Euro 2008 Predictions Thread

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
With Euro 2008 just around the corner I thought it might be fun to make some predictions.

Just Pick the 2 teams who will come out of their respective groups and then the final champion.

Group A: Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey
Group B: Austria, Croatia, Germany, Poland
Group C: France, Italy, Netherlands, Romania
Group D: Greece, Russia, Spain, Sweden

My Picks are bolded above and as for Euro 2008 Champion I'd have to pick Germany simply because they have been in almost perfect form since their 2006 loss to Italy.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Agreed! :)

Well, I hope we will make it.

Not sure about your predictions for Group A, the Czechs seem a bit down at the moment.... who knows, perhaps Switzerland will come out better than expected, they're really good at the mo.

I want a friggin' Germany - Italy final! :smirk:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
German and Italy are huge favorites - as always, but I think Portugal will stole the thunder this time. From nothing to 3rd place in World Cup is nothing to sneeze at. :eye: :eye:

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Verythrax said:
German and Italy are huge favorites - as always, but I think Portugal will stole the thunder this time. From nothing to 3rd place in World Cup is nothing to sneeze at. :eye: :eye:

As long as they don't choke. I'd never put money on Spain or Portugal to win anything. They always choke despite having a great team. I think Portugal's year to win this was 4 years ago. They may make it far but I doubt they will be passed the semis.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think Italy and Germany should do well, and Italy probably will win it. But Portugal is going to do very well. Spain has an excellent side. And remember that Russia is coached by Guus Hiddink. Guus coached South Korea to success in 2002, and would have brought Australia even further in 2006 had he not hit the Italian wall in the first knockout round.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
Group A: Czech Republic, Portugal, Switzerland, Turkey
Group B: Austria, Croatia, Germany, Poland
Group C: France, Italy, Netherlands, Romania
Group D: Greece, Russia, Spain, Sweden

considering i am an absolute football nut its amazing that that is the first time i have seen the groups! The hype and pre tournament coverage of euro 2008 in england is absolutely non existent since england didnt qualify!

I cant beleive how strong Groups C in particular and also D are! thats 2 groups of death!

I pick group A: Portugal and Turkey
group B: Germany and Croatia
group C: France and Italy
group D: Russia and Spain

Spain will finally win a tournament

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
rugal2000 said:
considering i am an absolute football nut its amazing that that is the first time i have seen the groups! The hype and pre tournament coverage of euro 2008 in england is absolutely non existent since england didnt qualify!

I cant beleive how strong Groups C in particular and also D are! thats 2 groups of death!

I pick group A: Portugal and Turkey
group B: Germany and Croatia
group C: France and Italy
group D: Russia and Spain

Spain will finally win a tournament

Are you sure you want to discount the Ronaldo power? This is his year. If the World cup was this, I'd bet the farm on Portugal.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
wasabi said:
Are you sure you want to discount the Ronaldo power? This is his year. If the World cup was this, I'd bet the farm on Portugal.

With the power the team has (Petit, Deco, Simao, Ronaldo and Nuno Gomes), I'm hoping for a big win this year. I'm sad to hear that Petit announced that this will be his last year playing.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
With the power the team has (Petit, Deco, Simao, Ronaldo and Nuno Gomes), I'm hoping for a big win this year. I'm sad to hear that Petit announced that this will be his last year playing.

LOL !!!

Nuno Gomes is a joke. He is the kind of player that forces the defenders to tail him, other than that, he's nothing but a joke :lolz:

Petit is not in good shape. He had a terrible season at Benfica and I don't see him getting better soon.

Portugal has 3 big flaws in their squad. they lack a decent goalie ( Ricardo is just good for lottery PK's ) , a Left-Back ( true lefty, not adapted right foot players ) and a Striker like Van Nistelroy.

That would be a team. The other spots are well occupied.

My choices are toward Italy and Germany (their early-mid 90's spirit is back) as the strongholds.

