Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Zak

WWJCVDD?,
Dogyuun! Love the soundtrack on this (and almost every other Toaplan shooter).

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Plays the game is the worst possible way lol.

Yeah, that's probably it.

I thought maybe he was claiming he's like the Dr. Dolittle of Twinkle Star Sprites.

Though for some reason I'm doubtful that he'll check back to set the record straight...

Slyelessar

n00b
Yeah, that's probably it.

I thought maybe he was claiming he's like the Dr. Dolittle of Twinkle Star Sprites.

Though for some reason I'm doubtful that he'll check back to set the record straight...

Thanks for your responses. I just meant that I was enjoying the game :)

I am still giving Pulstar the time and respect it deserves.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Bought a Metal Black PCB in a bundle sold as non-working - but seems to work fine for me so I got a steal. Waiting for a negatron to come in to get audio out of my MVS cab, so I've been stuck playing it on an Aliexpress supergun in the meantime. It's not the greatest hori shmup ever but I really, really like the atmosphere and music so I'm determined to nab the 1CC

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's not the greatest hori shmup ever but I really, really like the atmosphere and music so I'm determined to nab the 1CC

I mean, is there even "a greatest"?

Anyway, it's a relatively manageable clear. Playing with auto-fire will definitely help expedite the process though.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I mean, is there even "a greatest"?

Xexex

Not actually, but I do think it'd be near the top of greatest lol
Metal Black is pretty light on mechanics is all. It's still probably my favorite from an aesthetics standpoint though

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Metal Black is pretty light on mechanics is all. It's still probably my favorite from an aesthetics standpoint though

For aesthetics..same. It's at least close to my favorite.

As far the game being being light on mechanics..sure.

Not taking into account the unpredictable bonus rounds, it's not the absolute worst game to play for score if you don't mind boss milking (n Metal Black's case, it never really feels that tedious).

Bardoly

n00b
I've been playing some 2-player Firepower 2000 on the SNES with my boys. I beat the game like 16 years ago with a friend, and my boys and I are having fun with it, although we haven't been able to beat level 4 yet. We're getting there slowly, though. It's a fun game.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I just bought raptor call of the shadows on steam. I haven't played it in like 20 years and sadly it's not as good as i remember. Although the music is still pretty bad ass. Still it takes me back to the 90's and that was worth 5 bucks.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Cotton boomerang, download on pc engine and trying to get good at last resort for the millionth day it feels like.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
download on pc engine

I've also been playing this one on my Turbo Everdrive lately. all i have to say is WOW. this has gotta be my favourite PC Engine game so far. I think i like it better than a lot of the famous CD games like Gate of thunder or Spriggan. And it's certainly better than that Sapphire garbage. Top notch game, with perfectly balanced difficulty. I hope one day it gets a fan translation for the cutscenes....

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
For aesthetics..same. It's at least close to my favorite.

As far the game being being light on mechanics..sure.

Not taking into account the unpredictable bonus rounds, it's not the absolute worst game to play for score if you don't mind boss milking (n Metal Black's case, it never really feels that tedious).
I never understood how Metal Black looks good, it’s always looked rather ugly to me, plays ok. R-Shark and Gunnail 2 games on the same level of aesthetics. I may be wrong of course but still doesn’t change how I view it, if lazy somewhat half baked pre-rendered is your thing, RnR man.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Metal Black plays... somewhat badly. Definitely a second rate shooter in my book. The opening stage music is friggin strange and out of place.

Enjoyed a bit of Darius Plus on PC Engine tonight. An excellent taito game.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I won't say yall are wrong, but Metal Black must not be for you then. It has my favorite Zuntata soundtrack and I personally think the visuals are great: everything has this noisy, dirty and detailed textured look to it that I like. I'm thinking it might actually be my favorite shmup: I've been enjoying it a lot, I appreciate the "simplicity" more than I used to and I love the entire melancholy vibe the game gives off

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I won't say yall are wrong, but Metal Black must not be for you then. It has my favorite Zuntata soundtrack and I personally think the visuals are great: everything has this noisy, dirty and detailed textured look to it that I like. I'm thinking it might actually be my favorite shmup: I've been enjoying it a lot, I appreciate the "simplicity" more than I used to and I love the entire melancholy vibe the game gives off

Pre-rendered graphics? Lazy?

He's comparing Metal Black (1991) to Gunnail (1993, well..technically 1992)..do you think NMK had the same budget as Taito? The games have very little in common graphically.

He isn't making any sense.

EDIT: just saw Massive Urethra's post.

He's just arbitrarily saying it "plays badly". He doesn't know how to play shooting games, let alone objectively identify their faults.

Last edited:

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Pre-rendered graphics? Lazy?

Must have loaded it up on their Pandora's Box, saw the wireframe Black Fly in the first 10 seconds and closed the game.

I don't get the comparison either, I was mostly being nice lol. I won't hold up Metal Black as a visual masterpiece or anything, so if they don't like the way it looks then whatever. Also disagree with "plays badly" obviously

What are YOU playin' andsuchisdeath?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Must have loaded it up on their Pandora's Box, saw the wireframe Black Fly in the first 10 seconds and closed the game.

I don't get the comparison either, I was mostly being nice lol. I won't hold up Metal Black as a visual masterpiece or anything, so if they don't like the way it looks then whatever. Also disagree with "plays badly" obviously

What are YOU playin' andsuchisdeath?

Right. saying you don't like something? Sure. People can love "terrible" stuff and hate "great" stuff. No problem!

That's not exactly what those dudes were doing.

Uh, well I haven't been able to play shooters (stick problems).

How about you?