De-suicided Golden Axe board: MC68000P8 chip replacement?

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I bought this de-suicided board on ebay, and it seems that it got brutalized during shipping.. when I arrived, the mc68000 chip on the board was half popped out! the game didn't boot, obviously.

I re-seated the cpu and it was a bit hard because the pins were bent.. Well god damn, now after a weekend of playing, the freaking cpu was popped out again.

I'm not an expert on those kind of chips, the markings on it say: MC68000P8 and underneath it says GN78531

Can I just order a generic MC68000P8 from ebay and plug it in? I found two sources selling MC68000P8's, but it didnt say GN78531 on it. Is GN78531 simply a serial number?

The board has been de-suicided, and from what I have read, it seems that i can now use a generic 68k cpu because of this.

Can I simply order another MC68000P8?

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Yeah you can simply buy another but you'll probably have the same issue. I did with mine until I finally got it pushed in well enough that it hasn't popped out again.

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
More than likely a shitty socket as well. I would take the CPU out first and get each side fairly straight before buying another.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Looks like the socket is the problem. I got 3x MC68000P10 from ebay, and straight out the gate, it was impossible to fit it in without doing some serious struggling. After lots of swearing, I managed to fit one in, but it's just terrible. The game booted right away, but I bet that if I flexed the pcb just a bit, it would pop out.

This is barbarian as hell, I don't like crappy botch jobs.

I looked at tutorials online about changing the sockets, and it does not look that hard, but I might try to get some help from people at work who are good at this. I don't want to risk ruining my board.

Also, for reference, the MC68000P8 is the WRONG cpu for golden axe, the guy at Sega Ressurection advised me to use the P10 version instead.

Thanks for the help, guys!

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
You can also get a wood board and mount it to the PCB feet. I do this to help flex issues with some of these old massive double-deckers.