France is from 20 years ago to now always a strong side, and Spain has a hell of a football team. If they didn't had that "quarter-final syndrome" , they would be in the top3 favorites. They're playing superb rush football.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
they lack a decent goalie ( Ricardo is just good for lottery PK's )

well i do think that Quim is in great shape.Probally the only good Player (a par with Rui Costa) in Benfica this last season.
A shame that Scolari prefers Ricardo over Quim.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
France is from 20 years ago to now always a strong side, and Spain has a hell of a football team. If they didn't had that "quarter-final syndrome" , they would be in the top3 favorites. They're playing superb rush football.
France is not going to look very old on the field compared to Italy and Germany. Yes, there are old players on all these teams, but for every over 30 player that France plays, Italy and Germany will likely do the same (Cannavaro, Buffon, Zambrotta, Del Piero, Toni, Lehmann, Ballack, Frings). Goalkeepers of course shouldn't count, because they're usually going to be old across the board. However, it's very possible that Sebastian Frey will debut himself for France to the world this summer (Ukraine doesn't count. is weak) and show why Fiorentina improved so much.

Spain has an exciting young squad, but they have always had exciting young squads filled with talent, that get knocked out early.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Spain has an exciting young squad, but they have always had exciting young squads filled with talent, that get knocked out early.

Told ya - Quarter finals syndrome.

they have shown the best foot-to-foot in the last friendlies and won those matches ( although they were just that - friendlies ) against modality's strongholds. France, Italy, etc...

Nobody mentions Greece, but as they won the last Euro, they can also repeat that again ( hell no !!! ).
Lucky ? a bit. Effective ? Hell yes.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The upset team could be Russia. Zhirkov and Anyukov are on my fantasy team. Think about the fact that Guus Hiddink is the coach. He was also the coach of Australia in 2006 and South Korea in 2002. He's one of the best coaches in the world, if you can somehow convince him to come to your country and turn it around.

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Guus Hiddink is a great coach but don't assume Russia will make it far because of him. The players need to be good and I don't see Russia going anywhere in Euro 2008. Scolari, now thats a great coach and if he still coaches Portugal you better watch out with them because they have a few decent players unlike Russia.

Italy or Germany will win but who knows their might be a upset.

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Hmmm with Engerland out I'm not sure who to root for.

That said if we were in it , I would be telling myself not to support them because I always get my heart broken act like a madman and also we are shite.

I will try to catch some games but the stupid British media and Tv companies are ignoring the Games because we aren't in it (so annoying!)

Can't say that I will be rooting for any particular team (I hate all of Europe and Russia equally ;)), I just want to see some good football.

I like the decor in this sub-forum.

It's a shame that this has been set up at pretty much the end of the football season as this place will (save as to the euros) be pretty quiet, unless we can get some chats going - transfer rumours etc.

I hope it doesn't get axed because it is too quiet in here before the start of the next season.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you hate all of Europe, you should just root for Turkey. How the hell are they considered in Europe...

bloodhokuto

Меня зов
15 Year Member
Heh, yes indeed!

No doubt they will re-draw the borders of Europe again to include India next time.

England is still not in Europe though, we are an Island due west of Europe.:spock:

To be honest I am pretty much cool with our European friends, I just can't seem to get behind a particular team's players.

That said I still have a soft spot for King Henry, so maybe France? :eek:

cake

n00b
Heh, yes indeed!

No doubt they will re-draw the borders of Europe again to include India next time.

England is still not in Europe though, we are an Island due west of Europe.:spock:

To be honest I am pretty much cool with our European friends, I just can't seem to get behind a particular team's players.

That said I still have a soft spot for King Henry, so maybe France? :eek:

Can't root for France. They were turned down when they asked to be let into the commonwealth.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Speaking of which, how the hell is Israel considered part of Europe.

You just beat me to it.

They should be competing with Saudi Arabia and such...

Moreover, they will most likely never make it to a big competition in the next 40 years unless a miracle happens.

Not badmouthing them, but football isn't really their sport...

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
If you hate all of Europe, you should just root for Turkey. How the hell are they considered in Europe...

Most of Turkey is what used to be called Asia Minor. Turkey back when it was Anatolia and in the early part of the 19th century must have been one of the most mysterious and exotic places on earth. That said parts of the western part of the capital are the cradle of roman civilisation. Even if most of the population are racially speaking asians a significant part of the country is european in appearence. If Turkeys isnt included than neither should Romania or Bulgaria or Albania. It just makes it more interesting this way as the Turks are a very skilled football team. They just lack tactical discipline