Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I've been on a major Game Boy kick this year, and so, I've been trying to get a hold of all the shoot 'em ups...it's taking some time. This week, I've been playing Aerostar. It's got an interesting mechanic whereby, your ship is ground based and has a 'jump' meter which you have to use to jump to different ground based routes. In addition to ground based shots to dodge, you have to worry about aerial shots when you jump. It all makes for some interesting game play.

Attachments

• j1xG7qdvQimOk9EZKRfGlQ.jpg
    j1xG7qdvQimOk9EZKRfGlQ.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 2

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've been on a major Game Boy kick this year, and so, I've been trying to get a hold of all the shoot 'em ups...it's taking some time. This week, I've been playing Aerostar. It's got an interesting mechanic whereby, your ship is ground based and has a 'jump' meter which you have to use to jump to different ground based routes. In addition to ground based shots to dodge, you have to worry about aerial shots when you jump. It all makes for some interesting game play.

Yes dude, I've been digging into the GB shmup lineup hard this year as well. Just cleared Pop'n Twinbee on my Konami GB Collection, trying to figure out what to play next.

Haven't seen Aerostar before, thanks for the tip.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Batrider which I can barely pass the 1st stage on and Ketsui.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Deathsmiles on my PS5 with the recent release for PS4. It seems like they did an accurate job on this release.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Played through the new Gley Lancer port w/ modern settings and abused the rewind feature/cheat.

Then spent longer than I care to admit trying to setup the vintage mode. Hint: the button to cycle speed is not mapped by default and you can't change speed in vintage mode until you do that in the launcher's options menu. Hopefully I'll have time to actually play vintage mode this weekend.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Got home early enough from xmas eve dinner w/ the family. 1CC on my 2nd vintage mode run. Died a number of times, but the game throws a fairly large number of extras your way.

Cool game. Not gonna spend $200+ for a real cart. Absolutely worth the $7 for the digital copy.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Fired up Keio Flying Squadron. Not bad.

I wouldn't pay $1000s for it or anything, but I'm using a mega everdrive pro, so who cares?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Fired up Keio Flying Squadron. Not bad.

I wouldn't pay $1000s for it or anything, but I'm using a mega everdrive pro, so who cares?
I was lucky enough to buy it at a game store I worked at in the late 90s for a regular price. Still have the price sticker on it.

The Saturn sequel is fun too and more fleshed out. It’s more of a platform game but there are shooting stages.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
KFS gets pretty intense in later stages, especially if one's playing the jpn. version, where touching the environment kills you. Excellent STG and next to Harmful Park another strong Parodius contender. The Yankee jokes are cool, too.

I also played the Saturn sequel, but it turned out it's not a pick-up-and-play game for me and it didn't immediately blow me away like the first part did. It's a game that needs to be seen as something different than the predecessor, so I'm waiting for the right time to fire it up again. I'm sure it's good, though.

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius ~forever with me~
Time Bokan Series: Bokandesuyo

Two nice and colorful shmups on PSX.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Xbox live versions of Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.
Co-op with friends via 1100 miles.
These games are still fun (are difficult) regardless of no CRT and no couch co-op.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
How difficult is the arcade version of 2? I've only done the Famicom version.

Gradius 2 (PC Engine) 1CC done. Used the 4th loadout (ripple + 2-way missiles). I discovered when playing around with my various controller options that the turbo on the Avenue 6 is actually faster than the base controller. That made ripple viable.

Tried the arcade version and it didn't take long before I had a run that made it to the last level without dying. The game is very similar to the PC Engine, although the subtle differences occasionally punished my muscle memory (e.g. crab's pattern). So 1CC is totally possible, but the last level is pretty brutal and kinda feels like I have to get lucky and not get shot up too many times. Not sure I'm going to go after that just now.

EDIT: Gave it a few more tries and an hour later the arcade 1CC (no miss) is done!!

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
DP > DDP. Come at me.

Waiting for my x360 to show up in the mail to put some time into its Radiant Silvergun version.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Radiant Silvergun was one of the free downloadable games on microsoft gold recently. Not sure if it's still up at the moment though.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Gradius 3 (SNES) for a quick 1LC!
  • 2-Way Back Missile
  • Double (not used)
  • Twin Laser
  • Rotating Options
  • Reduce
  • Full Barrier

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Trying to find a download for the Dolphin Blue .cdi file so I can play it on Dreamcast.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Gradius: Interstellar Assault on GB. Said newer sequel is more polished, but, I still prefer the first one, Nemesis, out of the two. Always ticks me off when IA steals all your power ups after the first boss too.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Switch
Mushihimesama,got the physical copy for it recently from lrg so now i'm playing this port.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Obsessed with RayForce on the F3. I've had the Saturn port around for ages, but still slept on it for some reason. Got my F3 a few weeks ago, though, and something about the game finally clicked with me. It's a mesmerizing work of art.