Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Sonic Wings 2&3 are just amazing. I agree that 3 is better... the super unique soundtrack is what pushes it over the edge to me. It just sounds so unlike any other NEO•GEO game. I cant even think of any other arcade game from that period with music in that style.

I love the graphical style in the sonic wings games. They arent the most stereotypically “advanced” NEO•GEO games, but they have this smooth and clean look to them that i really enjoy.

The soundtrack does it for me as well. You know it's a good OST when you can listen to it outside of the game.

Been playing some Pulstar recently, though. Made it to the fourth stage without dying, a new personal best.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
The soundtrack does it for me as well. You know it's a good OST when you can listen to it outside of the game.

Been playing some Pulstar recently, though. Made it to the fourth stage without dying, a new personal best.

Did you find that Pulstar AES cart??

Shmuppy

Banned
I'm playing Crimzon Clover World Ignition on PC right now like a maniac. If you didn't know it's a vertical Danmaku ("homebrew") from Japan with really decent graphics, an EXCELLENT OST and a very nice scoring/combo system and the usual Danmaku Cave wide shot/focus shot mechanics. Plus you have Normal Mode and Boost Mode (and two other modes) which changes the scoring/"berseking" quite a lot. The icing on the cake is the 2P co-op which is a real co-op. It means scoring and "comboing" is achieved together! How cool is that? Go check this out on Steam it's really good and plays like a Cave shmup, it's on par for me easily. Can't stress enough how good this shmup is:drool:

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I played Vimana for the first time and loved it. The simple but effective charge weapon is a strike of genius! You have to develop a certain rhythm to trigger it in the most effective way and that opens up clever tactical approaches. The Hindu references are hilarious but very atmospheric, like the Egypt references in Hellfire. Too bad there wasn't any port, except for the tate resolution, this game would've worked excellent as a 16-bit STG.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I knew it wouldnt take long for you to crawl back out of your shithole davey!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Thanks for the tips, it helped! That said, this game is too much for me and I'm gonna have to move on. :(

Taking a long break, I came back and got the 1CC in arcade Gradius after 2 nights of playing! This video helped me up my game:

I legit didn't know about the score trick with the volcano in stage 1. I basically would play fully powered up and might die on stage 3 and definitely would take multiple deaths on stage 4. The extra lives helped me get more runs into stage 5 and beyond. The video was also helpful for me on the last stage where I definitely wasn't using the options + laser correctly.

How difficult is the arcade version of 2? I've only done the Famicom version.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I’ll add to the thread again, as I’ve been playing some ESPGaluda lately. Like Sonic Wings 3, this is another one where I can listen to the music outside of the game. I’m not too experienced with danmaku shmups, so ESPGaluda has been a really enjoyable experience so far.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Played a lot of Crying for the Mega Drive, a one credit clear included with my favorite ship, Orestes. Like with Tarōmaru, it's only half the fun, if you play it with autofire. The bass heavy ost, the unusual graphics and that restrained color palette are really my cup of tea. Pretty European for a Japanese game, in my opinion.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Played a lot of Crying for the Mega Drive, a one credit clear included with my favorite ship, Orestes. Like with Tarōmaru, it's only half the fun, if you play it with autofire. The bass heavy ost, the unusual graphics and that restrained color palette are really my cup of tea. Pretty European for a Japanese game, in my opinion.

Crying/Bio Hazard Battle is such a cool fuckin' game, it's absolutely dripping with atmosphere. I picked it up blind at a retro game store years ago and was blown away with the music and setting. It's a dark game, very Taito-esque.

To keep the thread going, I haven't been playing too much besides Fixeight for the SOTM thread and some UN Squadron on the MisTer CPS1 core. Gonna enjoy some more Street Fighter and Final Fight in my candy cab for another week or two and then TATE the monitor to finally sink my teeth proper into the Strikers 1945 III board I got off marketplace (ty egg_sanwich)

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I've been playing both giga wing 1 and giga wing 2 for dreamcast like crazy lately. The second game is in my top 10 shooters of all time now, I like it so much except the story is a bit lack luster!

My AES and Genesis have been collecting dust due to my dreamcast obsession as of late..

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I've been playing both giga wing 1 and giga wing 2 for dreamcast like crazy lately. The second game is in my top 10 shooters of all time now, I like it so much except the story is a bit lack luster!

My AES and Genesis have been collecting dust due to my dreamcast obsession as of late..

That's cool. Dreamcast is about all I play now. Been playing a lot of Under Defeat an Ikaruga lately.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

Giga Wing 2 has that 4 player action going on. Had a hell of a time playing 3 players with my brothers when I had the game. Very hectic but so fun.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Metallic Uniform Super Hybrid Armor

I got to what I thought was the last stage, but it turned out to be the stage before the last stage.

Great game and I really enjoy it, but I'm not sure if (when?) I'll 1cc it.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Metallic Uniform Super Hybrid Armor

I got to what I thought was the last stage, but it turned out to be the stage before the last stage.

Great game and I really enjoy it, but I'm not sure if (when?) I'll 1cc it.
That airship isn't the last level, there is kindof a boss rush level after that which is very touchy. You can't really afford to get hit there and the rotating shield power up becomes essential due to there being alot of enemies firing those homing missiles at you that follow you until you destroy them.

While I think MUSHA is a fantastic game, I also believe its way way overrated. I can think of 10 other megadrive shooters I prefer over it. Its price/rarity status is what gives it its infamy in the gaming world morso than its gameplay and quality imo.

Its a rather easy game until the final 2 levels and the hitbox of your mech is huge. The options take some skill to fully utilize but once you do the game shines but also becomes piss easy.

Games I can name off the top of my head that are better, gaiares, eliminate down, thunderforce 3and 4, elemental master, slapfight, twinkle tale, battlemania 2, air buster, fireshark, hellfire, grindstormer, gleylancer, and truxton. But to each thier own. Im honestly concidering selling my cib copy due to it's vast fortune. I mean seriously how much is it going for $1000 now? I could trade that for a good neo geo game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Games I can name off the top of my head that are better, gaiares, eliminate down, thunderforce 3and 4, elemental master, slapfight, twinkle tale, battlemania 2, air buster, fireshark, hellfire, grindstormer, gleylancer, and truxton. But to each thier own. Im honestly concidering selling my cib copy due to it's vast fortune. I mean seriously how much is it going for $1000 now? I could trade that for a good neo geo game.

Battle mania 2 is my favorite shmup on the system, which is now going for prices nearly as much as musha.

But back to musha, I don't know if I agree with your sentiment about the game but you have to give the game points on presentation. It feels like a AAA title with the music and graphics. It's my favorite vert on the Genesis. I'd take it over truxton and the other toaplan shmups.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Kristoff (old forum member) and I have been playing through Strikers 1945 Plus over the last two weeks as we challenge each other to get a 1cc. I can currently clear the first loop in 8 credits, but I can get to stage 5 in my first credit. Stages 6-8 rip me apart - especially the stage 7 boss. I think I'll be good when I can beat it in four credits - which should be sometime this week.

I have the Aleste Collection on PS4 on the way from Japan, so I'm looking forward to jumping into GG Aleste 3. I also picked up a complete import copy of MUSHA (MUCH MUCH cheaper than a US release) direct from Japan for under $110, so looking forward to that too.

Been really getting into SHMUPS over the last couple years, but these last few months I've been addicted to them. Never played them much in the 90's for some reason.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Battle mania 2 is my favorite shmup on the system, which is now going for prices nearly as much as musha.

But back to musha, I don't know if I agree with your sentiment about the game but you have to give the game points on presentation. It feels like a AAA title with the music and graphics. It's my favorite vert on the Genesis. I'd take it over truxton and the other toaplan shmups.

Yeah it's a good game I played it a bit after this topic to recapture some old feelings. And I do think its good. Maybe slapfight for music and elemental master for story and gameplay beat it. Barely, I've honestly lost a bit of love for the game I'll admit.

Shooters im playing right now is psycho chaser on the pc engine. I have a thing for shooters that have on the ground mechanics. Ninja commando style.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
That's cool. Dreamcast is about all I play now. Been playing a lot of Under Defeat an Ikaruga lately.

Yes I know exactly what you mean its really been my favorite system for the last few years. I had one as a kid but since it had such a short life span, I didn't get to enjoy it to the fullest. I don't currently have any imports but I hope to add a few Japan exclusives shooters this year to my collection...

The Age tech arcade stick is by far the best controller ive ever used as well. I just cleaned mine the other day and added grease to the buttons and its smooth as silk now.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Man I haven't fired up border down in a long time. Maybe I'll bust out the Dreamcast and do that.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Played Gunbird 2 on D.C. this weekend. I've got to get me a stick for my Dreamcast.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I finally reconnected my japanese 360 after years of sitting in a closet. Literally the last time I had it set up was when SDOJ was released, so like 2012. Yeesh.

Played through all my old Cave ports and pretty much sucked at everything, I have no idea what I'm doing...though I probably didn't back the neither. I have to say though of all the games I tried out this weekend I really had a blast with Muchi Muchi Pork, specifically the arrange version. I dont know what I am doing but seeing all that gold makes me feel like such a champ.

Played some games with my kids as well, they really dug Deathsmiles - they are obsessed with Halloween.