EBAY plus PAYPAL - Holy Shit

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Just got off the phone with these two. Nothing solved. Had the customer service reps for both Paypal and Ebay on conference call.

Pretty much one told me to get it taken care of on the ebay end, the other on the paypal end...

After 45 minutes on the phone, nothing solved. No one can do anything apparently. So got money on hold for an ebay dispute, can't issue a partial refund through paypal. Gotta refund item and shipping, there's no way around it. Got fucked.

Great idea separating these two services. Who ever thought of this: Genius, probably got a fat bonus at the end of the year and a promotion.

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
All this trouble over a fleshlight!? Bastards. Jk

But really was it something you sold and someone made a claim?

I've been curious about how the separation of these two companies would play out...

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
All this trouble over a fleshlight!? Bastards. Jk

But really was it something you sold and someone made a claim?

I've been curious about how the separation of these two companies would play out...

Sold something.. buyer filed claim for defective, non-working. Buyer shipped it back, retested item, works fine. Buyer didn't know how to use item. I told the buyer I could reship it or issue a refund for the item value.

Ebay only allowed me to refund everything, included the shipping... and on top of that, they want to charge me a fee for the buyer having shipped the item back.

Paypal says that if this were a paypal dispute, they could issue a partial amount refund, but since the ebay dispute has placed the funds on hold, they are unable to issue a partial refund or any refund.

Ebay claims they cannot issue partial refunds, because I am too far into the return process now... and I can't hit the back button anymore essentially, if you click issue refund... it means refund item value, shipping, and return shipping.

Years ago you could issue a partial refund... Once you hit issue refund, you cannot issue a partial refund, there's no back button... they didn't even give me a please comfirm that you will now be refunding item value, shipping, and return shipping window... it just straight one shot, one click, no back button... now even calling ebay directly can't do anything... and paypal's hands are tied too cuz ebay has funds on hold.

Sounds like they still work together, since ebay can very easily place a hold.. and then they both say their hands are tied.

Last edited:

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
After spending 45 minutes on the phone.. not solving anything... and wasting almost an hour of my time, it would have probably been cheaper to take it in the ass and issue the refund without having the buyer reship the item. Would have saved about $8 and probably 2 hours worth of time total from calling ebay today, before, and talking to the buyer through the whole return process.

So moral of the story is if you value your time and your time is worth more than a few bucks... just refund all the money no questions asked on items worth less than $50 bucks. Cuz you're gonna get screwed anyway.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Got fucked.

No surprises here. eBay never has the seller's back. Paypal is alright when things go south in a private sale but they'll screw you too if eBay is involved.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
The only redeeming thing about this whole process was having a conference call between the ebay rep and the paypal rep. I wanted to laugh during the call.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If the shipping charge is separate and you set your return policy to buyer pays shipping, refunding the shipping charge is optional. That said, it seems like unless you're a Powerseller, eBay doesn't have your back at all these days. The return/refund system seems set up to fuck you if you make one wrong click. Partial refunds are available via Paypal but you don't get an eBay fee refund unless you go through their process.