Does MSX MVS has non holo label ?

I got a non matching "Excellent Condition" MSX MVS kit from neotropolis (The price was high but I have a few ebay giftcards since last year so I got it anyway). Here are a few things that make me think the item didn't come originally from SNK.

1) The cart is Solid Blue (like bust a move again). I don't think there is a Solid Blue color (pic below)

2) The label is non holo (pic below)

3) The label got taped to the cart via double sided tape (pic below)

My speculation is I think what they took a label from a MSX box then applied it on a good condition cart with MSX boards inside using double sided tape trying to make it as complete and good condition as possible to increase profit. Any suggestion or information would be greatly appreciated.

I also included a pic of another MSX that has holo label next to the one I got from neotropolis for comparison

2016-04-10_132459.jpg

2016-04-10_132513.jpg

2016-04-10_132541.jpg

2016-04-10_132618.jpg

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Is that a fold mark on the right side of the label (between the number 1 and 5 of the serials)?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Good catch!!!!!
double side tape...........hmmm

I'd rather stay away from neotropolis......

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Never seen a blue shell or a non-holo label for MSX before.

I usually see a Black cart w/ JPN label.

s-l300.jpg

Or, I usually see Trans. Blue, Trans. Green, or Tans. Gray (Smoke) shells w/ Eng. holo label.

l_msxloose_large.jpg

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Never seen a blue shell or a non-holo label for MSX before.

+1. I'd agree w/the OP's assessment of what happened, though I'm not sure it would really increase the value much by using a kit box label. It's definitely a Frankenstein cart.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I've had carts with legit holo labels that had a similar crease in the middle ("fold mark") and were banged up like hell, so I don't believe anyone replaced them... don't ask me how it happens but it seems it just does occur sometimes.

The double sided tape however...

67797976.jpg

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Got a JP cart I picked up that has the JP label still in great condition, but came in a transparent green case. Still has the serial as well. I've seen a few on YAJ so didn't have any worries about it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd probably say your assessment is correct, it was probably a reshell with a transferred label.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I looked at a few holo label mvs kits I have and the kit box label is paper. That's definitely a label transplant. I'd send it back and get a refund for it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'd normally say just keep it and play it as long as it's legit, but I know you probably payed a fortune for a relatively common game that is a frankenstein cart.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'd normally say just keep it and play it as long as it's legit, but I know you probably payed a fortune for a relatively common game that is a frankenstein cart.

Buying a cart with a repro label that is stated as such is one thing, but the label transplant is clearly intent to deceive.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I have a transparent green english MSX cartridge, and it's not holographic. Serials are scratched out. It's in great shape and the boards inside are definitely legit.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza

He did mention the price was a lot, but he went through with it because he had some GCs. I'd be pissed if I were him. It's like the stupid fuck on ebay right now selling MS5 loosies stating that they work 100%, but no mention that they are boots (and they know they are boots).

He did mention the price was a lot, but he went through with it because he had some GCs. I'd be pissed if I were him. It's like the stupid fuck on ebay right now selling MS5 loosies stating that they work 100%, but no mention that they are boots (and they know they are boots).

I did pay more than I should because I was worry the GCs gonna get lost as I they used to so I pulled the trigger. I should have bought something else.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Honestly I have never heard or seen people doing box to cart label transplants, but half my carts have demolished labels as I like cheaper carts plus I shove them in shock boxes anyways. Checked mine for giggles, both have a holo label. One is transparent blue, and a spare one I have in the trade pile is transparent green.
c35fd937f15f3b896364d19ef482d583.jpg

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Verdict is in. Seller and buyer are both fagets.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Was the OP able to get a refund? Did the dispute go through?