Euro 2016

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I wouldn't read to much into the french result, for all the praise heaped on iceland (me included) they are no great side by any stretch, the french went for them from the off and they were found wanting.
There is no way the french will carve up germany like they did with iceland.
Winner of the euro's will come from that tie IMO though, but my lowly little old country of wales has every chance against portugal, who frankly haven't impressed me.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
While it's true that the French are good at using psycho tricks, being the host also puts lots of pressure on them, specially if they're playing against us, so I guess things are quite balanced in the psycho/morale department at the moment.

I love it, when even the savviest Jekyll has his little Hyde. That really could work.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Portugal's performance has been underwhelming to say the least while Wales give all they got so I wouldn't mind Wales to win tonight's game.

If we make it past France, my dream final Wales - Germany could become reality. :)

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Anybody but France please!

Seriously though, Wales vs Germany would be awesome.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I know the majority here wanted to see Wales go through but shit happens. Forca Portugal!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I know the majority here wanted to see Wales go through...

Not me tho. Wales won the race of underdogs anyway and their semifinal is far enough to please even the most sophisticated devotee. To stop Germany, there's more required than being simpatico.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The final is tomorrow night. Portugal have done nothing all tournament to suggest to me that they stand a chance against either France or Germany.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Portugal played well last night and deservedly won the game. Wales also showed lots of talent but in the end, focussing on Gareth Bale (who no doubt is a gifted player) is not enough. If they can balance out their game a little more and improve their positioning and passing, they will have a bright future ahead of them.

So... tonight it's Germany - France. I'm hoping for a good game and NO FRIGGIN' PENALTIES, PUH-LEEEZZEEE!!!!!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Really looking forward to todays game - hard to say who will win. Hoping for a fair match and a good watch.

The final is tomorrow night. Portugal have done nothing all tournament to suggest to me that they stand a chance against either France or Germany.
I don't know, yesterdays game made the impression on me that they have stepped up their game... I think they'll hold their own in the final.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

I disagree to both. Tomorrow night, i.e. today, is the second semi, the final happens to take place on Sunday, that's tomorrow in three days from where you counted. And if you've seen Portugal playing against Hungary & Croatia, you'd know better. Their team developed character that's worth a finalist. I'm anxious to see, if our Eleven is up there, too.

#quitmuellerhibernation2016
#hector4koeln2016

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Tho... it pains me to say this...

GO GO GERMANY!!!!!

xROTx

PS. I feel dirty now:(

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Portugal played decently yesterday because that NULITY of William Carvalho couldn't play due to yellow bookings.

It's just a shame he's not injured or booked for sunday's match. Never saw in my 36 years of age such an overrated player (???).
I even saw a comment from a french guy on a football forum "That William Carvalho runs even slower than the main referee..." - So true!

All he does his screw his team mates with dangerous passes when he's under pressure. When not, it's either pass to the nearest team mate or pass backwards. It's always 11 Vs 10 when he's on the starting lineup.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Tho... it pains me to say this...

GO GO GERMANY!!!!!

xROTx

PS. I feel dirty now:(

Don't worry, the Bratwurst smell will linger for a while and eventually go away.

Oh, and go go Germany for me too. :)

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Germany - France game at half time - that penalty decision for France was bullshit of the highest magnitude. Still pretty confident and hopeful that Germany will win - they played superbly in the 1st half, with French only really putting up a fight in the first 10 minutes or so.
Lets see what the 2nd half will bring.

Edit at full time: France put in a strong performance in the 2nd half. Germany seemed to be low on energy in the last 20 minutes of the game. Not really the result I expected but overall it was definitely a game worth watching.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
We've defeated our Italy curse, now France has defeated their Germany curse. Karma is a bitch, eh.

Euro 2016: Exorcism.

Congrats to France, and goodbye, Euro cup, it's been fun.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
We've defeated our Italy curse, now France has defeated their Germany curse. Karma is a bitch, eh.

Euro 2016: Exorcism.

Congrats to France, and goodbye, Euro cup, it's been fun.

That would be cool if it ended like that :D

Our curse against France lasts 41 loooooooong years...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Germany - France game at half time - that penalty decision for France was bullshit of the highest magnitude.

It was the right decision, your "comment" on the other hand fits your description quite well. It's bullshit of the "highest magnitude".

It was a very good game by the DFB-Elf, it's always tough to play against the host. I will omit the plagues that bothered our team in this game (loss of decisive players, unnecessary faults during the game, absence of luck etc. etc.) for the simple reason that we still could've won it. No hard feelings here.

The only thing I'd criticize is Loew's attitude after our victory against Italy. He was way too confident, so much in fact, that he didn't even realize how lucky we were. Four Italians miss their penalty chance? Well, if that ain't chance...

So this time we run out of it and deservedly so. I couldn't agree more with Oliver Kahn, who sees our football future in bright colors, with only one requirement to fulfill, yet: we got to cultivate ourselves a nice oldschoolish goal scorer. As soon, as we will, all those countless chances we develop will become goals, indeed. With no chance involved whatsoever.

Kudos to France, they did not play safe, they went out there to win, whatever the cost -- fair and square. Chapeau!

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Congratulation to France hope the final is good as the semi's .

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I disagree to both. Tomorrow night, i.e. today, is the second semi, the final happens to take place on Sunday, that's tomorrow in three days from where you counted. And if you've seen Portugal playing against Hungary & Croatia, you'd know better. Their team developed character that's worth a finalist. I'm anxious to see, if our Eleven is up there, too.

#quitmuellerhibernation2016
#hector4koeln2016

Nah, I don't see it, the final has been played, it's just crossing the i's and dotting the t's to for France now.

No offence to any Portugal supporters here but excitement about their performance against Wales needs to be tempered - they were playing against a nation of lower league players, hell even England managed to beat them.

If France don't lift the trophy on Sunday I'll dine on the proverbial headgear.

I said something similar to Rot about Brexit though....

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That would be cool if it ended like that :D

Our curse against France lasts 41 loooooooong years...

Yes, and hopefully the curse ends this Sunday. It is always a pain in the ass playing the host but anything is possible. That French counter attack looks pretty scary though.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
It was the right decision [...] unnecessary faults during the game, absence of luck [...] Kudos to France, they did not play safe, they went out there to win, whatever the cost -- fair and square. Chapeau!
took the words right out of my mouth. It was a great game, very engaging to watch. Germany could have won (or made it to extension at least) if it weren't for bad luck (lots of good shots at the goal) and a sheer chain of (small to big) mistakes, which France knew to use.

It was very interesting to observe the French team's tactics - come out strong in the first few minutes, then wait and defend until there is a good chance to counter. That and Germanys uncrushed will to score made for a very dynamic game, a hard fight (lots of yellow cards) until the end. Outstanding performance from both teams.

Spoiler:
V9vwJPS.gif

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Nah, I don't see it, the final has been played, it's just crossing the i's and dotting the t's to for France now.

Allright, that was an excellent thought then. Excuse my lack of understanding, but if you check under "stupid" in your Oxford, you'll find...

Stupid
/adj/ [L stupidus]
1. Slow of mind.
2. Unintellicgent.
3. oliverclaude (s.a. German bonehead)

See? I'm pardoned.