Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Uh, well I haven't been able to play shooters (stick problems).

Something something blue pill

Also haven't been playing much tbh, just a couple runs of Metal Black mostly. Been getting to Round 4 on one credit. It's definitely manageable but I just haven't been putting in the work. Annoyingly, either my Negatron came defective or my JNX BigRed adapter killed it somehow but I had to send it back for repair to get sound out on my cab, so I've just been running it on MAME.

Also repaired a Capcom Speed Rumbler PCB I got for peanuts and have been playing that occasionally, I like it a lot actually. If it came out on NES and you could steal enemy vehicles I'm convinced it'd have been a classic. Does that count as a shmup?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Something something blue pill

Also haven't been playing much tbh, just a couple runs of Metal Black mostly. Been getting to Round 4 on one credit. It's definitely manageable but I just haven't been putting in the work. Annoyingly, either my Negatron came defective or my JNX BigRed adapter killed it somehow but I had to send it back for repair to get sound out on my cab, so I've just been running it on MAME.

Also repaired a Capcom Speed Rumbler PCB I got for peanuts and have been playing that occasionally, I like it a lot actually. If it came out on NES and you could steal enemy vehicles I'm convinced it'd have been a classic. Does that count as a shmup?

Weak

I've never played Speed Rumbler, but the NES comment is funny.

Obviously a lot of ports of arcade games to the NES were more of a developers interpretation than actual ports, and I often ponder about which so-so 80's arcade games could have ended up being way cooler on the NES.

Also, I think what helped me a lot on stage 4 in Metal Black was positioning myself high up on the screen as much as possible. I'd find myself popping the bubbles and killing off those things that make a 'V" with lasers super fast. That might not be your trouble area though *shrugs*

Last edited:

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
I said I may be wrong of course and you still managed to get some discern out of your system about it.

Pandora, lol. Wtf guys, the games I listed are rather ugly games that play decent, that’s what I was referring too, nothing more. Why get all shell fire defense? Bombenagel?!

OT, DDP DFK

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I'm currently chipping away at Gaiares on the Mega Drive. I missed this back in the day, and just snagged a copy from Yahoo Japan. I'm loving the Mega Man-esq weapon copy ability and how you can stack power levels from leaching off of the same enemy types. Such a neat feature. Beautiful game and great music to boot!

I think my only gripe is some bullet types are a similar color to the background layers making some things hard to see - like the stage one boss. His triple shot burst is a different shade of red that gets lost in the red background a bit.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I'm currently chipping away at Gaiares on the Mega Drive. I missed this back in the day, and just snagged a copy from Yahoo Japan. I'm loving the Mega Man-esq weapon copy ability and how you can stack power levels from leaching off of the same enemy types. Such a neat feature. Beautiful game and great music to boot!

I think my only gripe is some bullet types are a similar color to the background layers making some things hard to see - like the stage one boss. His triple shot burst is a different shade of red that gets lost in the red background a bit.

Gaiares is very good looking for a genesis game. I think the game is a bit too hard but I did manage to beat it after a month or so of practice.

I’ve been playing cybercore on Turbografx. I’ve never been a big fan of this game but it’s kinda growing on me. I hope I can beat it this weekend.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

The screen-filling bosses were a big deal back in the day.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Recently came back to the story mode of Sine Mora EX. Beautiful graphics, innovative ideas, huge bosses. Most of the time I'm trying to 1CC the normal mode, which works well until Chapter II. Hiding in the debris gives me a bit of a hard time sometimes, as does the stage with the wrecking ball boss.
I still haven't figured out how ppl (e.g. in the shmup of the month) are so good with the hitboxes. This is one of my main issues in staying alive - much easier in Deathsmiles (which I sometimes play for a change) where it is clearly visible. Especially the fact that the planes in Sine Moras Story mode change regularely makes it harder to adapt.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The screen-filling bosses were a big deal back in the day.

...and those plasma globes! Also worth mentioning are the guillotines, the extra long anime intro, branching paths and a ride through an O'Neill cylinder. Too bad gameplay was just good, but not great.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
So I did some pandemic purchases, but got me a Japan Sega Saturn for the first time, and I love it. Only have one traditional shooter however, and it's Strikers 1945 for a good price. Nice game but it's hella hard towards the end.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Playing quite a bit of strikers 1945 III on pc, there's only 4 difficulty setting and i'll hold my hand up.....i'm really struggling even on the easy setting.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Doing a Dreamcast tate round this weekend - Under Defeat, Gunbird 2, Triggerheart.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Playing super raiden tonight on pcengine cd.. it’s nice to have added new levels and the cd quality audio is nice too.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Doing a Dreamcast tate round this weekend - Under Defeat, Gunbird 2, Triggerheart.

