss with some exotic moves that are different from those we see in the earlier level bosses. But the journey is what it's all about, and this is still a great one overall.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Since i managed to finally install GXGeo properly on my Wii, i'll be able to play Blazing Star and Twinkle Star Sprites, and other shooters on Neo Geo.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
SaiDaiOuJou is still kicking my ass I think the score I got for SotM might have been a fluke. :(

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Playing Twin Cobra 2 tonight on the Egret 2 Mini, fuuuuuck this game is tough. Glad it's not shooter of the month. Gun Frontier gave me more grey hair.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
:giggle:
images

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I really need to play the Duo version. I don't think I ever have. I've owned it on SCD for decades, and I love it, but dudes like Chad have been knocking it for as long as I can remember. Even on old sites like segaage and sega-16 back in the day, the consensus was that the Duo version was better. The SCD version isn't very difficult, you can max out your weapon relatively quickly, regardless of which element you use. So that's probably part of it.

One thing that guys often complain about with the SCD version is the sound mix. The SCD plays the redbook soundtrack while the Genesis handles the sound effects. You have to use a model 1 Genesis with a mixing cable into the SCD to be able to adjust the sfx with the audio slider. Other variations of the hardware don't give you that option, so the sfx are louder than the music, and it sounds bad.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Also, the color palette.
Duo gfx stomp the Sega version.

It’s worth a look for sure; same with Cobra, Dungeon Explorer, et al…if it came out for both, I’m playing the Duo version 11 times out of 10.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I really need to play the Duo version. I don't think I ever have. I've owned it on SCD for decades, and I love it, but dudes like Chad have been knocking it for as long as I can remember. Even on old sites like segaage and sega-16 back in the day, the consensus was that the Duo version was better. The SCD version isn't very difficult, you can max out your weapon relatively quickly, regardless of which element you use. So that's probably part of it.

One thing that guys often complain about with the SCD version is the sound mix. The SCD plays the redbook soundtrack while the Genesis handles the sound effects. You have to use a model 1 Genesis with a mixing cable into the SCD to be able to adjust the sfx with the audio slider. Other variations of the hardware don't give you that option, so the sfx are louder than the music, and it sounds bad.
I see it like this scd easy and tg16 lords of thunder more challenge to complete.When i bought a pce/duo again in the mid 2000's i went right after buying the duo version asap.

Last edited:

neo.kobe.city

NEST Puppet
Put a little time in Fire Shark MD this weekend. Stage 4 fucking me up. Fuck the green laser power ups, I want the flamethrower.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Harmful Park
a Cute 'Em Up clone of nice Parodius saga.

yes, so awesome. Working on 1cc'ing the hard level now. Sometimes I like to play very hard to see how long I can last. Game scales up nicely with the difficulty settings.

games_sk

Mr. Big's Thug
Winds of Thunder PCE
DonPachi SS

Both great games. Amazing soundtrack on Winds of Thunder...

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Andro Dunos II- I have a tendency to ignore a lot of these retro revival and sequels to 30 year old games that seemingly come out of nowhere as most of them are shit. I'm also not a big fan of the original so I completely missed this. It's pretty solid, really feels like a 16 bit era game. I'm actually kind of surprised just how authentic to the era it feels. My only real issue with it is the lack of options. Definitely worth the $3.59 it's going for on PSN.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Andro Dunos II- I have a tendency to ignore a lot of these retro revival and sequels to 30 year old games that seemingly come out of nowhere as most of them are shit. I'm also not a big fan of the original so I completely missed this. It's pretty solid, really feels like a 16 bit era game. I'm actually kind of surprised just how authentic to the era it feels. My only real issue with it is the lack of options. Definitely worth the $3.59 it's going for on PSN.
Glad you mentioned that! Being that cheap makes it compelling enough to grab