driving motherboard

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
So by now we all know the two driving games throw up a “machine code error” on any motherboard that isn’t a “driving” motherboard, but when I’ve compared photos of the JAMMA I/O board from the driving motherboard and the rev 1 fighting boards, they are identical. Even the bios chips have the same code.

From the mame drivers they mention the boards reprogram themselves on the fly for the RAMPORT to assign I/O configs per each game.

Does anyone have a dump of the bios from a driving board? My assumption is a quick bios swap on a rev 1 fighting JAMMA board would allow booting of driving games, but I can’t seem to find a dump, and therefore can’t burn a chip.

It seems there are three I/O boards ; rev 1, rev 2, and Beast Busters. I’ve never seen a photo of the Korean boards so maybe 4?

But from photos the driving boards and rev 1 have the exact same chips, in the exact same places. So unless one of the chips has additional custom code contained within that assists in running driving games...maybe it really just is that easy?

Trying to make something work since I own both driving games but can’t find a mobo to play them lol

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
neither know what game it came from. I’ve messaged both. Since rev 1 I/O boards are identical to driving motherboards, and rev 1 is so prevalent, my guess is rev 1. Not into ordering if I might be wasting cash

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Considering you get a machine code error if the controls aren’t hooked up to the driving board as well, and the bios chip codes are identical across rev 1 and driving, I wonder if rev 1 might boot driving games save for the fact nobody has tried it work controls wired up?

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
I say that the IO board I linked you to (the cheaper one) is worth trying because otherwise I don't see you getting a board any time soon. Have you tried KLOV? Edit: Yes, yes you have.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I found an I.O board. Untested but fingers crossed. It’s got a label on it handwritten that says “driving” so hopefully that’ll slot into my motherboard and run the driving games.

Then I’ll just have to mod some pedals, shifted, and a wheel to work