I had a Dreamcast as a kid but I’ve never played any shoot em ups on the console. Do you think games like gunbird 2 and mars matrix are worth the 100-200 bucks they go for or are they overpriced at this point.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I had a Dreamcast as a kid but I’ve never played any shoot em ups on the console. Do you think games like gunbird 2 and mars matrix are worth the 100-200 bucks they go for or are they overpriced at this point.

There is no question, they are overpriced for sure. Dreamcast had a sudden rise in popularity a couple years back in addition to the shmup tax that every shooter seems to accumulate means there is gouging going on everywhere. I notice Ikaruga has remained fairly constant in price - good title too.

The alternative is to hunt down the PCBs of these DC titles and in light of that, the DC ports are still a good option IMO. There is always the flash cart option now also for DC. Hope that helps :)

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
Recently came back to the story mode of Sine Mora EX. Beautiful graphics, innovative ideas, huge bosses. Most of the time I'm trying to 1CC the normal mode, which works well until Chapter II. Hiding in the debris gives me a bit of a hard time sometimes, as does the stage with the wrecking ball boss.
I still haven't figured out how ppl (e.g. in the shmup of the month) are so good with the hitboxes. This is one of my main issues in staying alive - much easier in Deathsmiles (which I sometimes play for a change) where it is clearly visible. Especially the fact that the planes in Sine Moras Story mode change regularely makes it harder to adapt.

Part of me wants to give Sine Mora Ex a try but I played the vanilla version and didn’t find it that appealing. It looks pretty but that’s it, typical euro shooter patterns. Does the EX change things up enough to make it worth a while? I may grab it when it’s cheap if it’s worth looking into.

Wasn’t a fan of SoldnerX/2. I did like Omega V, Gradius V and the R-Type and Darius 3D games that came out this gen.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Reflex
Graze Counter
Caladrius Blaze
Viper Phase 1
Shmup skills test
DeltaZeal
Judgement Silversword Resurrection

I have a bunch from the steam sale I have yet to start, too.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
There is no question, they are overpriced for sure. Dreamcast had a sudden rise in popularity a couple years back in addition to the shmup tax that every shooter seems to accumulate means there is gouging going on everywhere.

Thank you it really did help , you saved me like 600 bucks for the 4 shooters I was thinking about getting.. I’ll just keep a look out locally for Dreamcast shooters. If I can find them on Craigslist Or offerup for a fraction of the value I’ll grab them then.

Now I’m playing Rayxamber 3, I really like this game a lot. It’s much easier then the second game and I think the music is great, it’s very good looking for a pc engine game. (Some sound effects are annoying though)

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Thank you it really did help , you saved me like 600 bucks for the 4 shooters I was thinking about getting.. I’ll just keep a look out locally for Dreamcast shooters. If I can find them on Craigslist Or offerup for a fraction of the value I’ll grab them then.

Now I’m playing Rayxamber 3, I really like this game a lot. It’s much easier then the second game and I think the music is great, it’s very good looking for a pc engine game. (Some sound effects are annoying though)

Have you played Rayxanber ii?

I think the most memorable part of the game is the hilarious voice sample on the title screen

Just listen to that awesomeness

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I played Battlemania Daiginjou a lot lately, it's very good, close to a classic. How it looks and sounds is Mega Drive at its best. The 5th stage in particular gets to the heart of what I love about Sega's console: the (cleverly) reduced color palette, parallax scrolling, motifs from Japanese mythology and a great Yamaha YM2612 chip-tune. The first Bettlemania was good, but the second is great.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
OMG - there’s a Data West??? I knew there was a Data East, but I never knew of Data West!!! Mind blown!!!

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
OMG - there’s a Data West??? I knew there was a Data East, but I never knew of Data West!!! Mind blown!!!

I know they have a pretty prolific series about something ELSE but I can never remember what it is, I just remember them as the Rayxanber guys.

Love the sample in Ray II title screen which sounds like mental hospital escapees. RAYZANBAAAA WOOOO! It's actually a pretty neat shooter, don't listen to the haterzzz. Ray III is a bit meh but I love the CD soundtrack (which gets drowned out by the godawful in-game sfx).

so good.