Developers want to drop Series S Requirement

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

lol Series S.

This will probably never happen, but imagine if games started coming out that aren't compatible with a console that MS was selling as "next gen" for the past two years.

"Sorry little Jimmy, your Series S we got you is obsolete."

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
This was bound to happen eventually, it's like Nintendo leaving the gamecube to release both the Wii (rebadged gamecube hardware) and Switch at the same time and forcing games to be cross-releases.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
So you think it's happening? Can't wait to see how all those who bought into the Series S, saying it's a great system, will react.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Of course devs always want to drop the weakest platform. The game runs fine on the Xeon Gold rig with a GTX 3090 or whatever the company got them. Why waste all that time making it work on the thing your customer actually owns?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
never understood what the point of the S was

"oh man I can't handle all that series X power, better get the inferior version"
Yeah the S sucks. I can understand if the $500 of the X is genuinely too much for some people to afford. But I'll never understand people who sang the virtues of the S and were actually excited about it. The console basically exists to make everyone who likes new consoles feel sad.

I won't skip the Series S coverage in Digital Foundry videos, but I wish the console didn't exist so they didn't have to cover it.

The S is basically the this sound of consoles:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
S is fine for most gamers who aren’t nerds and just want to play COD or Fifa.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The S exists for non gamer parents to spend only $300 for little Jimmy’s Xmas present.

I also am not sure what Microsoft was doing. But then again I did own a Xbox One X so I am dumb enough to get SKU upgrades.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Yeah, the S was solely so Microsoft could claim they had a $300 "next-gen" console even though it's barely more powerful than the One X. This was inevitable... Microsoft putting their foot down is just going to mean either developers won't make their games for Microsoft consoles or consoles are all going to get shittier versions because they have to aim their specs at a lower-end machine for the next 5-7 years.

Not to be what's-his-name (that dufus that used to endlessly talk about his rig and shit on consoles around here) but it's yet another reason to switch to the PC as a platform: you're always going to get the best version of every game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The S exists for non gamer parents to spend only $300 for little Jimmy’s Xmas present.

I also am not sure what Microsoft was doing. But then again I did own a Xbox One X so I am dumb enough to get SKU upgrades.
The One X is pretty rad though. Better to be the overpowered system of the previous gen than the gimp version of the next gen.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I never understood the reason why the S model was so prolific during supply chain shortages compared to the X. This past week was the first time I ever saw an X actually in stock in a store, while I've seen S's by the dozens since it was released.

I get that components may be hard to come by, but by that severe of a difference?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Any reason I should consider replacing the One X for Series X? Shit question but I don't know if I can convince myself enough to do it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I never understood the reason why the S model was so prolific during supply chain shortages compared to the X. This past week was the first time I ever saw an X actually in stock in a store, while I've seen S's by the dozens since it was released.

I get that components may be hard to come by, but by that severe of a difference?

Blu Ray Disk drives maybe?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Any reason I should consider replacing the One X for Series X? Shit question but I don't know if I can convince myself enough to do it.

Probably not until they cease releasing games on the Xbox One if you aren’t concerned about potentially improved graphics and/or better loading times/performance.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

The load times on the Series X are rather lovely. But there’s no exclusive games yet to warrant the upgrade. That will probably change in the next year.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I mean $200 price difference is like 3 games...So the choice should be obvious to anyone.

instead of getting 10 shitty games on a shit system just get 7 shitty games on a more powerful shit system.

D’uh

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

It can't be that people just don't want it? It doesn't really appeal to early adopter types.
The load times on the Series X are rather lovely. But there’s no exclusive games yet to warrant the upgrade. That will probably change in the next year.
I mean, an upgrade is an upgrade. Do you mean if you already have a PS5?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I never considered the series s.
I still have a handful of 360 games and skipped the XBone so not only was the X the logical choice I also still prefer physically owning the game.