Did you get any cool stuff for Christmas?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I bought a PC Engine mini from Amazon Japan for someone to give to me. I already played through Ninja Spirit and Star Parodier. Otherwise just boring “adult” stuff like socks and sneakers I need to exchange, I did get a few Amazon gift cards I’ll save for when I finally decide to get a PS5 to put towards like I did with PS4.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Sure most of the cool stuff I bought myself. I'll make a picture later

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I got some more stuff as well, but this was all the gaming related stuff. I guess the Peepys aren't gaming related lol.20211224_124938.jpg

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
9C2F52D9-D4F1-4E33-8473-DC9BC9F6F2A2.jpegIt takes me about a year to shred a pair of these so I usually get them for Xmas, this year I got two pair.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I got some fire extinguishers
We replaced our smoke alarms... wheeeee

View attachment 54719It takes me about a year to shred a pair of these so I usually get them for Xmas, this year I got two pair.

Fuck, I need new slippers. My last pair met an unfortunate demise while trying to wrangle a cat lol. I'm wearing new Jordans around the house (it's cold here don't judge me) because I don't want to wear nasty outside shoes around the house.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
We replaced our smoke alarms... wheeeee

Fuck, I need new slippers. My last pair met an unfortunate demise while trying to wrangle a cat lol. I'm wearing new Jordans around the house (it's cold here don't judge me) because I don't want to wear nasty outside shoes around the house.

Yeah, I have a real Mr Rogers thing going on. I always have indoor footwear of some kind.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I got laid

And then I reflected on how much I enjoy getting laid.

good-answer-family-feud.gif

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I was always intrigued with the MSX but I have only emulated.

I mean, among all the garbage 8 bit underpowered computers the MSX really takes the cake for actually being a serious attempt at a standardized environment, and the stellar software by Konami, Compile, SystemSoft and other devs really makes it stand on its own among so much europuter shovelware.

But of course any console humiliates MSX for gaming. MSX1 is a Coleco with keyboard and more RAM and gets fucked in the ass by 8 bit consoles, MSX2 feels like a Master System Plus in terms of graphics and is no match for any 16-bit console. If you want one purely for gaming you'll probably get disappointed, or play konami games THEN get disappointed. It's a very fun platform if you're a nerd like me that will actually mess with the tech, probably not as cool if you only want to boot games in it.

I bought one finally a couple of years ago after careful screening of options, from an equally nerdy person, seems like the machine was made for me really.

And btw: I did not get laid, I REPEAT I DID NOT GET LAID. Better not reflect on it...

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I mean, among all the garbage 8 bit underpowered computers the MSX really takes the cake for actually being a serious attempt at a standardized environment, and the stellar software by Konami, Compile, SystemSoft and other devs really makes it stand on its own among so much europuter shovelware.

But of course any console humiliates MSX for gaming. MSX1 is a Coleco with keyboard and more RAM and gets fucked in the ass by 8 bit consoles, MSX2 feels like a Master System Plus in terms of graphics and is no match for any 16-bit console. If you want one purely for gaming you'll probably get disappointed, or play konami games THEN get disappointed. It's a very fun platform if you're a nerd like me that will actually mess with the tech, probably not as cool if you only want to boot games in it.

I bought one finally a couple of years ago after careful screening of options, from an equally nerdy person, seems like the machine was made for me really.

And btw: I did not get laid, I REPEAT I DID NOT GET LAID. Better not reflect on it...
I wish I could both Like and Laugh react to this one

Thanks for all the info, this will probably remain among the things I don't own, but still that's neat. For older computers I'm good with DOS and MacOS, or apple II / IIgs most of the time. My most cared for retro computers are definitely my IIGS and Mac SE.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I wish I could both Like and Laugh react to this one

Thanks for all the info, this will probably remain among the things I don't own, but still that's neat. For older computers I'm good with DOS and MacOS, or apple II / IIgs most of the time. My most cared for retro computers are definitely my IIGS and Mac SE.

MSX1 machines are cheap and plentiful enough to play around and if you don't mind the simplicity of the games (stay away from the zx ports...) it's a fine system on its own. MSX2s units from japan used to be cheapo too but I'm kinda disconnected with the global market for these things now that importing is again very disfavorable here. MSX2+ and TurboRs, however, are mostly shelfqueen vanity stuff since there's little software that takes advantage of the extra hardware, I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

A MSX could be worth a casual look.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
What can you do with them other than games?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Four sweatshirts, a couple of Amazon gift cards and my wife bought me one of those Zelda Game and Watches.

I pretty much buy everything I want for myself anyway and giving's always more fun. I bought my nephew a Cars playset thing that's bigger than he is. Seeing a 2-year-old go "Oh wow!" and spending most of an afternoon putting it together and playing with it is more satisfying than whatever plastic crap I could've thought to ask for.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I got a 1930's wood and brass desktop kaleidoscope, a couple punk records, and some sweet 80's folding binoculars. Also we inherited that $7k bottle of bourbon. It was a real good xmas!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Did the any of the people at the nursing home give you a gift?

Werther's, icy hot, some Ensure?
Boss gave me some winter gloves, chocolate, beef jerky, 2 flashlights, and a notepad w/pen, one of the LPNs gave me hand sanitizer on a keychain, and one of the residents gave me a Xmas card, that was it for gifts from work this year that I can recall. But, the best thing, as always, is that I received 8 hours of free holiday pay even though I had Christmas off.

Edit: 32 cents an hour raise too, from the new union contract. Not Christmas specific per se, but it did begin during the Christmas week pay period.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Seeing a 2-year-old go "Oh wow!" and spending most of an afternoon putting it together and playing with it is more satisfying than whatever plastic crap I could've thought to ask for.
That is truly what it's about IMO. I like getting some stuff but spoiling the kids is way more fun.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Got a water distiller. Getting used to the taste of it, but seeing the residuals left over, I'm glad to have the appliance.
We're considering installing a whole house filtration system. It's not as bad as I thought to obtain one but I'm no plumber, so that adds a few hundred bucks.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
We're considering installing a whole house filtration system. It's not as bad as I thought to obtain one but I'm no plumber, so that adds a few hundred bucks.
Sounds good depending on what you're doing with the water. Out of sight out of mind except for the filter changes. We have hard water with all sorts of minerals around here.

The distiller is great, but I can tell it's another chore for me to keep track of, like the the hot water boiler and the coffee maker. I drink a lot straight from the tap so it's probably a good move.