Does anyone here still system-link XBOX, XBOX360?

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I´m not sure if this is the right forum (if not, I apologize) but I´m not really talking about specific shooters or games in particular, but the exprience.

I´ve had a 3-TV system link setup (2 xbox, 1 360) up until a week ago when I added another XBOX for a 4th TV set.

It´s mainly for Halo 2, but we sometimes include MotoGP, Mechassault and Timesplitters 3.

For a while now we´ve been playing 6 people CTF on Halo 2 and what sucked was the fact the one TV set split up a team. We also added 2 more friends who´ve become adept at Halo and realized the a 4th TV set would make for 8 way gaming.

Last week I found an XBOX cheap and jumped at it.

This past Thursday we tried it out and for the first time since Halo 1 debuted, we played 8 player system link. Nirvana set in moments later.

I wish I had the money for 3 other 360s to play newer titles but we still have a blast with system link on the older box and 8 player mayhem, with everyone under one roof, is still an awesome experience.

In my opinion, system link tops online play for sheer fun.

Online, you get to compete against the best of the best but system link lets you rub that melee kill right in his face.

Anyone here system link?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I remember dragging the XBox to someone's house so we could play 6-player Halo 2 once. It was a blast, a real special occasion. I'm sure it's not as special if you play that way often though.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I remember dragging the XBox to someone's house so we could play 6-player Halo 2 once. It was a blast, a real special occasion. I'm sure it's not as special if you play that way often though.

We get together once or twice a week at my house to play games, though not always Halo 2 or even system link. We also compete in Winning Eleven 8 for the box as well.

Since a week ago, I have a 4 TV system link setup ready to go whenever the situation calls for it and if playing on 3 TV sets was any indication, it hasn't become less special one bit.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
We actually tried 2 weeks ago with COD4. We tried to get 8 players going local but apparently with sys-link you can only do 1 vs 1.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
First off, good to see you 'round these parts again Arg.

I'm pretty sure we used to wax about this back in the day, but I used to LOOOOOOVE system link matches on the OG XBox. I mean...getting two or three boxes hooked up in separate rooms in the house, rockin' some Halo 1...it was fucking ace and a great time. No bullshit lag, no fucking 12-year old Lil Wayne wannabes on the mic...it was awesome.

I've never cared for Live much after that kind of joy...just the way it's been for me.

Fuck...I'm actually thinking about trying to get something going now.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
First off, good to see you 'round these parts again Arg.

I'm pretty sure we used to wax about this back in the day, but I used to LOOOOOOVE system link matches on the OG XBox. I mean...getting two or three boxes hooked up in separate rooms in the house, rockin' some Halo 1...it was fucking ace and a great time. No bullshit lag, no fucking 12-year old Lil Wayne wannabes on the mic...it was awesome.

I've never cared for Live much after that kind of joy...just the way it's been for me.

Fuck...I'm actually thinking about trying to get something going now.

Good to see you too, Loopz.

To me, it's just a different experience and much more satisfying playing in a LAN.

CTF FTW!

Rade K

20 Year Member
I'm sorry, but:

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php
image.php

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Basically the only games which support splitscreen/LAN at the same time are Halo, which gets boring real fast. I usually try every time a new game comes out that lets you do it, but I can't even remember the last one that did. Gears of War 2, I think, but the multiplayer sucks ass and Horde mode only supports 5 players.

In a time long gone, however, 8-player CTF TimeSplitters 2 was INCREDIBLE. Multitaps and controller wires everywhere. Yelling. Music: always Nightclub.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Yeah, my friends and I would still do Halo 3 LAN parties.

Good times indeed.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, me and some old high school buddies will play halo a couple times a year. Don't have a 360, so don't know what games work for that though.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yeah, my friends and I would still do Halo 3 LAN parties.

Good times indeed.
Oh, you had to use the LP word. Now only nerds are going to show up. We had a girl at ours!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oh, you had to use the LP word. Now only nerds are going to show up. We had a girl at ours!

My friends wife [who is also my friend] would be at the lan parties, does that count?

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
how many xboxes does halo (2, 3) support in system link?

if its only 4. meh. split screen is the worst. id rather have a pc lan party, which is way easier than it used to be 5-10 years ago. now everyone has a laptop or at least an lcd monitor. no more crts to lug around.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Oddly enough I've only ever done Halo 2/3 lan with 4 xboxes.

I would assume it supports 16?

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Yes, Halo 1 or 2 supports up to 4 xbox systems. Thing is, we only play up to 8 players so split screen isn´t an issue. More than 2 per screen and yes, it does suck.

PC LAN parties would be ace, assuming everyone has their own laptop and powerful enough to run whatever game they chose to play.

I once did 10 player Return To Castle Wolfenstein at a friend's basement. Awesome experience but having to come up with 10 TV sets is impractical to do it often.

BTW, I still use a CRT monitor :(

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Yes, Halo 1 or 2 supports up to 4 xbox systems. Thing is, we only play up to 8 players so split screen isn´t an issue. More than 2 per screen and yes, it does suck.

PC LAN parties would be ace, assuming everyone has their own laptop and powerful enough to run whatever game they chose to play.

I once did 10 player Return To Castle Wolfenstein at a friend's basement. Awesome experience but having to come up with 10 TV sets is impractical to do it often.

BTW, I still use a CRT monitor :(

I've got a gigantic CRT to use as my main monitor, and a cheapo 24" LCD that I bring to LAN parties (it takes DVI, VGA, or HDMI - great for PC or either console).