DEMON'S SOULS (strategies, warnings and discussion)

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
demon's souls is one of the most addicting games i've played in a long time. it's gotten far more play time from me over the past few weeks than mw2 or any of the other newer ps3 games for that matter. for all of you who play this brutal game, i'd like to start a thread that deals with strategy and warnings. just like in the game, maybe everyone could pool their resources to make the experience a 'little' nicer for those who are just getting into playing it.

the reason i love this game so much is that death, for better or worse, is a big part of the experience. whether you're a good player or not, you are going to die.

anyways, enough of my fanboy banter...
DISCUSS!!!:vik:

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
As I found out the hard way yesterday, don't stand anywhere near an NPC you may need later when you set your controller down, because more likely than not you'll accidentally deck them. If this happens, they'll never forget it and try to kill you until their last breath.

Seriously though, a good word of advice for beginners is to only delve as far into the dungeon as you feel you can comfortably go and still get out alive. A key to early progression is to cut your losses and return to the nexus to level whenever possible. There's nothing more frustrating than getting twice the souls you'd need to level, then dying and losing them all for good. Don't get cocky, move in slow, and work on the stats you plan to be using while they're still cheap to level.

Also, if you're in a dungeon loaded with narrow corridors, always bring a thrusting weapon, as you'll find yourself hitting more walls and pillars than enemies otherwise, leaving yourself open for some devastation.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
If you're a melee fighter, use your weapon as a 2 hander against the blue eyed knights early on. They go down pretty easily this way.

Pick up the blessed mace +1 in 5-1 after unlocking all the worlds.

Pick up the crescent scimitar +1 from 4-1 (use your blessed mace to bludgeon the skeletons).

Pick up the talisman of god from 4-1 early on.

Get 20k souls early on and pick up evacuate. Invaluable for leveling up and getting out of a place when you're in over your head. 4-1 is a good place to get souls when you're weak and have only finished 1-1.

Kill the red dragon on 1-2. It will make things much easier.

Castor Troy

The Esfinter that theMot Chupame's
There is a passage way on the left side at the beginning of 1-1 that you might miss. You can farm Crescent Moon Grass and pick up some loot as well.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Playing my third run through of demon's souls now.For any beginer starting out for when you kill a boss make sure you use it soul,for learning spells/miracles or making a weapon.I've also notice when a another player invades as a black phantom it's usely 4-1 or 1-4.If your character is in body form...i'd highly suggest summoning another player while online if you can ;)

Btw made the northen regalia finally it's a realy good sword that works in a black or white wt.

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
if you die at far away place and don´t feel like going trough all for the 10th time, then when you die press the Home button on your pad and quit the game to the PS3 menu screen. When you re enter the game and load your last save,you will start a few moments from the place you died. This also works with bosses.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
if you die at far away place and don´t feel like going trough all for the 10th time, then when you die press the Home button on your pad and quit the game to the PS3 menu screen. When you re enter the game and load your last save,you will start a few moments from the place you died. This also works with bosses.

That's really great to know, thanks! That'd help a lot in 4-2 and 5-1, as both of those areas are driving me nuts.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
found it by accident when was pissed with the game and decided to play something else. you must quit right after you die or the next load will be in the moment of your death. They might release an update to "fix" this tough.
honestly i rarely use it, but it came in handy while i was still leveling up and getting the grips with the game.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Just picked up this game so the above advice is appreciated as I already know it will be a difficult road ahead.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I got the Asian version shipped from Hong Kong and it won't be here until next Friday. But we're leaving for my sister's place in Baltimore some time in the morning. Fuck, I hate waiting.:envy:

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
to be completely honest, i just beat phalanx last night. went into stonefang mine...and died. lol....at which point it was like 3 in the morning. part of me wanted to keep going, but the other part was seeing the bed only. lol gonna venture into stonefang tomorrow.

the atmosphere in this game is amazing...and i was surprised at how the leader boards were set up =)

awesome stuff.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I got the Asian version shipped from Hong Kong and it won't be here until next Friday. But we're leaving for my sister's place in Baltimore some time in the morning. Fuck, I hate waiting.:envy:
It's a shame that you are getting the asian version to begin with.I've mention it befor when i sent you a message from the PS3.The asian version,runs on a seprate server so you won't be able to play with people that have the u.s one :p Is there any reason why you couldn't have bought the u.s version of demon's souls ?

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
to be completely honest, i just beat phalanx last night. went into stonefang mine...and died. lol....at which point it was like 3 in the morning. part of me wanted to keep going, but the other part was seeing the bed only. lol gonna venture into stonefang tomorrow.
Stonefang mine use reapers or spears ;)

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I figured since the Asian version has been out a lot longer, there would be people at higher levels still playing it (not sure if this was good logic or not). And I'm studying Chinese, so I thought I'd turn on the Chinese subtitles and try to get more familiar with the characters.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I figured since the Asian version has been out a lot longer, there would be people at higher levels still playing it (not sure if this was good logic or not). And I'm studying Chinese, so I thought I'd turn on the Chinese subtitles and try to get more familiar with the characters.
Oh ok i assume you bought the asian version becuase..you couldn't find the u.s one.It is ture the asian version was out for a longer period of time.I've heard,atlus made a seperate server becuase of that for the u.s version.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Arrived in the mail today. This game is tough, but so addictive. In reviews I read/saw, people kept saying how it reminded them of NES games where you would die over and over trying to get past a certain point. I see what they're talking about.

BryLmoo

20 Year Member
im stuck right now in stonefang getting my ass handed to me by rabid dogs...lol gonna grind some and try again later...
:hammer:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I'm glad I got the Asian version, there are some people on the internet saying that the North American version has frequent server problems. I have only experienced blue phantoms being dropped a couple of times, but I forgot I had a program running on my computer which probably interfered.

This game is amazing though. I was told that there are only two servers, one for NA and one for the rest of the world. So, I was beginning to think that since this has been out so long elsewhere that maybe the popularity would wear off, but I was wrong. There are tons of people playing. If you can just go by the white silhouettes you see walking around (other players in the same area as you), then yeah, there are still a lot of people playing. Not only that, but I have been summoned into games, without having to wait long, and black phantoms are constantly menacing about as well.

The game reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star Online because you can go and take on levels, and then bosses with two other people. And you never know when a black phantom is going to come in and try to kill you all! It puts you on the edge of your seat, but it's so fun.

Although, you will get frustrated at times. I beat the spider boss at the end of 1.2 by myself, and then instead of returning to the nexus right away, I chased down a little blue gecko (which I was seeing for the first time). Chased it passed a bunch of demons, and then I died. So then I respawned and chased him down again, thought I had him, but then I got killed by those demons I ran passed. 11,000+ souls down the toilet. Luckily I've been playing with a veteran who knows what he/she is doing and he/she has been giving me plenty of guidance and help.

I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to get this game, when I could have been playing this last March.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Game sounds like it's way too hard for me.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I figured since the Asian version has been out a lot longer, there would be people at higher levels still playing it (not sure if this was good logic or not).

+1

I traded Phillip for it in EE...should be here in the next week or so. I can't fucking wait.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
This game has an odd effect on me. On the surface, you wouldn't think it would be deep or unique. It is a standard RPG hack and slash, but all of these great elements thrown together make this a surprise hit for me. I played the game for three hours the other day and it seemed like a blur.

If anyone wants to try and get some multiplayer going, shoot me an invite. PSN ID:

JedahDoma

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
This game is fucking ridiculous! I dunno, maybe I suck at these types of games or I'm not "hardcore" enough, but man, this is one of the most unforgiving and frustrating games I've ever played in my life. I can't get past the first area after the tutorial and it pisses me off that I have to start over from the beginning of the level every time I die. I love Atlus games and I really wanted to enjoy this game and play online with you guys, but this is fucking bullshit! I'm gonna go exchange it now and pick up something else.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
This game is fucking ridiculous! I dunno, maybe I suck at these types of games or I'm not "hardcore" enough, but man, this is one of the most unforgiving and frustrating games I've ever played in my life. I can't get past the first area after the tutorial and it pisses me off that I have to start over from the beginning of the level every time I die. I love Atlus games and I really wanted to enjoy this game and play online with you guys, but this is fucking bullshit! I'm gonna go exchange it now and pick up something else.

No! Give it more time. The more you play, it's not about being pissed, but about killing demons and getting lots of souls and mastering the shit. Takes some patience, but it gets better, trust me.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
No! Give it more time. The more you play, it's not about being pissed, but about killing demons and getting lots of souls and mastering the shit. Takes some patience, but it gets better, trust me.

Ok, I admit that maybe I'm being a tad hasty in my judgment. I was just so frustrated to have my ass handed to me constantly so early into the game. I'll give it another day or two and see if it grows on me.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Ok, I admit that maybe I'm being a tad hasty in my judgment. I was just so frustrated to have my ass handed to me constantly so early into the game. I'll give it another day or two and see if it grows on me.

$20 shipped :smirk: