Darksoft's Next Project

Which Multi kit would you like to see next?

• Taito F3 Multi

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Neo Geo Multi

Votes: 79 73.8%
  • System 246 Multi

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Who would want to pay $300 on a multi-cart that can't play every game?

Also, there are some useful hacked versions of games out there... For example, SVC Chaos Plus allows you to use a number of missing characters like Athena.

Let me know how great the quiz and mahjong games are when you play them. Also print carts, etc.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I think what most people (myself included) want, is a way to play good roms of all available (original) SNK(P) games on original hardware (plus possibly the SSIII hitbox fix, Ghostlop, Ironclad etc) and without having to sift through hacks.

A good multicart would be awesome and fill all of those needs... the features ReplicaX mentioned would be sweet, but are not really needed to make this very desirable. The stuff NTM did with the 120in1 (hiding games/hacks, multislot kinda setup etc) is a great starting point tho.

I agree. Adding hacks to multicarts is also a very simple matter given its related to simple patching. There is no reason why a multicart cannot have all the original games on plus and the ability to upgrade its firmware to support an unlimited ammout of hacks as they become available without the need of getting yet another multicart.

Another failure in some flash devices in general is in relation to the game swapping area. I still don't quite understand this need for such devices wasting money and sacrificing user experience on using an extra LCD display when its all possible through the system itself to swap games without adding _any_ extra cpu cycles to the game loop or the need to power the system off and on. All this was possible with CPS2 and is certainly possible with NeoGeo without the need of any bios alteration at all.

Last edited:
Personally I would like to see the F3 next, followed closely by a Neo cart. I'm satisfied with a 161 in 1 plus original carts of things I want to play 100%. Around here I'm sure the neo would be the much more popular choice though, and I understand that.

After how great the ST-V cart is and I'm sure the CPS2 cart is, I'm excited about whatever you decide to do next. I know I really appreciate your hard work, and I'm sure there are tons of others who do too.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'll be the first to admit that there are far greater minds that my own in this thead. As far as inexperience goes though, at least I'm not suggesting that a multi-cart should be able to read/write savegame and hi-scores data through the cart slot. That is just fucking retarded.

It's funny that you say that is retarded when there are MVS Motherboards out there with no memory card ports.

Going by your opinion, then Turf's One Cart acting like a Multi-Slot would be retarded as well.

It's hilarious your one defense is something I used as an example. Yet your Flash cart opinion based on hardware designed to load and switch games on the fly is counter intuitive. Thinking it opens the door to amateur Devs.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Let me know how great the quiz and mahjong games are when you play them. Also print carts, etc.

You can opt to delete them from the ST-V multi-cart's SD card if you don't want them on there. (Same thing with a Piforce for the Naomi/Triforce/Chihiro... and I assume the same thing for the CPS2.) The idea is that it can play them if you want them on there.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Fair enough. Stiil more interested in legit games than hacks/boots/protos, though. I can see having the "fixed" versions on there as well, just so long as the originals are still accessible.

darksoft

DO NOT ASK ROT, FOR ACCOUNT DELETION, WHEN HE'S ON
Well the flash cart would still need the roms. As long as there are no roms of the games anywhere around then I dont think they can be played and thus there would be no threat to these indie devs that bothered to design proper pcbs that dont have easily rippable rom chips. :)

Are you worried about crossed swords 2 with this regard? I would hope people would have the common sense not to use it with a flashcart. In fact if there is a way to stop the flashcart from playing such a recent rom, I would encourage darksoft to implement such a lock.

I already contacted the NG DEV Team. Definitely they are the only ones releasing games for NEO GEO and I will protect their IP, they created the games.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I already contacted the NG DEV Team. Definitely they are the only ones releasing games for NEO GEO and I will protect their IP, they created the games.

Would it be practical to work with them to release purchasable versions of their games that would only work on your multi-cart?

