eBay urges everybody to oppose the desire for a new internet sales tax

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
eBay said:
For many years, large national retailers and many state tax collectors have hoped for new Internet sales tax collection policy. They want Congress to pass a federal law that would allow tax agents from one state to enforce their sales tax laws on retailers based in other states, even when a business is based thousands of miles away. eBay Inc. opposes this misguided idea, and believes that small businesses selling via the Internet should only be subject to the tax laws of the states in which they operate.

The news from Capitol Hill is clear. Internet sales tax supporters are convinced that 2013 is their year, and they are determined to pass a new Internet sales tax bill when Congress tackles "corporate tax reform." In December, Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL), the sponsor of Internet sales tax legislation, publicly announced that he had a commitment from the Senate Finance Committee to "take it up early next year and move it to the floor."

Your opinion matters. If you oppose giving state tax collectors new powers to impose and enforce out-of-state sales tax burdens on small businesses that sell via the Internet, now is the time to make your voice heard. Click here http://srx.main.ebayrtm.com/clk?RtmClk&m=316295&lid=1342497 to send an email to your Members of Congress and express your opposition to state tax collectors imposing unfair tax burdens on small businesses.

Thank you for helping to keep the Internet a fair and open marketplace for all.

Sincerely,

Christopher Payne
Senior Vice President, North America
eBay Marketplaces
BB

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
hey bb thanks for posting this our government is out of control right now and they need to be held in check all they do is take take take so everyone needs to do their part in order to stop this kind of crap from happening.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
While ebay and paypal continue to collect their 10% tax.

Last edited:

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Don't online stores in the US charge any sales tax? If not, then they should.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
hey bb thanks for posting this our government is out of control right now and they need to be held in check all they do is take take take...
But, you have the US Flag in your profile here, not the Union Jack...

SSS

neo retired
This isn't a new concept. This is just another form of the "use tax" that numerous states already have on the books for out of state purchases by residents.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Signed. More taxes/fees would absolutely make it harder to buy and sell things online. I don't buy off eBay that much anymore, but I buy from Amazon all the time and wouldn't want to pay several hundred extra dollars a year to do so.

SpoonyBard

n00b
In Wisconsin you're liable to pay tax on your internet purchases. Most people don't know about it, and most people I know still don't do it. But there's a segment on tax forms for your internet purchases.

As a person that works in a retail environment directly competing with online businesses, i'm kind of glad. There's nothing worse than having to come down to 10% over cost to match price on an item, then be expected to eat the tax too. I try to buy anything I can locally, but for the few items I get on eBay/Amazon a measly 5.5% (in my case) isn't going to deter me from getting them.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Don't online stores in the US charge any sales tax? If not, then they should.

If you do not have a physical presence in a state, you are not required to collect sales taxes from customers in that state.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Well, no one wants to pay more taxes, but if brick and mortar shops have to charge taxes, online stores should too.

It seems a bit bizarre otherwise, everyone would just buy everything online and no one would pay any sales tax, then the government or state would have to hike taxes elsewhere to compensate?

Swings and roundabouts as far as I see it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm going to go out on a limb and state that you've never owned or run a business and don't realize how many people you have to pay before you pay yourself.
BRICK & MORTAR don't have to deal with ONLINE FEES(eBay & PayPal)Internet business MUST accept some form of online payment,BRICK & MORTAR don't. BRICK & MORTAR don't have to put up with Packing ,Postage fees.
I can go on..and on...but I'll keep it LITE
BB

Well, no one wants to pay more taxes, but if brick and mortar shops have to charge taxes, online stores should too.

It seems a bit bizarre otherwise, everyone would just buy everything online and no one would pay any sales tax, then the government or state would have to hike taxes elsewhere to compensate?

Swings and roundabouts as far as I see it.

SpoonyBard

n00b
I'm going to go out on a limb and state that you've never owned or run a business and don't realize how many people you have to pay before you pay yourself.
BRICK & MORTAR don't have to deal with ONLINE FEES(eBay & PayPal)Internet business MUST accept some form of online payment,BRICK & MORTAR don't. BRICK & MORTAR don't have to put up with Packing ,Postage fees.
I can go on..and on...but I'll keep it LITE
BB

Brick and Mortar shops typically don't have to deal with shipping fees, but they do have to run a retail location. And they don't have to use paypal, but a lot of transactions still use credit cards, which takes a cut. Just having my store open for a month costs $1,600. That's before utilities, employee wages, product, or any other expenses that come up. If you're eating $1,600 in packing/postage a month, then you're probably not a small online shop.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Large corporations in the U.S. are pretty much tax exempt (proportionally speaking), and when forced to pay proper taxes many corporations simply move off shore. Meanwhile, small businesses and regular citizens are forced to compensate.

I'm fairly liberal on most issues, and even I will admit that our tax system is fairly unbalanced and in need of reform.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
As long as they make it simple, I am all for it.

I collect and file sales tax all over the country due to anime and game convention focus of my business and it is super complicated as each state has different requirements and dates for filing.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yeah this sucks, but it's a long time coming.
I'm not going to fight it.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
the letter urges supporters to think of the small businesses.

eBay is not the voice of small businesses, so forget that.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
the letter urges supporters to think of the small businesses.

eBay is not the voice of small businesses, so forget that.

They're probably only doing this so they don't have Uncle Sam cutting into their profits.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
They're probably only doing this so they don't have Uncle Sam cutting into their profits.

I think that's entirely their motivation. The repercussions of the bill could affect internet shopping/commerce as a whole, which is somewhat more unsettling.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
While ebay and paypal continue to collect their 10% tax.

I sold a star wars figure on sunday for £600, ebay took £62 in total fees and then paypal took around another 15 so for using their free service it cost me a premium of £77 , they are greedy bastards, I can see why people sell things on forums and use payment as gift.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
sales tax are typically state taxes
I don't think an online tax is necessary.
ebay can be thought of as person to person transactions.
Don't see how this would pass.