Did you break the lockdown?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
In the end, this is the perfect embodiment of 'damned if you, damned if you don't' situation. I just hope if anyone has to get infected and die, it'll be the people who believe in Plandemic and think it's a Bill Gates conspiracy to control the world.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I only go with what the scientists recommend. I do not question or rebel, I listen and follow like a soldier. It's now close to June, and America has now had businesses closed longer than China I think.

America had its shot in January and February to contain the virus from spreading. Stopping all Chinese citizens from entering America is one of the best moves Trump will make in his presidency. However, his odd nonchalance and going at odds with Fauci has undermined a large percentage of the common folk's confidence in science and what should be done.

I don't have an argument here. I personally think it would be best for people to listen to what scientists recommend to do. At the same time, America is too long gone now, the virus will bounce back, makes me sad I won't be able to go home this year.

So every year when the flu is around and the CDC makes recommendations like 'get the vaccine, stay home from work if you feel sick, wash your hands frequently, and blah blah blah' you think we should take those scientific recommendations and enforce them with legal authority? For myself, I follow them as best I'm able, but I'm not interested in making someone else who doesn't care, care.

There is no containing a virus like this, sorry. If we 'contained it' in January and February we would only have delayed its arrival. It will be with us for a long time depending on how effective natural antibodies are at preventing reinfection. It will kill lots of people. There won't be a vaccine any time soon. There may be moderately effective treatments and therapies.

Scientists (what a weird, overly broad term) are generally not elected policy makers. They are people with areas of expertise that can advise those policy makers, but they should not govern my life. I am still free to heed or ignore their advice at my own peril.

By the by, we've been going out more lately, but there is still nothing open for the kids to do, so open fields are the best we can manage.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I haven't taken a flu vaccine since I was a kid. I don't care about the flu. Again, I'm not a smart guy. Billions and billions of potential dollars have been lost. When governments are making decisions to NOT make that money, you know something's serious. The flu's around each year and governments don't stop the countries. The top expert here in China advised everyone to stay inside for 14 days, then another 14 days...and we did it, and then life slowly came back to normal despite every city being incredibly dense. This works for China, the Chinese people are happy by and large for these measures seeing how ravaged other countries are. That said, it's not a one-size, fit-all solution for every country. It's like saying I'm glad guns are banned here but I'm also glad guns aren't banned in America, it doesn't make me a hypocrite, it's just not going to work in every culture.

There probably won't be a vaccine until next year around this time of year, maybe. Or could be a few years off. Or never, who knows. That said, I don't think it's incredibly taxing to have tried this stay-at-home order for a few months to see how it worked out. I hear Sweden has done something akin to what you want, having life go on as normal. I don't know much more beyond that or how the Swedes feel about it.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I haven't taken a flu vaccine since I was a kid. I don't care about the flu. Again, I'm not a smart guy. Billions and billions of potential dollars have been lost. When governments are making decisions to NOT make that money, you know something's serious. The flu's around each year and governments don't stop the countries. The top expert here in China advised everyone to stay inside for 14 days, then another 14 days...and we did it, and then life slowly came back to normal despite every city being incredibly dense. This works for China, the Chinese people are happy by and large for these measures seeing how ravaged other countries are. That said, it's not a one-size, fit-all solution for every country. It's like saying I'm glad guns are banned here but I'm also glad guns aren't banned in America, it doesn't make me a hypocrite, it's just not going to work in every culture.

There probably won't be a vaccine until next year around this time of year, maybe. Or could be a few years off. Or never, who knows. That said, I don't think it's incredibly taxing to have tried this stay-at-home order for a few months to see how it worked out. I hear Sweden has done something akin to what you want, having life go on as normal. I don't know much more beyond that or how the Swedes feel about it.

