Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Been playing quite a bit of DDP DOJ lately. Even though I'm a scrub to the danmaku genre, I've noticed little bits of improvement in pattern recognition and seeing what I can and can't get through. Like anything, it just takes practice.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
GG Aleste 3 in the Aleste Collection. Brilliant, brand new Aleste game. Currently can do a $2 run (8 credits) - working toward my personal goal of a $1 run with no hardware restrictions (removes slowdown and enables caravan mode). Even if you find a ROM to play on your favorite emulator, I do recommend playing on the collection or an emulator that removes hardware limitations so you can play at full speed. After playing this for hours, I think (despite being designed for GG hardware) it was meant to be played without those restrictions.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Spriggan pce cd.

I love compile. They made a lot of great games. Many under the radar. I don't know if they're my favorite shmup game developer but they're definitely up there.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Spriggan pce cd.

I love compile. They made a lot of great games. Many under the radar. I don't know if they're my favorite shmup game developer but they're definitely up there.

I share your love for COMPILE roker, and hope that you did play Zanac Neo on the PS1 already. For some old school feeling, though, I recommend both Power Strikes on the Master System. Start with the second game, then go on to the more difficult first part, which drove me nuts with its many sub-weapons and their crazy trajectories. A pure adrenaline rush!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I share your love for COMPILE roker, and hope that you did play Zanac Neo on the PS1 already. For some old school feeling, though, I recommend both Power Strikes on the Master System. Start with the second game, then go on to the more difficult first part, which drove me nuts with its many sub-weapons and their crazy trajectories. A pure adrenaline rush!

Although I played compile games in the past, it wasn't until zanac neo that I took a bigger interest in the developer. I think it was 2003/2004 when I played it for the first time and that prompted me to really dig into their library to see what I missed (or rediscover games I unwittingly played by them).

Check out Guardian Legend for the NES. Fantastic hybrid shmup game made by them.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Although I played compile games in the past, it wasn't until zanac neo that I took a bigger interest in the developer. I think it was 2003/2004 when I played it for the first time and that prompted me to really dig into their library to see what I missed (or rediscover games I unwittingly played by them).

Check out Guardian Legend for the NES. Fantastic hybrid shmup game made by them.

Great start there with Zanac Neo! I had a Mega drive from '89, hence my first touch was Musha Aleste.

Thanks for the the tip, Guardian Legend is definitely on my list. I already played Golvellius on the Master System, IIRC their first action-adventure. Keen to see if there are any similarities between both games, at least within the adventure parts.

BTW the only game I couldn't get to like so far was Spriggan Mark 2. I'm sure it's just me, so I'll keep trying, hehe.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I'd been on Tatsujin Oh for awhile, but now I'm on Ibara. It feels like weeb Garegga, but its got a great soundtrack and a massive challenge.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
so can we play gg aleste 3 on a real GG yet?

I've been having some fun with Power Strike II. Fantastic game. Same with the first and it's FM sound.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Kyuukyoku Tiger for the NES

I don't know why I fired this up when there two better ports by a longshot on the Genesis and PC Engine, but I will say, it's not bad for what it is. Pretty easy in the beginning then gets ridiculous after the 2nd stage.

Good for a curiosity, but if you have access to the other 2 ports, then stay away.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Border Down.

I feel I can beat this game starting on green, but sometimes struggling to re-learn it. Anyone know the difference between remix and arcade?

I'm totally indifferent about the music. I feel it's one of the weaker points. Not all the tracks are bad, but that harmonica sounding synth sorta bothers me.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I suppose I will be playing some Einhander and Raiden Project on the PSX

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Final Soldier

Holy shit my skills are rusty on this one. I really need to get it together if I'm ever going to 1cc this. Oh well.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Final Soldier

Holy shit my skills are rusty on this one. I really need to get it together if I'm ever going to 1cc this. Oh well.
I'll say! That's the easiest of the bunch, get better roke. Speaking of getting rusty: I 1cc'd Truxton. Correct, the much easier Genesis version. On "easy". Hooray... I'll better look up that easiest shmups thread immediately.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'll say! That's the easiest of the bunch, get better roke. Speaking of getting rusty: I 1cc'd Truxton. Correct, the much easier Genesis version. On "easy". Hooray... I'll better look up that easiest shmups thread immediately.

I have a lot of disdain for the PC Engine version of Truxton. It's just so ridiculous with the enemy bullet speeds.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Some Battle Garegga recently. I’ve been trying to reliably get a double extend from the birds using Golden Bat.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Some Battle Garegga recently. I’ve been trying to reliably get a double extend from the birds using Golden Bat.

That's a fun trick to master. I don't think I'll ever be able to beat the default version of this game. I can however beat the new mode that M2 included in the re-release, but it's still an insanely difficult game.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have done 2 runs on Crimzon Clover World Ignition and playing the game hurts my hands.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I've been playing Aka & Blue for the past few days. I'm really enjoying it. Got DDP SDOJ showing up Monday.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
ASOII and it's as much fascinating, as it is frustrating; at least you get both sides in perfect proportions to keep your motivation high. The armor system, a quite deep one actually, is driving me crazy. The Spike Spiegel part of me wants to use those weapons in good fun, and blast those creeps into a Black Hole one after another... the Jet part, though, is constantly reminding me how much this fun costs. At the end, I'm always pushing for Gold in the last stage: a big fucking D'Oh! I did beat this game once, but it was on Easy. MVS is a heavy difference. Well, I guess it's scrimping time again this evening.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Batsugun Special - Sega Saturn

Holy shit is this game a lot of fun. I'm obsessed right now. I can make it to the 5th stage on the first loop then I'm done.

Muchi Muchi Pork - X360

I'm still learning how to use the Lard system. I prefer the arranged version (not the arranged soundtrack) over the original. I like bullet canceling.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Rtype final 2 on Switch. Guess what, IT SUCKS! Bland graphics, bad sound and a big rushjob.