DIY security systems

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Weve had a whole slew of robberies in the neighborhood and I'm looking to install a diy security system. Does anyone have experience with any systems or have Reccomendations?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
You can pick up wi-fi CCTV cameras for cheap now... or even cheapass usb cameras that take micro SD cards...

xROTx

PS. Unsure how the law is in teh USA about filming outside your own property tho...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I had a PiSector kit, it was janky as fuck. It did work though, so I guess it was good for scaring off potential robbers. I switched to a service now, never going back.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I had a PiSector kit, it was janky as fuck. It did work though, so I guess it was good for scaring off potential robbers. I switched to a service now, never going back.

There are some great CCTV kits out there for reasonabe prices...

With a bit of research... you can link them to nearly any mobile device and view... get alerts... etc etc...

I picked one up for less than $100usd... with a 500gb CCTV unit and 2 cameras... (2 extra cameras only cost another $50usd...)

The only other expense was some longer wires and drilling a few holes...

xROTx

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
You can pick up wi-fi CCTV cameras for cheap now... or even cheapass usb cameras that take micro SD cards...

xROTx

PS. Unsure how the law is in teh USA about filming outside your own property tho...

I have that kind of set up with a webcam currently but I'm looking at something with an alarm as a deterrent.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I have that kind of set up with a webcam currently but I'm looking at something with an alarm as a deterrent.

Lulz... they be cheap as well:D

Seriously... get a full setup... they're pretty cheap:D

xROTx

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
A barking dog is the perfect DIY security system.
BB

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I use simplisafe for one of my locations . It's a little speedy to buy but running it is cheap and effective. You can always add more to it. Uses any cell network you want.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Good CCTV systems are still expensive. Sure you can get some webcams linked together with SD card storage, but that is quite outdated for home security.

Good meaning
-Good Resolution
-Good Mobile App
-Good Cloud Storage
-Good Wifi connectivity
-Good motion sensing
-Good night vision

For example, a NestCam is still $199 retail for a single camera. Software is not perfect, but this should be a baseline for Good and User friendly systems.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Good CCTV systems are still expensive. Sure you can get some webcams linked together with SD card storage, but that is quite outdated for home security.

Good meaning
-Good Resolution
-Good Mobile App
-Good Cloud Storage
-Good Wifi connectivity
-Good motion sensing
-Good night vision

For example, a NestCam is still $199 retail for a single camera. Software is not perfect, but this should be a baseline for Good and User friendly systems.

Costco has 1080p wired system with 1TB hard drive with wifi/mobile app connectivity for like 350 last time I was down there, came with 4 cams expandable to 8. I have no idea why those nest cameras charge that much. I have a 900TL analog bnc system I got on the cheap and I can quickly check 8 shots all around the house with very easy playback and motion event search capability from my phone. It's not as sharp as the 1080p but I can easily distinguish whose who in my neighborhood. I did throw a August door bell cam on to that is 1080p at the front entryway which just updated itself to motion detection and cloud storage of short videos from the motion. It's in beta now so not sure I'll keep that going if the cost is more then a few bucks a month but it's nice to have a clear audio feed to go with it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Last time I asked this, make sure you get POE(Power over Ethernet) makes it easier to hook up the cameras since it only needs one connection.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Woot.com is always running deals on CCTV systems with multiple cameras. I am thinking about getting one.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
IMO, it's a better idea to go with one of the security companies. Pay a monthly fee, get monitoring and they install and fix stuff if it breaks. Mine went off once because a neighborhood kid banged on the door too hard. Cops were there within 5 minutes :lolz: Sure, it was a false alarm but I don't see the point of a system unless it's monitored, and that service costs money. It's not like I'm going to race home from across town to wrangle burglars.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
IMO, it's a better idea to go with one of the security companies. Pay a monthly fee, get monitoring and they install and fix stuff if it breaks. Mine went off once because a neighborhood kid banged on the door too hard. Cops were there within 5 minutes :lolz: Sure, it was a false alarm but I don't see the point of a system unless it's monitored, and that service costs money. It's not like I'm going to race home from across town to wrangle burglars.

locks you into another contract or monthly fee.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Do NOT buy a Chinese system
Change all defaults passwords
Do NOT put it on the internet

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I've been researching this all day long and think I'm going to try an ismart home security setup. Door monitoring, motion sensors, alarm, phone updates/alerts and camera that records on a triggered event. Gonna set up some if this... rules and see how it goes.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I just stand near the door with a large, wooden mallet 24 hours a day

It's pretty cheap, except for the huge amounts of meth it requires

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
You mean like remote monitoring?

Yeh I don't get this, I don't mind having it on the cloud with proper encryption. That way if an event happens and the intruder destroys the camera (very likely) I will still have access to the clip.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I live in the south, we use shotguns.
Amen, brother. I didn't notice you were in NC. Where?

Yeh I don't get this, I don't mind having it on the cloud with proper encryption. That way if an event happens and the intruder destroys the camera (very likely) I will still have access to the clip.
I don't think he meant the cameras but rather the system itself. If it can be turned off remotely via the internet, it will be. It amazes me that people will get those systems that can remotely unlock their doors installed.

edit: The trick is to make your place a less attractive target than your neighbors'. That's where the dog like BB recommended comes in.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Shotguns only work when you are home.

It's actually quite illegal to have spring traps that shoot people. There are a few cases with precedence on this. I had a lengthy discussion with my lawyer friend on this.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Amen, brother. I didn't notice you were in NC. Where?

I don't think he meant the cameras but rather the system itself. If it can be turned off remotely via the internet, it will be. It amazes me that people will get those systems that can remotely unlock their doors installed.

edit: The trick is to make your place a less attractive target than your neighbors'. That's where the dog like BB recommended comes in.

I'm in Durham (hence the need for shotguns and security systems). The alarm system I ordered can be turned off by app but most of the thieves around here aren't on that level, were talking about borderline retards.