Death Stranding

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
So, how is it? The stuff I've read doesn't make it sound so interesting, plus I don't care for that Reedus guy; can't think of a more boring tv show than TWD. Also, the world seemed very generic sci-fi stuff. My main reason for liking the MGS games was the James Bond meets Appleseed world.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I watched a review on Youtube, Looks and sounds like the stupidest game ever made. Reviewer Said he enjoyed it. That being said I could picture it being the best selling game in 2020.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I was intrigued by the hype trailers that came out but viewing snippets of gameplay doesn't seem so interesting. Could this be a possibility to be a free PS+ game by January 2020 or is that too soon? :-J

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
So far I've spent 10-15 hours in it and it's literally been a courier simulator with long cutscenes when you deliver said cargo. I'm not sure if I like the story because I still have no idea what the fuck is going on! But I've built a few roads and bridges with resources I've picked up on my many long, boring walks for which I did to distract from the boredom.

I am literally playing on very easy so I can get the story with as little pain as possible at this point.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Well, one of the German mags described it as 35+ hours of painful playtime with an exceptional ending, which is worth the effort.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Kojima is brilliant...and his art is beautiful...but the guy is a freaking weirdo and his games reflect that.

The game look gorgeous, but I'm 100% sure the plot is past bizarre, that the cut scenes rival the run time of many motion pictures, and most of the gameplay involves hiding from shit.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Looks boring as shit

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Looks boring as shit

Me: *watching the trailer

Preview: Shows amazing graphics, massive lush environments, awesome looking technology

Me: "Wow...this looks awesome"

Preview: Shows weirdo baby in a glass tank that the dude is wearing like a backpack

*Me: *closes video

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Alien Isolation had you hiding from shit most of the time and it was brilliant.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Me: *watching the trailer

Preview: Shows amazing graphics, massive lush environments, awesome looking technology

Me: "Wow...this looks awesome"

Preview: Shows weirdo baby in a glass tank that the dude is wearing like a backpack

*Me: *closes video

So looks like a completely opposite reaction to the one I would have

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So far I've spent 10-15 hours in it and it's literally been a courier simulator with long cutscenes when you deliver said cargo. I'm not sure if I like the story because I still have no idea what the fuck is going on! But I've built a few roads and bridges with resources I've picked up on my many long, boring walks for which I did to distract from the boredom.

I am literally playing on very easy so I can get the story with as little pain as possible at this point.

i made a scene in my office laughing at this post...so thank you

Also, I fear you are echoing what would be my sentiments - so I am gonna' pass on this one for now.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
My wife got me this game for my birthday but I haven’t started it yet. I’m off work next week so I plan on giving it a go. It certainly sounds weird, hopefully it’s fun too!

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm about 8 hours into it, and I dig it so far. It's utterly unique. Really, there's no other game like it.

It's pretty interesting to see a guy as ambitious as Kojima have a vision to make something completely out there, and then there being one publisher who's willing to write him a blank check and then get out of the way. Doesn't happen much any more.

I like the gameplay. It has a tactile feel to it that keeps things engaging and it's incredibly satisfying when you finish a long delivery. The stealth and fighting elements are usually simple but they add variety and don't feel frustrating.

The social building system is a cool idea and it works surprisingly well.

The game's world feels well-realized and the story is somewhere between fine and good.

All that said, it's absolutely gonna be hated by plenty of people. The pace is slow as hell, the gameplay is definitely not for everyone, it's got the usual Kojima excesses, and Jesus Christ the Monster Energy product placement is annoying.

Oh, and apparently Guillermo del Toro doesn't voice his own character. I know English isn't his first language, but he's perfectly fluent as far as I know.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's utterly unique. Really, there's no other game like it.

It's pretty interesting to see a guy as ambitious as Kojima have a vision to make something completely out there, and then there being one publisher who's willing to write him a blank check and then get out of the way. Doesn't happen much any more.

This is the best thing about the game. I don't care if the game is mediocre, it makes me happy there are still developers out there still creating a unique single-player experience.

edit: I've had this playing in the background while I'm working for about an hour. Great stuff. I knew nothing of this game so the first time I saw a fetus in the box I was pleasantly surprised. Kojima really wishes he was a movie director, but can only express himself in video games. So he just makes a game around the movie.

editx2:
Spoiler:
There's a character named Die-Hardman, and his real name is John McClane.
It's so damn video game-y and it's perfect.

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm in chapter 4 now which is past the halfway point I think. Gameplay can get dull at times but the crazy storyline carries it pretty well. The gameplay system does keep expanding with more vehicles, more weapons, etc. I'd echo the comments that the originality is refreshing. I wouldn't want to play a sequel of this, but I'd much rather play this than another Metal Gear even if Kojima made it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I'm in chapter 4 now which is past the halfway point I think. Gameplay can get dull at times but the crazy storyline carries it pretty well. The gameplay system does keep expanding with more vehicles, more weapons, etc. I'd echo the comments that the originality is refreshing. I wouldn't want to play a sequel of this, but I'd much rather play this than another Metal Gear even if Kojima made it.

There are around 14 chapters.