Does anyone actually buy this crap??? VGA graded games

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Seriously, who the hell are these for??? It's the silliest/stupidest/fucking retardiest thing I've seen related to this god forsaken hobby.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If I was a filthy rich man I'd buy every one that I saw on eBay just to open them, unseal the game, then sell it back to somebody who would play it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If I was a filthy rich man I'd buy every one that I saw on eBay just to open them, unseal the game, then sell it back to somebody who would play it.

You, sir, are a saint among men.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I agree with the OP, but part of me can't help but think that back when stamp or baseball cards or comics started getting graded & collected, people in those hobbies said the exact same thing.

Comics are meant to be read!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
VGA grading in the realm of games is nothing short of a travesty. Games are made to be played not encased, never to be opened again. Yes, yes you have a pristine copy of a game that will never be used, collecting dust like the rest of em. Anyone who is doing this is either
A)doing it for a possible future investment or
B)doing it for the shelf decour/Youtube channel

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'm sure there are people here that do it.

The only grading that I can understand are cards, as you get exactly what it is even when it's encased.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm sure there are people here that do it.

The only grading that I can understand are cards, as you get exactly what it is even when it's encased.

Yup, grading is for coins and baseball cards, not cardboard boxes with shit inside them. Let the shit be free!

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Just had this conversation the other night with a buddy of mine. He asked if I saw the copy of Nexzr VGA graded for $3k on ebay, I said I hadn't and he pulled it up. We had a look at his other auctions including a Lords of Thunder graded copy for $5k, pure insanity. It was discussed that since there are such limited copies, especially of Japanese retro games being graded like this you can pretty much ask whatever you want, someone buying it on the other hand is another story.

I brought up comics as another item I didn't understand being graded as they will never again be read or have their art admired. Sports cards and stamps I don't have a problem with, you can see both sides of them and they serve no function other than being looked at, actual postage on the stamps aside. I do shrug when I see vintage Magic cards graded, I know some of the vintage stuff is worth some serious coin but once graded it can't be played and to me making a proxy and having a stack of original rares on ice just isn't as appealing.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Ugghh all I have to say is the gaming is boiling over with fucking morons. That is it. I don't even question the shit anymore.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ugghh all I have to say is the gaming is boiling over with fucking morons. That is it. I don't even question the shit anymore.

The fools that purchase the graded copies most likely can't 'game' either. So there only entry into the community is to own the game. They don't play games because they can't.

Pathetic.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'd consider getting a game graded with the intention of throwing it on eBay & selling it.. But I wouldn't actually purchase one.

If I had the resources I'd probably start with graded comics. If I ran out of graded comics to buy and not read then I might move on to games that I wouldn't play.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

I'd buy a rare, sealed, VGA graded game and make a video of me breaking the plastic case open, destroying the original shrink wrap, ripping the box open, and do some mad insertion marks on those contacts.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'd buy a rare, sealed, VGA graded game and make a video of me breaking the plastic case open, destroying the original shrink wrap, ripping the box open, and do some mad insertion marks on those contacts.

Neo Geo Freak style!

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I was thinking of buying a ton if brand new shaq fu games send them off to be graded and give them as gifts to people lol. Also same for E.T. Game.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I agree with the OP, but part of me can't help but think that back when stamp or baseball cards or comics started getting graded & collected, people in those hobbies said the exact same thing.

It's different with comics, as you can get something out of just looking at the cover (for the old golden/silver age ones, especially). Video games are only really useful to play them.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's different with comics, as you can get something out of just looking at the cover (for the old golden/silver age ones, especially). Video games are only really useful to play them.

Because video game box art is invisible. Oh and there's nothing between the covers of a comic book.

Both stupidly nonsensical statements, but valid in the context, yes?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Because video game box art is invisible. Oh and there's nothing between the covers of a comic book.

Both stupidly nonsensical statements, but valid in the context, yes?
Context is very important to a lot of the things I say.
Game box art is generally not classic, in the way that comic book cover art from the golden/silver age is often classic.
Video games are generally designed so that they are fun to play. The cover art was probably an afterthought, a lot of the time.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
Context is very important to a lot of the things I say.
Game box art is generally not classic, in the way that comic book cover art from the golden/silver age is often classic.
Video games are generally designed so that they are fun to play. The cover art was probably an afterthought, a lot of the time.

While typing that you had to feel that's a ridiculous argument. LOL

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Lol Mikey. Pretty much what I was thinking.

Joe: context or not, you're still generalizing in a horrible way. Granted, I am in NO way in the VGA'ers camp (ugh), but you can't just automatically discount their entire reason for doing it. If the box art was such a throwaway component to everyone else as well, VGA wouldn't exist in its current form.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,

Well this one is sheer insanity,GAME ART CAN BE JUST AS ICONIC AS A GOLDEN AGE COMIC. I would argue that you can get just as much, if not MORE from a game box than a fucking comic book cover. The collector might jerk off to it differently, but it's on the same plane. Game box has advantage, usually with screen shots and a description of the game on the back of the box.

The only time I'll get behind VGA grading on anything is if you're taking it to NA to roll on some folks.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Well this one is sheer insanity,GAME ART CAN BE JUST AS ICONIC AS A GOLDEN AGE COMIC. I would argue that you can get just as much, if not MORE from a game box than a fucking comic book cover. The collector might jerk off to it differently, but it's on the same plane. Game box has advantage, usually with screen shots and a description of the game on the back of the box.
"classic" is not necessarily the same thing as "iconic". "iconic" can mean that something is famous and classic. For example, movie posters are more likely to be iconic than comic book cover art, as they are seen by more of the public (i.e., they are more of a mainstream thing).
can you give me some examples of iconic game cover art? it might be iconic within the gaming community, but not iconic in general society.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
"classic" is not necessarily the same thing as "iconic". "iconic" can mean that something is famous and classic. For example, movie posters are more likely to be iconic than comic book cover art, as they are seen by more of the public (i.e., they are more of a mainstream thing).
can you give me some examples of iconic game cover art?

I'm not getting into semantics dude, your argument is poppycock.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member

This guy breaks one open, or at least tries to:

I hate VGA grading nearly as much as I hate Scientology.