I can't be the only person that wants to play Last Hope: Pink Bullets, RAZION, etc on the MVS in my cab for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. not $500+ for a limited run kit).

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Would it be practical to work with them to release purchasable versions of their games that would only work on your multi-cart?

I can't be the only person that wants to play Last Hope: Pink Bullets, RAZION, etc on the MVS in my cab for a reasonable amount of money (i.e. not $500+ for a limited run kit).

Yeah, I'd totes buy the ROM off'f them for thirty-ish (per game) if you end up making a flash cart instead of a multi-cart.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
honestly, I'd love a PGM multi

that said, I'd be down for F3 or MVS given the options :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member

Its not a new idea and it has been discussed in some circles years ago. I'm talking about a flash cart used as a way to purchase 3rd party games. Its a good one in my view but you have to understand the protections that would need to be built in. Each flash cart would need a unique hardcoded ID number and a strong encryption system so a sold game can only be loaded onto a single flash cart. That encryption would need to be altered and programmable by included data with the distributed game. What you have to understand is you can't expect devs to trust a flash cart maker which sole purpose and reason built in the first place is to allow people to play games they did not pay for. Dev makers would want the protection in their hands if your talking about dedicated NeoGeo releases in this format only. I am actually quite surprised to be honest that NGD had not already taken their PCB design one step further to allow this given they already support the updating of program ROM data. I am open to private discussion with anyone who wold like to talk about this concept further.

If your talking about a way to allow people to purchase a homebrew game that was already released years before in cart format then or course its a little different but you would be naïve to believe that everyone in the NG community would purchase say a unprotected pink bullets like you suggest and then not share it. You just have to take what happened with the neo geo x system as proof of that, the way some topics on this forum are now allowed that would have got you instantly banned in years gone by is another one. Of course there are many that would honor such releases also esp if say that data was released on a nicely packaged CD ROM with art etc.

Raz

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
^this is why I said to not expect cs2 to work with a multicart, or for it to work past unibios 3.2. No Rom encryption hw would be included, therefore no way to individually serialize each rom sold to only work with one cart.

The fact that you didn't think that someone outside of your circles would think about this is insulting.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Lemony, you still have the wrong idea.

You are making assumptions on ideals you are creating in your mind rather than what I have said of have been saying. Tell me how in your mind are you connecting Crossed swords 2 to a multicart, possible flash cart or universe bios? Why in your mind do you have this idea about protection being added into crossed swords 2? There is not going to be any period... I hope you now have that clear.

I am sure other people have discussed the same before but I don't quite see from my post above you get this idea that I think others have not though about it? Its very standard stuff isn't it.

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Just saw this thread... did some people really vote for F3 (or 246) instead of NG multicart? :tickled:
I want all the 3 multicarts... but MVS multi first, please :buttrock:

unkle

n00b
Just saw this thread... did some people really vote for F3 (or 246) instead of NG multicart? :tickled:
I want all the 3 multicarts... but MVS multi first, please :buttrock:

yup, NG for win ^^; CPS1 too (with resale versions of Strider and Daimakaiura, among others) would be very nice

Lemony Vengeance

Lemony, you still have the wrong idea.

You are making assumptions on ideals you are creating in your mind rather than what I have said of have been saying. Tell me how in your mind are you connecting Crossed swords 2 to a multicart, possible flash cart or universe bios? Why in your mind do you have this idea about protection being added into crossed swords 2? There is not going to be any period... I hope you now have that clear.

I am sure other people have discussed the same before but I don't quite see from my post above you get this idea that I think others have not though about it? Its very standard stuff isn't it.

Of course there's no protection on CS2, there's no HW on the carts to prevent the roms from being dumped. now I don't have CS2 (preordered or otherwise) so I don't know this but I can imagine the roms being serialized (Paid Unibios leverages this to avoid dumps/piracy, Right?). There has been no solid confirmation that the roms will be officially provided (I've, in addition to Others, have asked this with no solid confirmation other than 'Don't worry about it') so Until this has been confirmed by you that yes, they will, I can only assume that CS2 usage either in a conversion not purchased from you/neobitz or in a multicart like you would not only be unauthorized, but publicly discouraged by you (justifiedly so).

