DAYTONAAAA (psn/xboxlive)

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
dug my steering wheel out of storage to finally stop neglecting daytona on psn but alas it seems this absolutely timeless game is not quite so timeless to people on psn :( nobody is playing online at all.

I'd love to get some races in with people if anyone else also regrets not playing online when it was new and likely had some support.

I only have it on psn myself.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It was a fun game, but let's face it, it's pretty old, now. I remember having a hard time finding people to play the Dreamcast version when that came out... and it was improved and 12 years closer to the original's release date! I can only imagine how hard it will be to find someone into it, now.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I used to play the dreamcast version alot but it was new at the time so maybe it died off shortly after. I donno what it is, I think it was a little different engine wise and the over sensitive controls/ no awesome steering wheel made me care less for the dreamcast version even with it's nice graphics and extra content. It did have the most playable netcode of all the dreamcast games I played online with 56k though.

but for real, it's old and blocky and all.... but the bright colors and 60 fps keep it looking sexy even now! I bought sega rally 3 arcade edition or whatever it's called at the same time and it has current looking graphics, but because it runs at 30 fps it looks like crap compared to daytona IMO.

Beyond the graphics daytona is just that perfect arcade racer, awesome sensation of speed, fun drift mechanics, this game deserves some online play!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
i bought it day 1, and didnt have a problem finding races for the first two weeks, then it died off completely.

its one of my favorite games and i still play the hell out of it from time to time. i also thought that the saturn version was just fine, and i GLADLY played that religiously

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
as far as I knew daytona was godlike on the saturn, but newer versions have definitely made me more picky. I really really hope a similar port of sega rally or daytona 2 are planned! I never have had a chance to put some serious time into daytona2, It's always been uncommon to see in arcades and quite expensive. I would love get deep into it as I imagine it, like daytona, it's deceptively hardcore.

btw gilty, perhaps this might be slight motivation to play even more... but I got your time beat on advanced time trial :) same goes to you ancient flounder :) come at me bros!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll change gears (yuck yuck yuck) slightly, and say that out of all the Sega racers, Outrun 2 was always my favorite. That game impressed me when it came out, and still does. Love that drifting action in traffic!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I'll change gears (yuck yuck yuck) slightly, and say that out of all the Sega racers, Outrun 2 was always my favorite. That game impressed me when it came out, and still does. Love that drifting action in traffic!

well I do love that game also, I had a friend in the UK buy the psn version that was out for awhile there and share it with me, but alas eventually it stopped working :( I don't think it had wheel support (I didn't have a wheel back then so I'm not sure) but the netcode was nice and it looked great in HD. I guess you are on xbox360 so you had and probably still have that one in north america.

still have my original xbox version of the original outrun2 but now that I have a wheel it's hard to play with a pad :(

man sega has such a godlike backlog of unported goodness, I hope they milk the shit out of it because I would kill to play them at home.

EDIT: while on the subject of sega racing games in general.... I am down to play sega rally 3 arcade

Last edited:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
as far as I knew daytona was godlike on the saturn, but newer versions have definitely made me more picky. I really really hope a similar port of sega rally or daytona 2 are planned! I never have had a chance to put some serious time into daytona2, It's always been uncommon to see in arcades and quite expensive. I would love get deep into it as I imagine it, like daytona, it's deceptively hardcore.

btw gilty, perhaps this might be slight motivation to play even more... but I got your time beat on advanced time trial :) same goes to you ancient flounder :) come at me bros!

Haha, we'll definitely have to get a few races in. It's been a while since I've fired it up, so I'll have to get a few practice runs in. I'm not the best, but I definitely understand the drift mechanic a bit more now than I did long ago playing this on my Saturn.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I love Daytona USA. Loved it since the first moment I saw it in the arcades. I still have my Dreamcast game which I think is the best port, although I haven't tried the PSN one as you talked about. Reading this thread makes me wanna break it out now and spend some quality time. Such a timeless game and one of Sega's all-time best. BTW, have you seen this vid? It's some dude with the Daytona emulator running on his gaming rig complete with ridiculously expensive ECCI wheel and pedals and shifter. Must be nice to blow that kind of cash.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
looks pretty crazy, I imagine it can be changed with settings but it looks his sensitivity is way off! you can't be drifting if when you need to turn the wheel that much!

If you have a ps3 or 360 you definitely want to get this version. it's basically straight up arcade perfect daytona in HD resolution. I think what it actually is technically is a port of "sega racing classic" in the arcade. It's tuff to find races online unfortunately but it's still worth putting time into due to the online leaderboards and controller support (there are just better wheel options for the ps3 than there are for the dreamcast/saturn)

Haha, we'll definitely have to get a few races in. It's been a while since I've fired it up, so I'll have to get a few practice runs in. I'm not the best, but I definitely understand the drift mechanic a bit more now than I did long ago playing this on my Saturn.
yeah I am actually just getting used to the drifting mechanic myself, I'm getting good at the advanced course but I am still hopeless on expert. It's crazy how good some people are, I watched the replay of the best time on advanced and he has basically the same line as me, but hes so good at the drifting he doesn't touch the break or lose barely any speed on ANY corner! same damn racing line.... and his time is like 20 seconds above mine... wtf!

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This is the best damn racing game ever. I have the 360 version, but I don't have XBL Gold anymore and I've been waiting for a sale on the PSN version. It was super cheap a couple months ago but I forgot to buy it before the price went back up.

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
yeah I am actually just getting used to the drifting mechanic myself, I'm getting good at the advanced course but I am still hopeless on expert. It's crazy how good some people are, I watched the replay of the best time on advanced and he has basically the same line as me, but hes so good at the drifting he doesn't touch the break or lose barely any speed on ANY corner! same damn racing line.... and his time is like 20 seconds above mine... wtf!

Expert chews me up good. I haven't quite gotten that hairpin near the end of the course down and I either spin out or just slam in to the wall. I can race Advanced okay, though. That's a fun little track. I kind of wish Sega had released some more tracks for this, since seeing the new ones from the DC version or maybe some tracks from Scud Race/Sega Super GT would have been really cool.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
Expert chews me up good. I haven't quite gotten that hairpin near the end of the course down and I either spin out or just slam in to the wall. I can race Advanced okay, though. That's a fun little track. I kind of wish Sega had released some more tracks for this, since seeing the new ones from the DC version or maybe some tracks from Scud Race/Sega Super GT would have been really cool.
agreed on the more tracks! hopefully some of those games make it over to psn/live too.

about that last hairpin, I am still not good at it and I donno if you play MT, but if you do I found I can get through the hairpin clean if I slowdown a bit then gear drift in 2nd gear. I imagine a pro could get around it with no slowing down, but it's a consistent way I found to take that turn.

Ancient Flounder

15 Year Member
agreed on the more tracks! hopefully some of those games make it over to psn/live too.

about that last hairpin, I am still not good at it and I donno if you play MT, but if you do I found I can get through the hairpin clean if I slowdown a bit then gear drift in 2nd gear. I imagine a pro could get around it with no slowing down, but it's a consistent way I found to take that turn.

I'm an AT guy. The only game I've ever played consistently in manual transmission is OutRun 2, since drifting without losing much speed is a breeze when using MT in that.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I've got the 360 version, if anyone is up for some online races let me know. I got Sega Rally arcade and Outrun 2. I'm a sucker for any sega XBLA release.