Dreamcast issue

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Ok I'm getting this message on Gauntlet Legends when I finish a stage and it starts to take me back to tower.

"There has been a file error. Please check that your disk is clean and unscratched"

Not sure what is going on here. I've played through this game twice before no issues, disc is almost flawless. No disc rot I checked to be sure.

I just replaced all reg & sufrace caps, new controller pcb wth resetable fuse.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You…checked…for rot? What method are you using for that? Rot is unlikely IMO but also often invisible without a good microscope.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
You…checked…for rot? What method are you using for that? Rot is unlikely IMO but also often invisible without a good microscope.
I dont think its the game either. Sometimes I can play through two realms and not have one problem. Other times I can play a level and when it goes to return me to tower is when it has this message pop up. It's always on this spot. Never during playing of one of the stages.
I think it's something with the hardware everything has been cleaned and any part replaced. Wonder if the actual optical drive could be starting to fail.

I'm also using one of the Retro Fighters pads. Probably not it but it might be worth my time to get another original DC controller & VMU to try out.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Researched more and found someone that had the exact same issue on Gauntlet on another forum. So looks like the game is going bad. I did play through it few times over a year ago with no issues. Oh well what are you going to do, I'll hunt down another copy or hopefully find a loose one. Fuck eBay like everything else this game has went full stupid on price.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Pirate it you already paid for. You could also polish the disc. Sent my Resident Evil CV to a professional and they polished one of the discs for 1 € + shipping. Works fine now and is worth a try.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Researched more and found someone that had the exact same issue on Gauntlet on another forum. So looks like the game is going bad. I did play through it few times over a year ago with no issues. Oh well what are you going to do, I'll hunt down another copy or hopefully find a loose one. Fuck eBay like everything else this game has went full stupid on price.
doesn't necessarily mean rot. It could be a weak laser seeking data and the game doesn't get the data it needs in a certain set time so it spits back an error too