15 Year Member

I can't wait for this.

Directed by Denis Villeneuve, who has directed 5 other English language films:
Prisoners (2013)
Enemy (2013)
Sicario (2015)
Arrival (2016)
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

I think all five of them are great movies, especially the latter two. And those two being science fiction bodes very well for Dune.

I'm going to start reading the books in anticipation of the movie.

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I did not see anything prior to this trailer about this movie.

Have to say it is more promising than i thought, also seeing what he has directed before. I am not going to read the books but looking forward to seeing how this plays out

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
I don’t know the source material aside from watching the ‘84 Lynch film, which I haven’t seen in over 30 years. I don’t know what to make if this trailer, but it’s a Villeneuve movie so I’m totally in (Blade Runne 2049 being in my top 5 movies of all time). Cast looks solid, but I just can’t not see Aquaman.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
If you haven't read Dune, you've fucked up.

I'm sure this will be a good movie, but I wish the art direction were a bit different. I was hoping for some sort of mix between brutalist and esoteric, which is what I had imagined while reading the books. But this seems pretty tame and sort of a straightforward take on "sci-fi in the desert." Also, if you're looking forward to this, you should watch Jodorowsky's Dune.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
That looks pretty promising, better than expected. But then again, I didn't have high hopes to begin with.

For those interested in seeing this that haven't read the book, fucking read it. It's a great book.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Blade Runner 2049 was great, so I'll definitely give this a go.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Blade Runner 2049 was great, so I'll definitely give this a go.

Did you see Arrival?

I recently re-watched all five of his movies and Arrival is definitely my favorite. One of the better sci-fi movies of all time in my opinion.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I had pretty low expectations, but this is looking alright. I have a fairly close relationship to the Lynch Dune, so this will be tough to win me over.

The SyFy series was OK. It at least saw the story through till the end.

Last edited:

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I've never watched Dune. I'll probably watch it for the cast.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
If you haven't read Dune, you've fucked up.

I'm sure this will be a good movie, but I wish the art direction were a bit different. I was hoping for some sort of mix between brutalist and esoteric, which is what I had imagined while reading the books. But this seems pretty tame and sort of a straightforward take on "sci-fi in the desert." Also, if you're looking forward to this, you should watch Jodorowsky's Dune.

Brutalist.

It needs to be brutalist and hard noir.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've read the books. I have seen the previous media. I have played the RTS's to death. Love Dune.

I like the trailer and the style. Don't love it.

I think Dune is unfilmable because the scope and lore just don't work on film. By today's film standards, the first book is 9 movies and 3 spinoffs in scale. The first film was terrible because it tried to make it one film and was 5 hours long.

I genuinely hope this is good and it has the cast to back it up. I thought BR2049 was hot fucking garbage frankly. Awesome looking hot fucking garbage.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Kinda ironic how this contemporary Dune trailer uses a cover of a really old song by Pink Floyd- The same exact group once slated to score the soundtrack for its abandoned 1975 film incarnation.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I’ve read Dune and 3 or 4 of the sequels, can’t remember. It got really weird. I always had a suspicion a lot of the themes in Dune went over my head. Like if someone asked me what Dune was about I’d only be able give them a synopsis of the plot :(

Reading Dune made me feel dumb, lol.

I have not seen any of the film versions.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Directed by Denis Villeneuve, who has directed 5 other English language films:
Prisoners (2013)
Enemy (2013)
Sicario (2015)
Arrival (2016)
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

I have seen all of these movies except Enemy and I can't remember a detail about any of them. Except the end of prisoners and something about a robot baby in Blade Runner.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Looks promising but a notoriously hard story to film. Love the books, hope they nail this one!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Excited so we'll see if it's really good or not.

Chances are that it will be very watchable. 2049 was very watchable. But I don't know if we will find it a deeply layered movie. Was 2049? I don't know. The daughter was a wokescold checkbox to me, and it didn't have to be. But I guess Androids that can give birth isn't out of the Ridley Scott universe, so whatever, right?

What I want from Dune is a movie that can deliver the book through Villaneuve's vision - not Villaneuve's vision, delivered through parts of the book. We already had Lynch's Dune for that.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
To me it is Villeneuve's films set in the real world that stand out by far, namely Prisoners and Sicario.

I think Chalamet is a brilliant young actor, but somehow I think he might be misstepping with these roles, too much exposition too fast, not much need for range, here he is a slightly taller Frodo in King Henry garb. Maybe it's just me.

Film definitely looks to be hinged on Vilkeneuve's chops than Dune's prestige. Will be offered up as some kind of Star Wars off shoot to the kids

Last edited: