Doom 4 rumored to be indefintely postponed

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
http://kotaku.com/5851953/doom-4-indefinitely-postponed-following-rages-disappointing-launch

A source claiming to be close to the publishers of the recently-launched RAGE has told Kotaku that, at a recent "company wide" meeting held in Dallas, Bethesda and parent company Zenimax made the decision to "indefinitely postpone" development of Doom 4.

Despite having been first announced back in 2008, Doom 4 has been on the backburner at developers id while work was completed on multiplatform shooter RAGE, which was released earlier this month to decidedly mixed reviews. While Crecente enjoyed it (and I'm digging it as well), the game's repetitive nature and numerous technical issues left it falling well short of many people's expectations.

The apparent source says that Zenimax and Bethesda made the decision based on the "the issues and reviews" surrounding RAGE's launch, which in their eyes has demonstrated "a serious lack of confidence in the project management at id".

As a long time Doom fan, I hope this isn't true.
:(

UPDATE: Bethesda's Pete Hines has denied the rumor, stating that no title has been postponed, "indefinitely or otherwise."

THANK GOD.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Idiots. They should have given us Doom 4 instead of RAGE in the first place.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Yes. I haven't played Rage so I cannot judge it, but if it were DOOM4 I'd be owning it and playing it.

Doom 3 was great. I don't care what the haters say. I loved the 'hell' levels and old school death match mode. I think it's the last FPS besides UT3 that I really played the hell out of.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Shame.

In general, Id has been on a downward spiral for a long time :/

Normdog

Kula's Diamond
10 Year Member
That sucks. Hopefully something can happen to get Doom 4 developed and released eventually.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I want a doom game with no flashlight and no jumping.

IDCHAPPY

The Mad Jock.
Yes. I haven't played Rage so I cannot judge it, but if it were DOOM4 I'd be owning it and playing it.

Doom 3 was great. I don't care what the haters say. I loved the 'hell' levels and old school death match mode. I think it's the last FPS besides UT3 that I really played the hell out of.

Same here, i loved it \o/

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

I loved it too. It was a great old school shooter -- balls out, blast everything you see, fight some goddamn cyber demons. It's nice to play games like that after too much COD and Halo nonsense.

I feel the same way about Rage, actually.... That was a solid game. Never mind the haters.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yeah, never got the Doom 3 hate... I loved it enough to play through at least 5 times to date. Doom never gets old for me.

Eric

Fight On!,
what about Half Life 3 guys

Too busy releasing TF2 hats. Either that or they'll claim someone stole their source code so they can delay for another 5 years.

I didn't even know Doom 4 was announced in the first place. What have they been doing there at id to keep themselves afloat? They release Doom 3 8 years ago and then nothing until Rage. Are they going Duke Nukem Forever teams style and rebuilding their engines every few years? Are we that much closer to them releasing a new Doom on the Unreal engine?

HeartlessNinny

Too busy releasing TF2 hats. Either that or they'll claim someone stole their source code so they can delay for another 5 years.

I didn't even know Doom 4 was announced in the first place. What have they been doing there at id to keep themselves afloat? They release Doom 3 8 years ago and then nothing until Rage. Are they going Duke Nukem Forever teams style and rebuilding their engines every few years? Are we that much closer to them releasing a new Doom on the Unreal engine?

Well, that's a bit unfair. Someone really did steal the code to HL2.

And Rage uses the new engine they've been working on. Supposedly they can improve it further though, so there'll be less texture pop-in. If that's true, then Doom 4 is going to be pretty jaw dropping, when it eventually arrives. I'd expect it in a year or two, myself.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
such a weird time for games, even the average games that tank and the bargain bin fodder games took hundreds and hundreds of people thousands of hours of work to complete. Rage looks so amazing to me from a artistic and technical standpoint and yet it's just another generic FPS in the end. It's kind of sad to me that it takes such a ridiculous amount of work just to make something entry level nowadays.

I guess this is kinda off topic, this is just what I think when I see a game like rage fail, definitely makes me worry for the future of games.

HeartlessNinny

such a weird time for games, even the average games that tank and the bargain bin fodder games took hundreds and hundreds of people thousands of hours of work to complete. Rage looks so amazing to me from a artistic and technical standpoint and yet it's just another generic FPS in the end. It's kind of sad to me that it takes such a ridiculous amount of work just to make something entry level nowadays.

I guess this is kinda off topic, this is just what I think when I see a game like rage fail, definitely makes me worry for the future of games.

You know what, this is one of the best posts I've read in a while. You're bang on, man. It's almost like we've been spoiled rotten.

I said in the Rage thread that it's a solid 8/10 game, and I stand by that. But somehow that equals 'meh'. Man, what's wrong with this picture?

I think the only saving grace is that games are more mainstream now, and more of the buying public is spending their hard earned dollars on them. Still, it paints a worrying picture as games get more and more expensive to make. Makes me think we're in a sort of golden age right now, and not enough people appreciate it.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The whole pricing model is fucked, for one. To bring up DNF again, it released four months ago at $60. Now it's at $20. In only four months the game's value has depreciated to 1/3 of what it originally cost.

15 years to make, four months to degrade.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As with all rumors, there's usually a little truth in there.

I hope Rage picks up. There a lot of great tech in there by a wonderful studio.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll chime in and say that Doom 3 was fantastic. The game actually scared me to play it in a dark room on my PC. I would want to play it, and just did something else. Thee flashlight is WHY the game was scary. You were wandering around a hell hole (literally), and then you can't see what's about to kill you? Yeah, count me the fuck out.

And the last levels where you go TO hell? Amazing.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Awesome that Doom 4 is still in the works.

GAMEFAN

Fett

Camel Slug
I'd rather play new doom maps with the original engine TBH. There's enough next gen FPS games on the market to compete with as is.

HeartlessNinny

I'll chime in and say that Doom 3 was fantastic. The game actually scared me to play it in a dark room on my PC. I would want to play it, and just did something else. Thee flashlight is WHY the game was scary. You were wandering around a hell hole (literally), and then you can't see what's about to kill you? Yeah, count me the fuck out.

And the last levels where you go TO hell? Amazing.

Yes, I agree. The flashlight sure seemed to upset people, but it was a great way to build tension and suspense. Playing the game it was meant to be played, I can honestly say it's one of the more scary games I've ever experienced.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Also keep in mind that a lot of id's games are more of a showcase for their latest engine, which is their bread and butter.