This would also be the same with NG:DevTeam's games.. Really expensive, limited runs of ORIGINAL games and no rom release. This is where no one should argue that unauthorized use of their games, or dumping them for repros/conversion is ok. It's NOT ok. The second hand market is nearly as bad. When the games go out of print, they're sold for ridiculous amounts of money, none of which ever gets back to the people that worked on it.

People work hard on original IPs and should be paid for their work. Directly

Things like these is what leads me to believe that due to the 'piracy' concerns you would prevent this cart from being used with your Unibios. The way around this, creating a sort of Neo-Geo homebrew marketplace with individualized serials only installable on a specific cart (with a sort of public/private key encryption/decryption on the cart) would be great, but it would be expensive, convoluted and impractical (for both HW and SW) for such a niche product.

It is standard stuff, and it needs to be openly discussed. I'm glad we're talking about it, especially since the HW hasn't even been produced yet.

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Of course there's no protection on CS2, there's no HW on the carts to prevent the roms from being dumped. now I don't have CS2 (preordered or otherwise) so I don't know this but I can imagine the roms being serialized (Paid Unibios leverages this to avoid dumps/piracy, Right?). There has been no solid confirmation that the roms will be officially provided (I've, in addition to Others, have asked this with no solid confirmation other than 'Don't worry about it') so Until this has been confirmed by you that yes, they will, I can only assume that CS2 usage either in a conversion not purchased from you/neobitz or in a multicart like you would not only be unauthorized, but publicly discouraged by you (justifiedly so).

This would also be the same with NG:DevTeam's games.. Really expensive, limited runs of ORIGINAL games and no rom release. This is where no one should argue that unauthorized use of their games, or dumping them for repros/conversion is ok. It's NOT ok. The second hand market is nearly as bad. When the games go out of print, they're sold for ridiculous amounts of money, none of which ever gets back to the people that worked on it.

People work hard on original IPs and should be paid for their work. Directly

Things like these is what leads me to believe that due to the 'piracy' concerns you would prevent this cart from being used with your Unibios. The way around this, creating a sort of Neo-Geo homebrew marketplace with individualized serials only installable on a specific cart (with a sort of public/private key encryption/decryption on the cart) would be great, but it would be expensive, convoluted and impractical (for both HW and SW) for such a niche product.

It is standard stuff, and it needs to be openly discussed. I'm glad we're talking about it, especially since the HW hasn't even been produced yet.

CS2 is not going to be serialised, I can understand why you think that just because others do, but its not something I have even considered doing. The ROM will be available at some point after the release, I have always planned this and have never said other wise so I guess people just lean towards the worst. It's just a case of weather someone else dumps it before I do that, so it will happen. I do not consider CS2 the same as NGD work so its best not to assume that I do, at the same time you must realise that its taken me a lot of time to do it and I would like compensation for that. All my comments in this thread do not relate to any CS2 / flash cart worry, its all in relation to NGD type releases and not any conversion I do now or in the future.

I will say that I do have planned a Neo Geo game in the future so on that standpoint I do have a concern about possible protections that can be added to the flash cart. My post a few up is it would be great for a flash cart to allow a homebrew dev to sell a work at a cheaper price (because of no cart production costs) that can be used only on one targeted flash cart and not any others. Of course if they want to give homebrew work free they can still do that. Chances are though any game I do would go a PCB route that has its own hardware on (to increase the Neo Geo horsepower) that would not be on any flash cart thus making it impossible for the flash cart to run the game even if a dump was obtained and any protections stripped out.

Raz

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

CS2 is not going to be serialised, I can understand why you think that just because others do, but its not something I have even considered doing. The ROM will be available at some point after the release, I have always planned this and have never said other wise so I guess people just lean towards the worst. It's just a case of weather someone else dumps it before I do that, so it will happen. I do not consider CS2 the same as NGD work so its best not to assume that I do, at the same time you must realise that its taken me a lot of time to do it and I would like compensation for that. All my comments in this thread do not relate to any CS2 / flash cart worry, its all in relation to NGD type releases and not any conversion I do now or in the future.

I will say that I do have planned a Neo Geo game in the future so on that standpoint I do have a concern about possible protections that can be added to the flash cart. My post a few up is it would be great for a flash cart to allow a homebrew dev to sell a work at a cheaper price (because of no cart production costs) that can be used only on one targeted flash cart and not any others. Of course if they want to give homebrew work free they can still do that. Chances are though any game I do would go a PCB route that has its own hardware on (to increase the Neo Geo horsepower) that would not be on any flash cart thus making it impossible for the flash cart to run the game even if a dump was obtained and any protections stripped out.

Raz

I know you've spent a Ton of time on CS2.. it's a lot of work, and I said that you are justified to not want your hard work dumped. I even agree with the work you've put into decrypting CPS2 and creating the phoenix roms, although that is a slightly different story in that a large amount of time has passed since release.

You have worked hard and your work should be protected. NG Dev has worked hard, their work (as a new IP) should be protected. Why these and not all of NG games? Because they're still being (sporadically) made. When the only market for games is 2nd hand and the original dev doesn't get the money for it, I personally feel that playing a rom on the original HW is justified. That's just my opinion though.

SNKP has no desire to regulate anything MVS/AES related so regardless of our opinions, whatever will happen, will happen.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Good discussion, I feel the same way about author work that is still production being protected. The conversation of having option for protected files on the flash cart is really interesting. If devs could skip the hardware portion it opens up lots of possibilities for new development. If this took a lot of work, maybe darksoft could distribute the roms in a protected manor and take a small fee so that the dev and darksoft both have an incentive.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I will say that I do have planned a Neo Geo game in the future [...] I do would go a PCB route that has its own hardware on (to increase the Neo Geo horsepower)
:drool_2:

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Too bad I can't choose more than one option! Among those I'd love to see the NeoGeo flashcart, although I love the Taito F3 too... tough choice!

Now, what I'd really love is to have a CPS1 multicart :D Here I have my fingers crossed hoping someone finds out how to run CPS1 games on Darksoft's CPS2 multicart. Those CPS1 boards keep dying on me all the time :(

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Too bad I can't choose more than one option! Among those I'd love to see the NeoGeo flashcart, although I love the Taito F3 too... tough choice!

Now, what I'd really love is to have a CPS1 multicart :D Here I have my fingers crossed hoping someone finds out how to run CPS1 games on Darksoft's CPS2 multicart. Those CPS1 boards keep dying on me all the time :(

That is a very simple task for games that have Qsound.

Asure

Captain Dick,
Voted: Taito F3.
Also want: PGM (Just because i love Espgaluda..).. lots of games on this, also lots of KOV and clones.. ;0

Irem M92
This is not completely possible on all boards (yet), mostly because not all opcodes for all sound cpu types are known.
Also the list of games is relatively low, only 13 games, of which about 7 games are good (the rest being soccer, golf, bad side-scroller King-of-Dragons attempt etc.)

Darksoft: I need to get back to you on that conversion i did for UC Cops Alpha, been too busy with work/life right now :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Care to explain?

CPS1 and 2 hardware is almost identical. There are things CPS2 boards do that CPS1 boards do, things that CPS2 games never used.

When you understand the patches needed to allow CPS1 games to run again on CPS1 hardware once the battery is gone you then know most of the patches needed to make them run on CPS2 hardware also.

That is a simple task to anyone who has made decrypted CPS2 sets, it should be a breeze for the avalaunch guys. I personally don't have to time to do it presently or an order for the CPS2 flash device anyway.

Raz