Do you work your ass off?

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
i never liked my job to begin with but that doesn't mean i'm gonna do it really shitty.

Marek

Banned
Yes. I do. I currently work 14 hr days so I can have three day weekend. I'm on my feet the entire time and sit for less than five minutes a day

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I did last year, but this year has been slower. I was in hotels over 75 nights of the year. That's a lot of business travel.
The interesting thing is I don't feel like I bust my ass off, but I'm clearly doing more work than my colleagues. I'm a hard worker, but only when you compare me to the laziness of my coworkers.

I work very hard physically, and enjoy the workout I get at work. My job is also super stress free, my only responsibility is to show up and put in that same labor every day. My boss tells me I am the hardest working employee he has had in 30 years, I run circles around kids half my age.

I used to work in retail management, it was soul crushing and I sat on my ass all day, had tons of responsibilities.

Im much happier busting my ass to the point of exhaustion every day, but it cant last forever, this company keeps trying hard to move me up, I keep holding out. Money isnt everything but eventually I will cave and take another position.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Not really. There are times where I work 12-14 hour days, but it isn't the norm. Overall I have a pretty cushy gig. When I think of people who work their asses off, I think of 10-12 hour days being the norm for someone who works in an office, or just anyone whose job involves a lot of physical labor or working out in shitty weather. For me to ever claim that I "work my ass off" would be an insult to people who actually do.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yes I do.
I always do the job as best I can and never half ass any of my work.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Not really. There are times where I work 12-14 hour days, but it isn't the norm. Overall I have a pretty cushy gig. When I think of people who work their asses off, I think of 10-12 hour days being the norm for someone who works in an office, or just anyone whose job involves a lot of physical labor or working out in shitty weather. For me to ever claim that I "work my ass off" would be an insult to people who actually do.

You know, I've never met anyone that works like that. It's almost like the "Cheap, right, fast...pick two" thing. I've worked many jobs in my life, and all were difficult in different ways.

I've worked production level at a factory. Shit pay but constant pay, 8-4 every day, sometimes 7 days a week. Boring work, not physically hard, just constant. Very low stress, when you clocked out, the job stops 100%. There was zip that goes home with you.

I've worked as a commercial electrician. Good pay, 7-3:30 M-F, but not always employed. Hard work but comes in waves, sometimes the work is easy. As you climb the ladder, so does the stress. When you begin running projects it starts going home with you. large level project management is high stress.

I've worked as an engineer/project manager. Good pay, 6:45-4:30 (or later) M-F, always employed. Physically speaking, a total joke, I sit on my ass all day. Projects come in waves and the stress is extremely high. All you do is take work with you, it consumes your thoughts at times and is impossible to turn off.

No matter what I've do...there's stress. Factory was the stress of shit pay. Field was the stress of layoff threats looming all of the time (and not getting any paid time off). Office stress is 100% in you mind and my not being able to shut it off.

All are totally different work wise...but none have been any "worse" that another...they're just different.

The worst job I've had was easily top level field electrician...you seem to get the worst of everything. Sometimes the physical work is horrid, you work in the elements, you have to manage others, you take stress home with you and you don't get much in return.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I moderate it. I don't enjoy exactly what I do as I had a long screwedup delayed road to the promotion I recently got to analyst. The problem is the dicked with how they were to do analyst and it was more of a title/pay raise but with the same duties I kind of wanted to distance myself from which was annoying as I'm bored with what I do more often than not. My department also to a point will reward doing more/better work, like the bump I got, but even more so they will punish someone for busting their ass by lumping a larger more unfair stack of work on the individual because they know they can squeeze it out of them despite the hours (or added now that I'm salary) that it may involve. I learned that years back, ended up slowly cutting back what I could pull off in an hour or day to a level still on the high end over others, but not enough to get fed up, pissed and burned out. I'll crack down if there's a deadline or a necessity, but otherwise I take it pretty casually getting a decent slower pace done that keeps everyone happy. There is no benefit in my role to blow things out because it'll end up with notably over 40 hour week with no bonus, pay raise, or benefit for the effort so why bother?

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
At my old job as a purchasing manager when there was nothing to do I surfed internet message boards all day.

Now, yes I work my ass off. WHen there is nothing to do, I look for things to do. Shit pay, but I'm set up so that I can work min. wage and pretty much cover all my bills. People think working as a cashier is teenager work, but to do a good job causes stress, especially in a grocery store where the flow of customers is non-stop. You're basically working an assembly line + providing customer service and working with people all day. As an Introvert, this drains the fuck out of my and I get anxiety, headaches, and paranoia. The weekdays is a little easier. Thank God not all I do there is cashier as I am also in pricing, which is significantly less stressful. The problem with pricing is that there is less work to do, and you end up working in other areas. I work 5 hour shifts in it and only have 2 hours worth of work.

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Mentally, yes. Physically, rarely and only in short bursts. I get compensated well for the added mental stressors and timeline sensitive pieces - so I've agreed to that trade-off and am happy with it. My greatest compensation being other than always being on-call, I essentially set my own schedule. I get emergency call stuff maybe 20-25 times a year, and probably 3/4 of those are handled over the phone and resolved in less than an hour.

tl;dr - sorta maybe but not really

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Euros get like 3 months of vacation right off the start, are they dq'd from this thread?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Euros get like 3 months of vacation right off the start, are they dq'd from this thread?

I get 25 days, and then 9 optional bank holidays I can work, or add to my holidays, depending on what I want to do with them.

My job is low stress, sat at a desk, doing not much. I often watch movies on my phone, or go out and play Pokemon go. Very easy number. And I can definitely see myself staying there. Thinking about signing up for the pension scheme there and hooking up for the long haul.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I am German, got to live up to the stereotype...

Ah yes, die deutsche gründlichkeit.

For myself, i'm quite a hard worker but i always put quality up before speed. This helps when you're working for the government but it's not appreciated in the private sector.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
10 weeks a year (8 of which are in the summer) it's non-stop high intensity, both physically and mentally. Then I get a month off (unpaid vacation) where I basically catch up on sleep.

During the school season I don't work enough hours, but I enjoy it and look forward to showing up every day.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As always, In the US, paid time off is hard to get.

From 2001 until 2013, I didn't get a single day of paid time off and thus didn't take a single "vacation" during that time. During that period I got 7 holidays a year, unpaid.

After taking an office spot...I get a whopping week off paid. 16 years of service, 1 week paid vacation. At least I now get my holidays off paid.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

From 2001 until 2013, I didn't get a single day of paid time off and thus didn't take a single "vacation" during that time. During that period I got 7 holidays a year, unpaid.

After taking an office spot...I get a whopping week off paid. 16 years of service, 1 week paid vacation. At least I now get my holidays off paid.

I get all the major holidays off paid plus black Friday. I get three weeks vacation, 18 sick days, and 3 personal a year. The sick days roll over and I can roll over 2 years plus the current year of vacation. We also negotiated into our contract that we get an earned personal day for every 4 months that we don't use a sick day. All the unused time gets paid out at $50 a day when I leave/retire too. I certainly don't get paid what I should make, but the benefits more then make up for it.

Sounds like you need to look around for a new gig dude. 16 years is alot of good years to give a company to only be shit on in return.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

If an employer treated a full time employee like that here the story would genuinely be in the national newspapers.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If an employer treated a full time employee like that here the story would genuinely be in the national newspapers.

Yeah, no kidding.

@smokehouse - unless they pay you an obscene amount of money or some other kind of compensation, you are an idiot for being there that long.

sounds like a shit gig with a company that doesn't give a fuck about you.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
i'm in banking so its stressful and can be complicated however i'm in an air conditioned building with a very comfortable chair have access to snacks have breaks and a lunch and usually just work an 8 hour day 5 days a week so not bad

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Doing game repairs and the sheer upkeep on keeping said equipment working and looking nice, not to mention I also do the coin pulls and figures...I'd say I definitely work my ass off. And I really don't mind doing such since this is a job I like and been doing close to 38 years now. The only time I DON'T like working my ass off is when I picking up the slack for someone else who can't do the job right, not at all or makes things harder for me when they try to fix something they had no understanding on how to do so.