Darksoft's Next Project

Which Multi kit would you like to see next?

• Taito F3 Multi

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Neo Geo Multi

Votes: 79 73.8%
  • System 246 Multi

Votes: 7 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Jeeeeezz... Makes me wish I knew my Brazilian in-laws better considering they visit once a year or so.

don't hold your hopes high because, unfortunately, amongst all of the south american countries, I believe that in Brazil is where you have the highest chances to get raped with prices , "$$$ retro gaming: only for connoisseurs $$$" it's already mainstream there.

And I thought I got Garous at a decent price...I got them at about $110 - $120 each. I have never seen a Pulstar or Andro Dunos around here either, I believe spaceship games were not that popular in the arcades here back in the day, only fighting games. You can get the whole KoF collection pretty easily, same for Samurai Shodown collection (sans V and VS), art of fighting, fatal furies, all are common around here. Funnily enough, Aero fighters is damn expensive here. You can buy one on Ebay, import it, flip it at around twice the price you paid for it (including import taxes) and that would be fair price. Go figure.

I think it's a matter of making the right contacts and as we say here "no avispar giles" , I know a colombian guy on an argentinian retro gaming forum that always get awesome deals on arcade stuff, including MVS carts.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Those Chinese multi-carts are the reason a lot of us voted Neo Geo.

I own the 161-in-1 and would ditch it in a heart beat for something that would let me load quality roms.

Your inexperience shows.

If a Neo multi cart is made, how many units will it be limited to? If it's a large run and too affordable it could ruin the market for the Neo especially if it's AES/MVS compatible. That's just me though.

This is my concern as well. We already had a huge increase in MVS demand and AES to MVS swappers. All I see now is motherboard demand skyrocketing even more on the MVS end.

I voted for F3 because it has some good titles and an overlooked system by many.

Quality aside, MVS has a long history and line of multis throughout the years. I feel its time other systems are given the opportunity.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Definitely voting for a Neo-Geo multi. I'd kill for a quality multi-cart that works for both MVS and AES, has all legit ROMs, and good build quality.

Concerns about the market, in my opinion, aren't valid as collectors are going to collect and pay what they pay no matter what. Their primary concern is owning and selling authentic product. This won't change that, especially in the Neo community where value and authenticity are put on a very high pedestal. As mentioned by others, prices for cartridges and games on other systems with Everdrives have gone up, not down for this very reason.

Sure, there might be some fluctuations of certain in-demand carts like Magician Lord or Nam-1975 going down, since their high demand is affected by them not being on the 161-1, but the overall health of the market won't change.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Voted Taito F3. Don't know of an existing multi for it, and to be fair, Neogeo has a ton of multicarts already, granted they dont have every game, but it covers most of them.

Now if the taito F3 does happen I will have to see if we can get a group buy going, because I dont have a Taito f3 :D

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
the NG multicarts are basically unplayable and glitchy. Every time I think I want one, it gets here and I end up selling it within a few weeks. A high quality multicart that loads games correctly is long overdue.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I was building an arduino controller for my multicart, and one of the things I was working on was making one cart act like a multislot MVS. I made 6 positions in the code and could assign a game to each position. When you hit the select button on the cab, it would cycle to the next game and reboot the neo to play.

It was a bit crude, but I thought it was a cool idea. Since these carts will be used in a lot of people's cabs, people may like to have the option of setting what games they play most, and have it somewhat mimic how a multislot works without having one.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I was building an arduino controller for my multicart, and one of the things I was working on was making one cart act like a multislot MVS. I made 6 positions in the code and could assign a game to each position. When you hit the select button on the cab, it would cycle to the next game and reboot the neo to play.

It was a bit crude, but I thought it was a cool idea. Since these carts will be used in a lot of people's cabs, people may like to have the option of setting what games they play most, and have it somewhat mimic how a multislot works without having one.

Just a thought.

This would be awesome.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I'm wrong about the 161-in-1 and other multi-carts having dodgy roms? How so? You're the first person I've ever heard defending their quality.

Your lack of experience was a fortelling, nothing more and now it is proven.

I have nothing against others wanting a better Neo multicart. As there are plenty here that have gone thru all things Neo-Geo wanting it.

You assuming and not reading my post is the lacking. Nowhere did I state or defend the Neo's current multicarts. MVS and AES have original hardware options with a multi already and beyond that, period. Other systems haven't even been afforded the opportunity.

While it would be nice to have a Neo multi that runs all legit titles 100%. I feel more has to be brought to the table, good examples are the proto AES/MVS board, what Turf mentioned with his Arduino controller, if possible its own memory to store settings, Hi-Score, and other features of the memory card, so folks with non-card boards have the option.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Your lack of experience was a fortelling, nothing more and now it is proven.

I have nothing against others wanting a better Neo multicart. As there are plenty here that have gone thru all things Neo-Geo wanting it.

You assuming and not reading my post is the lacking. Nowhere did I state or defend the Neo's current multicarts. MVS and AES have original hardware options with a multi already and beyond that, period. Other systems haven't even been afforded the opportunity.

While it would be nice to have a Neo multi that runs all legit titles 100%. I feel more has to be brought to the table, good examples are the proto AES/MVS board, what Turf mentioned with his Arduino controller, if possible its own memory to store settings, Hi-Score, and other features of the memory card, so folks with non-card boards have the option.
Half of the features in your perfect device are impossible. Nice try though.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Maybe someone can talk NGDev.Team into releasing a purchasable download of Last Hope: Pink Bullets that you can load onto Darksoft's MVS/AES multi-cart.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Saving hi-scores and settings through the cart slot exists?

Hence:
if possible its own memory to store settings, Hi-Score, and other features of the memory card, so folks with non-card boards have the option.

In bold for ya. You could contribute ideas. I was using examples, Dev boards do both systems, right above my post Turf talks about using an Arduino controller. I'm well aware what gets stored on the mobo and a memory card. This community can surprise you with what they can come up with, some good creative minds on here.

Simple search(memory card score saves):
Over Top (saves the fastest lap times and game completion times)
Zintrick (saves the top high score only)

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I think we're just splitting hairs now on this.

By the way, I did a Google image search to see if I could find a witty way to demonstrate that, but instead I mostly got pictures of women taking huge dicks up their ass. I opted to abstain.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thumbs up for NeoTurfMasta's idea. Would be awesome to have a virtual multislot on a regular jamma cab.

Can we close the poll now and get on the Neo multicart?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Just gonna say this.

Based on previous drama, don't count on the neo multi playing CS2, or working with any unibios above 3.2

/my2pennies.

I don't know where you got that from. I would not block any such device with a unibios. The same way I don't block multicarts.

The CPS2 situation is related to some thing entirely different which I'm surprised some of you can not grasp. The device did not need to use decrypted sets at all so why did it? It could have been made so much better with 100% compatibility with all known CPS2 dumps. Instead its been done in a ways that's limited to a minority of sets and requires others peoples work to allow it to run which he knew months in advance in the planning stage that I did not want phoenix sets used with it.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
and mame ragex killed neogeo also....NO didnt happen

no matter if there is a multicart there will always be those wanting originals. it wont kill the market.

flash carts didnt kill the nintendo hand helds, the cp2 multicart didnt kill cp2.

Its a double edged sword.

I agree such a device would not kill the community but it could certainly put a death nail in NGD and other professional homebrew titles if there is not a way to stop the device using those games. If the maker of such device cared about that they would build in a way to lock out games if the homebrew game makers so desire that.

Even MAME never supported the latest games in that respect.

Then in relation to official Neo Geo games you will probably be limited to garou / kof 99 etc protos like the multicarts use unless the maker spends the extra effort to do it right (something that did not happen with the cps2 device).

All in all it can be what kills the scene of new titles so you have to think carefully about what it would mean.

Personally like other people mention while there is NGD making games on the NeoGeo it could be better to do one of the other systems first.

Raz

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Its a double edged sword.

I agree such a device would not kill the community but it could certainly put a death nail in NGD and other professional homebrew titles if there is not a way to stop the device using those games. If the maker of such device cared about that they would build in a way to lock out games if the homebrew game makers so desire that.

Even MAME never supported the latest games in that respect.

Then in relation to official Neo Geo games you will probably be limited to garou / kof 99 etc protos like the multicarts use unless the maker spends the extra effort to do it right (something that did not happen with the cps2 device).

All in all it can be what kills the scene of new titles so you have to think carefully about what it would mean.

Personally like other people mention while there is NGD making games on the NeoGeo it could be better to do one of the other systems first.
On the other hand, Everdrives are powerful development tools that have brought loads of new developers to the homebrew scene. They eliminate the barrier of having to build custom test equipment and flashing devices for rom testing and development. Nearly everyone developing for Everdrive-supported consoles uses them for testing, and even normal users can easily patch a rom and flash it.

Perhaps the reason there has been little to no MVS independent development is due to the lack flash-carts. Even creating and distributing simple patches like the MS2 speed-hack is very difficult and out of the reach of almost everyone who owns an MVS.

Last edited: