Desoldering gun

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I've been using a Hakko 808 for the past 3 years and it's a champ.
It's a shame to see it's been discontinued.
The FR300 is a replacement for it.

I can't speak to it personally, but the 808 is great.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I do high volume so that might be my problem that makes it have so many problems. If I were to use it only casually then I think it would be fine.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I've been using a Hakko 808 for the past 3 years and it's a champ.
It's a shame to see it's been discontinued.
The FR300 is a replacement for it.

I can't speak to it personally, but the 808 is great.

I use the FR300 myself and love it! Supposedly it has better suction than the 808 as well as a longer cord and built-in power switch. I think it would still be wise to invest in some chip-quick if you're doing surface mount or plated-through desoldering, but it's a great tool for sure.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I use a plastic desoldering pump that costed me like $2. It's fine for my little needs though:

I1279075915.jpg

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Looking to pick up a desoldering gun and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this one,
http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-Digital...=1430404068&sr=8-2&keywords=hakko+desoldering

The reviews seem great on it. I was going to do a Hakko FR300 but a lot of people are complaining about the heating element dying. I know Xian had issues with the Edit: 808 so not sure if I want to go that route.

I have a aoyue desoldering station and it eats through tips like candy after about 30 joints. You will be spending a fortune for tips and that's erched in stone.

It's because of this is why I use a hakko 474 that I salvaged from my job recycling bin as my primary gun now.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I have a aoyue desoldering station and it eats through tips like candy after about 30 joints. You will be spending a fortune for tips and that's erched in stone.

It's because of this is why I use a hakko 474 that I salvaged from my job recycling bin as my primary gun now.

Thanks for the letting me know this, that would be pretty damn annoying.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Even considering the recent issues people been having with them the hakko station is still your best option. I'm still on my first tip after about 400 solder joints.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Even considering the recent issues people been having with them the hakko station is still your best option. I'm still on my first tip after about 400 solder joints.

I did maybe 2000 solder joints in the first week of owning my 808, I guess that might be why mine crapped out after a couple months. I bought the heating element and it's back to itself again.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member

The Aoyue tips do go fast, but I still find the machine suits my needs. If I could go back and find a comparable hakko for the same price, I would opt for that. Still, I have gotten my money's worth out of the Aoyue considering all the time it has saved me, despite having to frequently replace the tips.

bustedstr8

Trollbox Trade Federation,
Hakko tips are beast. With decent cleaning they are probably good for 5,000+ joints. I have the older 808 and it's solid after 4 years. Just one new tip and a few dozen filters over that time.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
My 808 chews through filters like nobody's business, but the heating element, tip, metal pre-filter and tube are all in EXCELLENT condition still, and I've done at least 3000 joints on it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I might see if I can mod my 808 to use the longer filters like my old desoldering iron used. Had to change them only once every 2 months.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I might see if I can mod my 808 to use the longer filters like my old desoldering iron used. Had to change them only once every 2 months.

You can also squeeze some extra life out of the filters by peeling off a layer once it becomes rosin-logged. Probably wouldn't want to do this more than once or twice, however.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
I am using this one ... and it doing wonders for me so far.

Free.jpg

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
Did the 808 get replaced by the FR300? I wouldn't mind getting an 808, but it doesn't look like they make it anymore.

Edit: just saw someone mention that above. Whoops.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, they are really similar but there are several minor improvements to the new model.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Buy a Hakko. Seriously. After using one I don't know how people do frequent board work without it.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
A proper desoldering gun can't be beat, and Hakko is ususally very good, and easy to repair (my 808 came with a diagram and parts list).

If you need to desolder even semi-frequently, it's worth the investment.
If you just need to do a little job every now and then, you could try something like this:
060849.jpg

you're gonna get hand cramps though.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I think I'm about to just go ahead and get the fr-300.

I'm tired of using the simple solder sucker pumps

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I think I'm about to just go ahead and get the fr-300.

I'm tired of using the simple solder sucker pumps

Glad you're getting rid of the solder sucker. It makes me weep when I see someone using that to do *any* repair. You can't really beat the 808, but the FR300 looks pretty damn legit. If it's a Hakko, its bound to be good.

Might want to pick up some Gootwick brand desoldering braid. It's the best. Really.