Dunk Dream / Data East MLC 4P Kick harness pinout

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
My dude @JoeAwesome wants to make a 4P connector for his Dunk Dream 95. I may have sourced this from a document I had, but I can't find it online, so here's a copy of the notes I used to make mine:

Take a normal SCSI hard drive connector that fits into the MLC slot.

Cut that bitch in half, leaving as much wire as you want to work with (I'm hood... if you want find and pin a scsi connector, go for it)

Strip and solder the ends to whatever you're using for players 3/4, whether it's part of a JAMMA extension, or in my case I used 2 neo geo style D-Sub ports. I used to order these from winford engineering. If you don't want to solder you could attempt to use a breakout board like this one, matching the pin numbers to the ones used in a standard neo geo / supergun setup (documented elsewhere). https://www.winford.com/products/brksd15.php

PINS on the SCSI side:

Counting SCSI pins is tricky because they alternate top/bottom row, instead of counting straight across each row.
scsi50narrow.jpg

47-50 Ground (use for both players)

3P
4 - UP
6 - DOWN
8 - LEFT
10 - RIGHT
12 - B1
14 - B2
16 - B3
24 - START

4P
26 - UP
28 - DOWN
30 - LEFT
32 - RIGHT
34 - B1
36 - B2
38 - B3
46 - START

So for example on the neo geo pinout standard, GND is pin 1, so that pin on the neo geo port would be hooked to pins 47-50 of the SCSI connector. Button 1 is pin 13 on the neo geo D Sub, so connect that to SCSI pin 12 for the P1 port, and 34 for P2's B1.

db15_laugh.PNG