Egret II 'Taters Club

neomeo

New Challenger
What's the best way to get one of these. This one seems to be one of the holy grails.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
So my E2 speakers were starting to crap out. I replaced them with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5P76G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are an improvement over the original, but they aren't super loud unless you rock the stereo mode on the cab. They are a snug fit, but they will fit without any modification to the cab. Well other than soldering- this will require you to desolder the wires from the old speakers and solder the wires to the new cabinet.

Last edited:

imjasonh

New Challenger
So my E2 speakers were starting to crap out. I replaced them with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J5P76G6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are an improvement over the original, but they are super loud unless you rock the stereo mode on the cab. They are a snug fit, but they will fit without any modification to the cab. Well other than soldering- this will require you to desolder the wires from the old speakers and solder the wires to the new cabinet.

Do these have a little more bass? The E2s speakers are so tinny sounding compared to my Blast City. Thanks for the tip!

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Do these have a little more bass? The E2s speakers are so tinny sounding compared to my Blast City. Thanks for the tip!

Its funny you ask - that was one of the things I noticed when I put them in yesterday. They have a decent amount of bass- if you crank it in stereo high enough, it will shake the cab slightly.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
What's the best way to get one of these. This one seems to be one of the holy grails.

you can buy mine if you want. all it is is a NAC with a rotate mech (that's topheavy AF and likes to tip over if you lean on it funny).

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member

As much as I love mine, its no longer economical to buy one. The rotate mech and the stereo options are cool, but in 2018, get two Astros for the same price.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
How much do egret2 goes for now? Mine is still not powering on.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Everytime i power on it starts to spark and make loud crackling sound, so i haven't bothered with it in an awhile.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Everytime i power on it starts to spark and make loud crackling sound, so i haven't bothered with it in an awhile.

Check to make sure your FG (Field Ground) is properly connected. That's the best place to start.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
What MS9 Chassis variations are drop in replacements for MS9-29T? Thinking of getting a back up and would like to know. Yaton has a few on ebay. Ive read some don't have auto degauss or have auto switching 15/24khz etc.

On a related note for getting the chassis out of the egret 2, It looks like I can unscrew it from the service hatch? I rather not have to take the monitor out in the event something does happen. It looks like it has three screws on each side.

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
What MS9 Chassis variations are drop in replacements for MS9-29T? Thinking of getting a back up and would like to know. Yaton has a few on ebay. Ive read some don't have auto degauss or have auto switching 15/24khz etc.

On a related note for getting the chassis out of the egret 2, It looks like I can unscrew it from the service hatch? I rather not have to take the monitor out in the event something does happen. It looks like it has three screws on each side.

Any of the regular ms9-29 will work. Yeah, you'll lose auto degauss, but eh. I used a ms9 out of a pod racer (came from bill burger) for the longest time until I got another 29T. The pod racing chassis actually has better geometry and less problems than the 29T. But all those regular ms9-29 (15/24K) are interchangeable.

Edit: I find its easier to do with the monitor tated- you will need to open up the surround, and discharge the tube. Next you will need to open the service panel on the back and unplug the connections from the chassis- I always take pics of what goes where. Then you'll need a long Phillips head screwdriver to unscrew the metal pieces holding up the chassis.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Ah I see. So you can take out the chassis without taking the monitor out. Like you said I noticed if you rotate the thing it is easier to discharge.

Are the neckboards all universal too?

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Ah I see. So you can take out the chassis without taking the monitor out. Like you said I noticed if you rotate the thing it is easier to discharge.

Are the neckboards all universal too?

Yup, simple drop in.

Edit: Buyer beware on those yaton chassis. Ive gotten 3 and only one arrived working. 300wins repaired one and sharp is still attempting to repair the other.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Yeah I was looking at them and they are pretty rusty. Probably just search for one from here or yaj.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Yeah I was looking at them and they are pretty rusty. Probably just search for one from here or yaj.

The nanao's will probably clean up well, but still you're looking at the 150 to get it here and another 150 to get it cleaned, recapped, and ready to roll.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
ErWGNl1.jpg

Is this how a stock Egret 2 is supposed to be hooked up power wise? I notice FG (frame ground) isn't connected at the pin (connector A). Is it wired up somewhere else?

could this be why I get slight jittering like a wave/pulse on my image when I get up close ( it isn't diagonal more of a squiggly ~ if you look at text)? Been like this since I got the cabinet from Matsu in 2012.

Honestly don't notice it most of the time but just wondering if this was like this from the factory (fg being unconnected). I have seen this type of phenomenon on other consumer sets I have, albeit they are far far worse. One set of mine that has it bad is a 2005 Flat Screen Toshiba. The thing looks brand new and was barely used according to the owner. I even checked the service menu for its hours and it only had about 2400 hours. I assume a capacitor is out of spec?
Thanks

Last edited:

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
ErWGNl1.jpg

Is this how a stock Egret 2 is supposed to be hooked up power wise? I notice FG (frame ground) isn't connected at the pin (connector A). Is it wired up somewhere else?

could this be why I get slight jittering like a wave/pulse on my image when I get up close ( it isn't diagonal more of a squiggly ~ if you look at text)? Been like this since I got the cabinet from Matsu in 2012.

Honestly don't notice it most of the time but just wondering if this was like this from the factory (fg being unconnected). I have seen this type of phenomenon on other consumer sets I have, albeit they are far far worse. One set of mine that has it bad is a 2005 Flat Screen Toshiba. The thing looks brand new and was barely used according to the owner. I even checked the service menu for its hours and it only had about 2400 hours. I assume a capacitor is out of spec?
Thanks

Yeah, thats stock.