Discord Chat Channel... for NG.com...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Lads and Lassies...

I am seriously considering taking out the Arrow chat room and implementing a Discord chat channel...

I'm gonna need opinions and advice... about howthis will work...

1. Can I disable people changing their usernames?
2. Can I check up on peoples email addresses to ensure they're members of our website?

etc etc etc...

xROTx

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What the hell is discord? lets have a return to the ole flash chat :D

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
What the hell is discord? lets have a return to the ole flash chat :D

Flash is too hard on the servers...

Discord works well as a chat room as I'm on 2 Discord channels...

The MAIN issue is that you cannot intergrate Discord chat into a forum.... but Discord has a great chat app for PC and mobile users....

xROTx

PS. MMhhhh.... let's think on this :)...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm not an admin on any channels, but I don't think you can disable username changes. However, the channel admin can force names to be reverted to default I think. I have no idea about #2.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I've created a new Discord server now...

MMHHHH... gonna play around with it for a bit... and see what happens...

xROTx

PS. Awaiting Mousey or VT to rip the old chat out and replace...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
DO IT!!! :D

edit: I have seen forum plugins that limit use of a forum's Discord to only registered members. VT, look into that plz

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
About damn time you upgrade to a real chat.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
And fix the links on the main page to go to new chat please ;)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
How many people has Rot banned in the discord so far?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Where is the link to the new discord chat?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The link will be in place as soon as I can get VT or Mousey to rip out the old chat...

This chat should be in place for the forseeable future...

I am tired and ill.... so I aint in any great rush for this...

xROTx

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
You can disable users being able to change their nick.
An admin can change a user's nick.

striderpunk

Member # 6311,
So when's this happening? Old chat can die in a hot fire. Staffs plz inform. Kthxbai.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I've seen other game forums implement username signup with the same handle, from what I've seen though you can change your username between p2p/pm chat on Discord.

You could probably condense it to General Discussion / Market / Unrelated / War Room channels and it would be alright.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
I use discord all the time, id be alot more active in chat if it was there tbh, just my two cent.

Edit:
Also, for rots use as an admin.
Discord has many features admins would like, chat bots, public and private rooms (determined by roles), disabling certain features for people with in certain roles (like changing user names) etc.

The client is pretty diverse im in like 20 channels alot of them for competitive quake tournaments and stuff so i seen alot of crazy applications for rules, roles, and bot usage.

Plus I think a fair number of the community is probably on discord if they game enough. Making an account isnt difficult and theres also (non email registered aka guest accounts, that can be used)

Looking forward to the decision

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I use discord all the time, id be alot more active in chat if it was there tbh, just my two cent.

Edit:
Also, for rots use as an admin.
Discord has many features admins would like, chat bots, public and private rooms (determined by roles), disabling certain features for people with in certain roles (like changing user names) etc.

The client is pretty diverse im in like 20 channels alot of them for competitive quake tournaments and stuff so i seen alot of crazy applications for rules, roles, and bot usage.

Plus I think a fair number of the community is probably on discord if they game enough. Making an account isnt difficult and theres also (non email registered aka guest accounts, that can be used)

Looking forward to the decision

The decision is basically that we don’t know how to do it, so until someone steps up with knowledge, it probably won’t happen. And obviously whoever offers to help can’t be a newb or shitwanger, so that excludes most of the active community.