Dinoforce: unreleased PC Engine shooter dumped for FREE

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Talk about taking collector's editions to ridiculous extremes. Those are almost completely unrelated to the game in question, in fact it might as well be a blank ROM or something that writes SUCKER in big letters on-screen. I mean, there are literal slabs of unplayable metal also being sold separately.

This is shameless milking brought to a whole new level, and even more embarassing if you anticipate people actually defending this (they already are). Videogames are fucking dumb.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Talk about taking collector's editions to ridiculous extremes. Those are almost completely unrelated to the game in question, in fact it might as well be a blank ROM or something that writes SUCKER in big letters on-screen. I mean, there are literal slabs of unplayable metal also being sold separately.

This is shameless milking brought to a whole new level, and even more embarassing if you anticipate people actually defending this (they already are). Videogames are fucking dumb.
Ummmm - You can directly download the ROM and not bother with the rest of the PCE Works garbage. Those silly "collectors" items are there for those that want them. If people want to pay for a box of trash, that's on them. I mean, they could have just locked the game to the physical editions. 🤷‍♂️

**I had to open up the download page in an incognito browser window, then press enter on the address bar to download if anyone is having trouble. Interesting concept for a shmup.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Did you miss the download link? They can sell whatever useless crap they want as long as they are making the game free to the public. This is a model for other releases.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We’ll make fun of the buyers just like we made fun of the idiots who bought those stupid Castlevania bootlegs that cost more than the original.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah, see what I mean? Enjoy the free download but please don't defend this bullshit.
Of course you're completely correct. PCE Works sucks, but credit where credit is due. The sentiment of the post just looks bad without at least conceding that the free download is all that matters.

This looks like shit. There’s many a good reason why some games don’t come out.
Next time someone finds an unreleased game, remind me to tell them not to bother dumping it, since a bunch of folks on n-g.com said not to.

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Next time someone finds an unreleased game, remind me to tell them not to bother dumping it, since a bunch of folks on n-g.com said not to.
Not every shitty lost game that gets dumped is worth getting excited about. That's great that it's been "finished" and dumped but that doesn't mean you should automatically be sucking off the people that did it.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Not every shitty lost game that gets dumped is worth getting excited about. That's great that it's been "finished" and dumped but that doesn't mean you should automatically be sucking off the people that did it.
That's a given. But it is great any time an unfinished/unreleased game. good or bad, is shared so others can at least boot it up on a flash drive. It is immoral for one person to have sole access to game data that has historic and preservationist value to others in the hobby.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
That's a given. But it is great any time an unfinished/unreleased game. good or bad, is shared so others can at least boot it up on a flash drive. It is immoral for one person to have sole access to game data that has historic and preservationist value to others in the hobby.

Agreed, it's more about the preservation of the work and someone getting to experience it. Who knows, someone might have been fappin' it to gaming magazines when this was announced and was crushed when it wasn't released? Its not likely but it could happen.

Imagine in 30 years if somehow someone got a copy of whatever amount of Star Wars 1313 was completed? That game looked really cool. I wish there was even an alpha I could check out.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Now you know the point of view of the rare noob that is unaware of Dion. You know why there's a free download? Because he isn't stupid, this is exactly to make him look like the good guy and drown out the usual people that will make fun of his business and his shitty practices from the past, like outright scamming people or making very capable translators/homebrewers quit by profiting off their work.

Speaking of preservationism, where's the original unmolested ROM? I've talked with some PCE devs about it, there's no way to know what parts of the credit screen are original (if they ever existed beyond text in the ROM), if any content was filled in via assumptions, etc. AND they removed some stuff like the UniPost logo at the title screen -- funny because the graphic data still gets loaded into VRAM anyway, it was just dummied out.

I assume Tobias Fudoh would actually release the original ROM dumps if people whined enough just to try and make us look like deranged complainers again, so that's something good that can come from this. :D

---

By the way, I have probably put way too many hours in Dinoforce ever since it was out. Did you fellas find the hidden Stage 0 yet? It's a pretty meh game if I'm quite honest but it's fun to play while its still a novelty.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Now you know the point of view of the rare noob that is unaware of Dion. You know why there's a free download? Because he isn't stupid, this is exactly to make him look like the good guy and drown out the usual people that will make fun of his business and his shitty practices from the past, like outright scamming people or making very capable translators/homebrewers quit by profiting off their work.

Speaking of preservationism, where's the original unmolested ROM? I've talked with some PCE devs about it, there's no way to know what parts of the credit screen are original (if they ever existed beyond text in the ROM), if any content was filled in via assumptions, etc. AND they removed some stuff like the UniPost logo at the title screen -- funny because the graphic data still gets loaded into VRAM anyway, it was just dummied out.

I assume Tobias Fudoh would actually release the original ROM dumps if people whined enough just to try and make us look like deranged complainers again, so that's something good that can come from this. :D
Do you want the original version of Mad Stalker for Mega Drive too? What positive contribution did Dion ever make? It sounds like the unreleased alpha version may not have been in a playable state anyway. Of course it's better if they don't remove graphics and add their own stuff, but I'll take what I can get. I feel a little better about the released version knowing Chris Covell worked on it.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
The released NG Eye of Typhoon looks like shit, brother.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
When Chumbawamba signed to EMI the existing fan base saw it as betrayal. However, once they signed to EMI that existing fan base became %1 of the fan base and nobody is obligated to cater to %1 of their audience so all their complaining didn’t matter after a short period. Every OG replaced by 99 noobs.

Seeing PCE Werx legitimized is like that. The people who know what a lying POS he is are outnumbered by ROM-mad collectards.

Let the pigs play in their shit, I don’t care anymore.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

holy shit, people are dumb:

Screenshot 2022-11-28 101821.jpg

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Someone put a lot of work into that and it shows. Hats off to them, the fine print at the bottom is beautiful.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hahaah so much energy for a spoof - love it. I actually dig PCEW, but I get the hate....I guess. Nerd rage is probably a better term.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
I have some releases too. Didn't bother after I got the SSDS3. Got the translated Castlevania disc (only) for free. :vik:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hahaah so much energy for a spoof - love it. I actually dig PCEW, but I get the hate....I guess. Nerd rage is probably a better term.

You “dig” what, exactly? Piracy with fancy fake labels? Lies about where the games come from?

To me he’s like an illegal version of Limited Run games which you’d think wouldn’t be popular…

…is he Robin Hood to you or something? What’s the appeal?

To me he’s not as greasy and violent as Dion but at least Dion sold real (converted) shit. In some ways I think he’s closer to what Dion wanted to be. This idea that you can makes fake games that are bigger and better than the real ones…a strange form of some kind of small minded megalomania.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
You “dig” what, exactly? Piracy with fancy fake labels? Lies about where the games come from?

To me he’s like an illegal version of Limited Run games which you’d think wouldn’t be popular…

…is he Robin Hood to you or something? What’s the appeal?

To me he’s not as greasy and violent as Dion but at least Dion sold real (converted) shit. In some ways I think he’s closer to what Dion wanted to be. This idea that you can makes fake games that are bigger and better than the real ones…a strange form of some kind of small minded megalomania.

Like I said, I get it. I'm not defending them. Is anyone else stepping up to make fancy "official" reissues of PC Engine stuff? No. It's niche bootlegging, and it's done amazingly well. They don't phone it in, their bootlegs are above and beyond anything I've seen. For that, I dig 'em.

Beyond the OG Sapphire bootlegging - their stuff has zero impact on the real thing as well as far as second hand sales/collecting are concerned. They made a goddamn release for Force Gear...come on.