Does changing location change your life?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've been thinking about moving for a good while now. I don't hate where I live, it's a nice enough area, nothing bad has happened, I'm just a bit bored.

I'm not talking a new house up the road, I'm talking a big move to somewhere new that we won't know anyone (yes, the family will be coming with).

Will this just be same shit, different place? It would still be within the UK but I would like to live by the sea at some point. The missus doesn't seem to hate the idea.

What is your experience of moving somewhere completely new? Could it change my perfectly adequate but sedate life?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
On its own? No, but if you use the opportunity to do things differently than you were previously doing, it definitely can play into it. It was exactly what I needed a few years ago, so I hope it works out for you if you decide to go through with it!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
There is some stuff about how in France, children who were diagnosed with ADD (now ADHD, soon ADHDQ I imagine, for kids that can’t focus on conspiracy theories or were vaccinated), so the kids were prescribed a change of school, or to have their room moved to a different room in the house. Something about these changes worked well.

but in the US, we derided this method because big pharma.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Harder to make friends. But when you have a family who wants friends anyway.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
It really depends on where you go, and if that place is different enough from where you are currently. If you move from a place where beans on toast is breakfast to another place where beans on toast is breakfast, it’s probably gonna be about the same, innit?

I admittedly don’t know anything about the UK though. If it makes sense and the fam is on board, why not?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I moved about a thousand miles to Wichita, Kansas in 1999. It changed my life because the only attractive women were Mexican and Japanese immigrants. The majority of the caucasian women were big boned farm chicks and using the ten scale 4-6s in Michigan were considered 9 and 10s there. I was shocked. You know when you'd watch shows like Family Feud and think why the hell did he/she marry their very unattractive spouse? That's the shit id see there. All the gays looking for a partner should go there to find someone.

One of my coworkers that everyone but me drooled over had a huge Frankenstein-like forehead and wanted to move to California which I still laugh about. It wasn't like she was ugly with a hot body. She was ugly from huge forehead to toe. I off course urged her to move since I'm a dick.

I still tell people how ugly Wichita women are...I just told all of you, lol.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It really depends on where you go, and if that place is different enough from where you are currently. If you move from a place where beans on toast is breakfast to another place where beans on toast is breakfast, it’s probably gonna be about the same, innit?

I admittedly don’t know anything about the UK though. If it makes sense and the fam is on board, why not?
I never thought of beans on toast until I saw it on a menu in England, I liked it. However, I passed on a slice of pizza with chips (french fries for the ignorant) in Scotland. They have everything with chips.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wyo's a britfag who emigrated to the greatest country in the universe. Shame he's not spilling how he felt about that, the good the bad and the ugly of it. I'm interested in hearing.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
As a kid we moved 5 times, 3 of those times were to totally different areas and overall I went to 5 different schools. I don't think it was necessarily life changing for my parents but as a kid it wrecked my sense of belonging to any one area, group of friends etc. I don't know how old your kids are Steven but it's worth thinking about at least if they're young.

In my adult life I've been all over the place and honestly it didn't change much of anything, if anything it was a good experience. +1 for a sea change and a better lifestyle.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As a kid we moved 5 times, 3 of those times were to totally different areas and overall I went to 5 different schools. I don't think it was necessarily life changing for my parents but as a kid it wrecked my sense of belonging to any one area, group of friends etc. I don't know how old your kids are Steven but it's worth thinking about at least if they're young.

In my adult life I've been all over the place and honestly it didn't change much of anything, if anything it was a good experience. +1 for a sea change and a better lifestyle.

Same here. By the time I was in third grade, we had moved at least 10 times and lived in three different states (Illinois, Arizona, Indiana). Some of those moves were mid-school year, so it messed up my grades to the point where I was held back and had to repeat second grade twice. I didn't wear that well. Like you, it took me some time to ever feel rooted.

On topic, yes, it can, but it requires 100% honesty on your part, and truth be told, most people cannot accomplish that.

The entire rule of "wherever you go, there you are" completely applies. If the problem is you, it doesn't matter where you go, the problem will always remain. If the problem is honestly your environment then yes, you can change locations and have a fresh start.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Smokes, do you feel that the instability put you in a shell, where video games offered stability and escape?

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I’ve moved long distances before and it helped me greatly career-wise. I simply cannot imagine moving because I’m bored. For one thing, I’m never bored. Secondly I HATE moving and any sane person would. Unless you are rich as hell with a huge staff, or so poor you can wear your belongings, moving is one of the shittiest tasks one can engage in. If you own own your place and are buying a new one it’s 100 times worse. Paperwork for MONTHS.

In short, I think you are crazy and for the sake of your family I’d give up on the idea.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been thinking about moving for a good while now. I don't hate where I live, it's a nice enough area, nothing bad has happened, I'm just a bit bored.

I'm not talking a new house up the road, I'm talking a big move to somewhere new that we won't know anyone (yes, the family will be coming with).

Will this just be same shit, different place? It would still be within the UK but I would like to live by the sea at some point. The missus doesn't seem to hate the idea.

What is your experience of moving somewhere completely new? Could it change my perfectly adequate but sedate life?

I haven't moved in 20 years, but I had a good friend leave for career reasons. He says the job market is just better where he is at now, so I think it's worked out.

Personally, my friends keep me from leaving. I don't think I would make new friends if I moved. That takes effort... I think it's easier for people where their family is 99.9% of their life. Everything comes with you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smokes, do you feel that the instability put you in a shell, where video games offered stability and escape?
Video games (basically, the NES) offered a "friend" that was always there...so yes, to answer your question, it did offer an escape. They still do, on occasion.

I think holding a kid back in school has probably never, ever, worked in the child’s favor.
I was extremely embarrassed about it for years. I'm pretty sure that now, things would have been handled differently.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Video games (basically, the NES) offered a "friend" that was always there...so yes, to answer your question, it did offer an escape. They still do, on occasion.

I was extremely embarrassed about it for years. I'm pretty sure that now, things would have been handled differently.
I was held back for first grade and it took about 25 years to get over it. Same deal, moving back and forth a lot, 5 schools for first grade, too many absences to qualify to go to 2nd grade.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was held back for first grade and it took about 25 years to get over it. Same deal, moving back and forth a lot, 5 schools for first grade, too many absences to qualify to go to 2nd grade.
Looking back at it through the eyes of an adult, it wasn't a big deal...honestly, I went from being young for my grade to old. I was able to get my driver's license nearly a year before many of my classmates, which was pretty cool. In the end, it didn't make much of a difference.

Sadly, at the time, I wore it in shame and didn't want most people to know about it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
In my 20's I moved to Des Moines, IA for a year for work, and I really treated it like a fresh start for new opportunities, but it ended up as dull as it sounds.

Then I moved to Seoul, Korea and most of the people I hung out with were treating it like extended college, so there were lots of opportunities for drinking and socializing, and I had fun. It was exactly what I needed to get out of a quarter life crisis at the time. It became more serious than just partying, because I ended up staying a while.

So my point is, it really depends on the place, the circumstances, and what you're looking for. Since I'm middle aged now, I would guess most places I would go would be more or less the same suburban family shit. And moving is a pain in the ass. So if you're comfortable where you are, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. No matter what, moving to a new place is obviously a risk.