Disc Golf Thread

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
This past spring/summer I was looking for something to get me outside where I could still see friends while social distancing. One of my buddies who's been into disc golf almost 20 years convinced me to give it a go. I tried it out and was instantly hooked. It's like a mix of hiking and lawn games. The courses in my area are largely in deep forests and/or on a mountainside. There's quite a bit of technique and finesse required to make the disc fly as desired. Can't wait for this spring so I can get back at it again. Any of you guys ever played before and if so what's your take on the sport?

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Haven't tried it, but, it's become VERY popular in my area. There's actually a course out in the forest maybe two-three hundred feet from my house. Mostly only guys play and liquor is usually involved (easy to hide from da fuzz out in the trees). I've considered it, but the mosquitoes and ticks are a deterrent for me.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I had a client about a year ago who was absolutely bonkers and a complete asshole. He was a VP at a big company. His behavior just blew my mind, so I ended up googling him. The two things that hit me were that he was an ex-con and was really into the frolf.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I used to have a ton f friends that were really into bee golf, they had custom made discs and shit. I went once and was bored out of my mind aside from the scenery. All the weed and beer in world couldn't make it interesting, much like a Phish concert.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
I started disc golfing by age 10. I lived walking distance from one of the 2 courses in the area.

I carry about 14 discs in my bag and have probably 20 or 30 spares I change out with based on what course I'm throwing. Some discs never leave my bag and some only visit for a round here and there.

A couple years ago I moved to a new area. The closest course isn't that great, it's too tightly packed into a park. Some holes you're throwing along side the literal road, and that's just not fun for anybody. I need to find a good course here, I was spoiled growing up.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
First i thought this thread was about this :rolleyes:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
disc golf is awesome. the people that play it are mostly not. but it's one of the ever-decreasing number of things you can do in america for free. so give it a shot

skate323k137

10 Year Member
disc golf is awesome. the people that play it are mostly not. but it's one of the ever-decreasing number of things you can do in america for free. so give it a shot

You can definitely run into some interesting people to say the least. My experience with "randos" is mostly good, as long as you avoid the group with the kid in a stroller lol.

Around where I grew up, people were good about course etiquette. Simple stuff like letting smaller groups play through, or yelling "CLEAR" when you clear a basket and head to the next hole.

Also if you drink or smoke weed you'll probably make a lot of friends on the course pretty quickly. If either of those things offend you, you might not have a great time. But overall it's a great sport and I recommend anyone to try it.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
I used to play every day for a few years, not great at it or anything.
But it was a fun way to get out of the house and spend some time with the homies.

The courses here are kind of wank and you wouldn't really want to play in the summer unless you wake up super early and get done before the swamp ass sets in.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Like ebinsugewa said, most courses are free to play and in my area almost every town has one. I have a good group of regulars I play with and was able to get a bunch of my friends who weren't familiar with the sport to give it a shot. Almost all of them thought it was rad and went out to play multiple times after. I've got a really good work crew too, we've had up to 10 people make it out at the same time. For the most part it seems to be guys in their 20s-30s that I see out, occasionally a guy will have his girlfriend with him holding his discs, the caddy. I can't speak for everyone I get together with but when I hit the course I've got a couple of beers and a joint in hand. Good times.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Bummmmp

Anyone getting out this year?

We found a good course in the area, free and well marked (don't even need a map, which is amazing).

I've got some beginner discs I'll never throw again if somebody wants/needs them. My wife has gotten good enough to start throwing heavier/more stable discs.

Also... Anyone see the shot that made sports center? James Conrad hit a 240ish ft birdie to force a playoff in the world championship, and won.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Just counted my score cards and I've played about 50 rounds so far this year at 6 courses. One new course which was very good, Wrightsville Beach.

I'm all about the premium plastics, Champion / Z / VIP / Proton. They don't get dinged up like DX and are easy to keep clean. I added a couple new discs to my bag this year which really helped balance it out. Flipperi holds a right line when thrown flat and right hand backhand, none of my other discs do that.

Amazing finish to the world championship!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Just counted my score cards and I've played about 50 rounds so far this year at 6 courses. One new course which was very good, Wrightsville Beach.

I'm all about the premium plastics, Champion / Z / VIP / Proton. They don't get dinged up like DX and are easy to keep clean. I added a couple new discs to my bag this year which really helped balance it out. Flipperi holds a right line when thrown flat and right hand backhand, none of my other discs do that.

Amazing finish to the world championship!
Damn dude! I've gotten in maybe 6 rounds at 2 courses, but one was the legendary Flip City.

Premium / Champion plastic for life. I'll destroy a DX disc in no time... If I hit a tree on my drive, DX plastic is doomed lol.

My go to drivers are champion sidewinder, valkrye, krait, and destroyer (US to OS). I've got a thrasher too that is decent for right lines RHBH. I bag a few others depending on course.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I still haven't tried it, but, it's super popular here. On the route I usually take to work, a guy has one of those chain basket targets in his yard and he's always out there practicing frisbee golf with his young boys, which is cool to see. I get the sense that his wife isn't overly enthused about the whole thing though. 😁

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I'm lucky... My wife had played disc for years before we met. She hurt her right arm playing wrong years ago (poor form) so I taught her proper form left handed (she's pretty ambidextrous). She's up to a good 150ft drive and we're working on her midrange game.

There's a sweet disc pro shop in my city, they have 2 or 3 baskets out front of the store and you can just practice putts. https://sweetspotdiscgolf.com/

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
this is something I wish I was interested in.... but I'm not. Seems like a nice healthy way to get outdoors.