When you say you don't think it has been incredibly taxing, can i ask what you have been living off for the last 3 months?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I think what I meant to say was, "I don't think this stay-at-home order is going to kill you for a few months". Already a few liters in so give me some slack.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
When the fuck am I going to get my edit function back, jesus christ.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
basic you're cool because I was thinking the same thing when I typed 'listen to scientists'. But shit, they've dedicated their lives to studying this, they know a helluva lot more than I do, why shouldn't I listen?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
No more [REDACTED], it was fun while it lasted, just give me the edit function back. Shit, I'm only allowed 50 PMs too so no one can PM me either. Dunno what wasabi's aim is but this is humiliating.

lithy

20 Year Member
Open fields for kids sounds refreshingly good.

Sounds good, in practice, when you aren't supposed to have them play with other kids and sure an open field is usable but the playground right next to it is wrapped in caution tape and they've taken down the basketball hoops and dumped sand into the skate park, meanwhile golf courses and boating were reopened a couple weeks ago, it makes it all seem a bit petty at best and spiteful at worst.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sounds good, in practice, when you aren't supposed to have them play with other kids and sure an open field is usable but the playground right next to it is wrapped in caution tape and they've taken down the basketball hoops and dumped sand into the skate park, meanwhile golf courses and boating were reopened a couple weeks ago, it makes it all seem a bit petty at best and spiteful at worst.

Sounds to me it's a federal problem more than a state problem. Federal government was given a heads up...three months in advance and still didn't have a plan for what to do. Thank mao Trump's prez because if it was Hilldawg there'd already be a civil war over muh freeeedom to not wear a face mask.

lithy

20 Year Member
Sounds to me it's a federal problem more than a state problem. Federal government was given a heads up...three months in advance and still didn't have a plan for what to do. Thank mao Trump's prez because if it was Hilldawg there'd already be a civil war over muh freeeedom to not wear a face mask.

Listen to the scientists!

Doesn't get a flu shot.

Make up your mind.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Different death rates, dipshit. One virus every government in the world doesn't stop shit. The other virus, EVERY country in the world stopped. Maybe they know better, so OK. I can waste my time whining or I can do what needs to be done. Going back to work in school next Monday. We'll see when America goes back to school.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
basic you're cool because I was thinking the same thing when I typed 'listen to scientists'. But shit, they've dedicated their lives to studying this, they know a helluva lot more than I do, why shouldn't I listen?

it was just the image that popped into my head. no intention behind it.

lithy

20 Year Member
Different death rates, dipshit. One virus every government in the world doesn't stop shit. The other virus, EVERY country in the world stopped. Maybe they know better, so OK. I can waste my time whining or I can do what needs to be done. Going back to work in school next Monday. We'll see when America goes back to school.

Irrelevant, you don't get to just say 'look they're doing it so it must be right' and then claim that you're standing on the shoulders of science, that isn't how science works. Flu vaccine saves lives and you aren't getting one. Why? You're going to need to justify your actions better if you expect me to get on board your Listening to the Scientists Train. Lockdown is after all about saving lives right? So if it is, why are you participating in behavior that leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths each and every year?

Toot toot.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Irrelevant, you don't get to just say 'look they're doing it so it must be right' and then claim that you're standing on the shoulders of science, that isn't how science works. Flu vaccine saves lives and you aren't getting one. Why? You're going to need to justify your actions better if you expect me to get on board your Listening to the Scientists Train. Lockdown is after all about saving lives right? So if it is, why are you participating in behavior that leads to hundreds of thousands of deaths each and every year?

Toot toot.

giphy.gif

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

If your doctor told you to stop drinking 6L per day, would you listen?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Listen to the scientists!

Doesn't get a flu shot.

Make up your mind.

I did make up my mind. I listen to the government who enforced the stay-at-home rules which has disrupted daily life, and to the scientists so the sooner this can be over. One is the flu, the other is a pandemic.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No more [REDACTED], it was fun while it lasted, just give me the edit function back. Shit, I'm only allowed 50 PMs too so no one can PM me either. Dunno what wasabi's aim is but this is humiliating.

Just create a new post and copy paste what you would edit within [REDACTED] drunk shame goes here [/REDACTED] and we’ll know you didn’t mean what you said.

Last edited: