Dig's Ultimate Magical Drop 3 Technique

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I've been sitting on this technique for a while now, and I think it's time to share it. Now, in order to pull this off, you need to know the game well, and be good enough to make reactions/combos like they're nothing. You also need to be good at making your own reactions by placing two drops of the same color next to a third drop of the same color, therefor you're setting yourself up to make the reaction. This is an extremely important skill for this technique. Basically, don't be a scrub at MD3, be fast, and you'll be able to pull this off. With this technique I 1cc'd the game on level 4, including Black Pierrot and Fortune BEFORE quota. I've also never lost in a VS match using this. So how does it work? The gist of it is simple and goes against what most puzzle game players do. Stop making large chains of reactions.

This technique will only work with 6 characters, 3 normally usable and 3 hidden. Why these 6 only? They're the only characters in the game that drop 4 lines on the opponent per 2 reactions. These characters are Strength, World, Empress, Temperance, Tower, and Fortune. (Hidden character flag enabled in picture)
agG4id1.jpg

Once you've selected your character and you start your game, you'll see the first stage starts with 3 lines for each player. For reference, the number of lines the round starts with increases as you progress through the game. Anyways, lets make our first combo of two reactions. We see that making a combo of two reactions will drop 4 lines down on our opponent. This is the whole key to the technique. We only ever want to make a combo of 2 reactions for a total of 4 lines dropped. DON'T make a combo chain longer than this. I'll explain this further in a sec.
3VDl0pk.jpg

Here we see that we've dropped 4 lines down on our opponent from making the two reaction chain.
NagzHWt.jpg

Now, why do I say not to make a reaction chain longer than this? That's because if you make it any longer, you'll be wasting your time and wasting your drops. If a combo of two reactions drops 4 lines down on your opponent, you would think that if you made two more reactions right after, it would equal 8 lines, right? Wrong. If you keep your chain going, it takes 6 reactions to equal 8 lines down on your opponent. This is wasted time and drops.
QaksmO5.jpg

What you need to do instead is wait for a split second for the reactions number and the lines number to disappear before you make your next combo of two reactions. Even though you wait for a fraction of a second before you make your next two reactions, this is actually faster and drops more lines compared to making huge chains. If you wait for that split second in between, 6 reactions will bank you 12 lines down on your opponent which is enough to beat them. If you made the huge chain of 6 like earlier, it only gets you 8 lines down, and you'll still need to do more work after to beat the stage. As you can see, this technique is the difference between beating the stage, and taking more time. If you wait until the reactions and lines number disappear, you'll maximize the number of lines dropped on your opponent. 2 reactions is 4 lines, 4 reactions is 8 lines, 6 reactions is 12 lines, 8 reactions is 16 lines, and so forth. This is a marked increase when compared to making huge chains like most players do.

I hope this helps any MD3 players out there. If you have any MD3 related questions feel free to let me know.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Neat. Seems like it was an oversight but a way to blast through the game I guess.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
good stuff :buttrock:

Looks solid for vs and competitive play. I’m curious if the use of this technique would hamper hi-score attempts though.

When 1cc’ing this game I’m usually chasing score rather than tactics (bigger combos, more chances to raise score against the AI rather than end the match), but I’ll definitely try this method out to see how it compares during play.

Thanks Digmac!

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
good stuff :buttrock:

Looks solid for vs and competitive play. I’m curious if the use of this technique would hamper hi-score attempts though.

When 1cc’ing this game I’m usually chasing score rather than tactics (bigger combos, more chances to raise score against the AI rather than end the match), but I’ll definitely try this method out to see how it compares during play.

Thanks Digmac!

This is definitely for VS play, competitive/tournament use, and speedrunning MD3. You do get massive time bonuses with this method, however you can’t milk your score by dropping your lines down and setting up 15-20 reaction combos. That’s how you really get the high scores, but this technique is more for actually 1cc’ing the game in my opinion. In my personal opinion, this technique is a real test of skill and trying to clear the game with it is more of a challenge because you run into the Black Pierrot, the hardest character in the entire game (if you clear the stages fast enough). The Black Pierrot is more difficult than the final boss of the game, and if you can beat him, you can beat any real opponent.

Try it out and let me know what you think though man! Lolifoxgirl used to call me the “Drop Wizard” with this technique lol.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This is definitely for VS play, competitive/tournament use, and speedrunning MD3. You do get massive time bonuses with this method, however you can’t milk your score by dropping your lines down and setting up 15-20 reaction combos. That’s how you really get the high scores, but this technique is more for actually 1cc’ing the game in my opinion. In my personal opinion, this technique is a real test of skill and trying to clear the game with it is more of a challenge because you run into the Black Pierrot, the hardest character in the entire game (if you clear the stages fast enough). The Black Pierrot is more difficult than the final boss of the game, and if you can beat him, you can beat any real opponent.

Try it out and let me know what you think though man! Lolifoxgirl used to call me the “Drop Wizard” with this technique lol.

Sounds awesome; I’ll definitely give this a shot :buttrock:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've also noticed that 2 chain combos wreck the cpu. Also US difficulty is easier than japan too. All those characters you listed are pretty overpowered imo if you just look at their patterns except maybe World. For that reason I usually don't use them when playing with Jarofmayo.

On a related note Im still trying to figure out what causes the balloon glitch in magical drop 2. There is a way to detonate all of the same color of something without an actual destroy all color balloon. Its pretty weird when it happens.

Last edited:

Slyelessar

n00b
This is my currently pick up and play game - loving it. This technique and information has just blown my mind, and I'm going to adopt it. Great post!

Out of the above, which is your favourite/ go to character? I tend to lean towards World!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
This is my currently pick up and play game - loving it. This technique and information has just blown my mind, and I'm going to adopt it. Great post!

Out of the above, which is your favourite/ go to character? I tend to lean towards World!

My go to has always been Strength. I 1cc’d the game using Strength and that’s been my go to character ever since. I also like playing Tower. Hope this technique helps!

Tanuki

n00b
Quality post. :-J

So I'm able to consistently get to Fortune on one credit using this strat, but I can never seal the deal against her. Any chance we could see a video of the technique in action against her? Maybe I've been doing it wrong this whole time...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'll have to try a 1cc of that once I finish final fight, great stuff!