DCHDMI mod - show of hands of who has done the mod?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm tempted to get one and try the mod myself, but it looks pretty goddamn hard. Anyone else done the mod? Horror stories? Success stories?

I put this in tech support preemptively FYI, assuming I will drunkenly order the kit tonight and need a place to post Q's

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
No but it looks somewhat nasty, especially all those relatively fine pitched IC pins, ouchy. I'd get myself a little magnifying glass or even a digital one just to make it easier. If I had a DC still I'd def give it a go, doable if you have some soldering experience, just gotta take your time.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Shit how long has this been a thing? Looks like a neat solution, but at the high price for the parts plus very high chance of me melting my boards as that looks very tricky to install, I’ll have to pass.

There’s someone on ebay UK selling DCs premodded with pico psu, dchdmi and gdemu for £399. Doesn’t sound too bad since the dchdmi board is £225 on its own.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I wanna get one of these but they are never available. My DC is all tricked out with a Noctua fan, BlueRetro for wireless controllers (internal, natch), DreamPSU, GDEmu and a 500gb microSD. But it looks like shit because of the crappy DC to HDMI adapter I got off amazon.

dkarDaGobert

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i made the mod last year including all the fancy stuff like modbios, noctua fan, dreampsu, gdemu clone.
wasnt that hard but as an electrician engineer i have all the tools at work to solder this fine pitch
might be tricky with a standard soldering iron

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I wouldn't recommend any kind of digital video mod like this (or PS1 Digital, UltraHDMI, etc) to people without moderate experience soldering. I don't mean to dissuade everyone, as you can never get better without practice. However, if you really doubt your abilities, I recommend you pay someone to do the mod.

The way the soldering can play out is, the more time you spend fiddling with the ribbon cable trying to get it right, the harder it can get to solder it properly.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't really see the point on a system that has native VGA output which is stupid easy to convert into whatever you need.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't really see the point on a system that has native VGA output which is stupid easy to convert into whatever you need.
Simply put, cable management. Id love to go from this:

1652590108209.png

to this: (though I dont know why the dingus didnt just get a miniHDMI->HDMI cable)

1652590205073.png

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
I managed to install one in my system, works amazingly. I love that they have game specific fixes for problematic games like Jojo and Bangio, all of then scale clearly on my OLED. The firmware has a good trouble shooter and the discord is great at debugging any issues you see. Just pick up good quality tacky flux and you should be good.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I picked up one of these this morning - will report back when I get it. Kinda' ugly, but if it neatly sits behind the system I'm ok with that. I used to use a Hanzo VGA box for the longest time and it was similar. Interested to see how it handles the low-res stuff. I always gamble and lose on Ali, but fuck it.

1656604900337.png

Finally got this in from Ali...it's ehhhh - pretty much identical picture quality to the KAICO HDMI adapter. So, for anyone curious - avoid