Does R-Type Leo's shot change based on button hold duration?

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
This website says "the longer you hold down fire, the stronger the shot." I can't get that to work and I don't think it's correct.

Reason I ask is it looks like with Leo I can use the Mister's autofire feature. Something my old, carpal tunneled, hands need.

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
There are some differences between the world and japanese (alternatives folder) version of the game.

World : 2 buttons, continues immediately (when killed)
Japan : 1 button, continues at certain points

So, charging refers to the japanese version and is not ideal for autofire. 🕹️

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Wow this article is amazing.

I like Leo since it's not too difficult making it a more fun casual playthrough, it has great graphics and some neat mechanics like the alarms, falling ledges, etc.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Wow this article is amazing.

I like Leo since it's not too difficult making it a more fun casual playthrough, it has great graphics and some neat mechanics like the alarms, falling ledges, etc.
I feel like it's plenty difficult on normal dips. Stage 3 it really starts picking up, Stage 4 boss is straight up bullshit, and Stage 5 is brutal.
I'm sure with memorization some of that can be overcome but I don't really find it easy.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Maybe the dips are not at the defaults on the mister? I roughly feel like it's about as difficult as gate of thunder. Similar overall feel to GoT too.

I'm not saying it's easy, just easy for an arcade shooter and especially easy for an r-type. But I've also not 1cc'd it so might just be talking out my ass

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
nah I mean you could just be good at it. Gate is def more easy to me, but yeah the mister defaults are normal difficulty.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
while we're at it:
i wonder how they got away with this
A handful years ago. that PCB popped up a few times in eBay.

I was tempted to buy it, but then I thankfuly re-watched the video with sound... Damn Allumer and their sound departments... They really skipped the budged on sound with those annoying 3 bar loops... ªfacepalmª

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Coincidently, Rezon got released on switch/psn as of a few weeks ago.

I think Rezon would play better with a second button to lock the arms in place. Holding fire will lock the arms in place, but you need to tap fire to shoot, so it feels incredibly awkward to position the arms and keep shooting.

I actually saw a Rezon cab in the 90s in an arcade in France, near Perpignan back in the day. It took me a long while to remember the name.

The game was incredibly difficult. I remember the player ship always moving too fast.