Evercade thread

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So I know Fatstacks and Gohan just bought into this, and I'm waiting for my handheld to arrive from Euroland. Just thought maybe we could have one thread for news and updates and shit?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yes, I'm a sucker.
giphy.gif

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Some important things to know:

The Namco carts (Namco Collection 1 and 2) only work on the handheld. They do not work on the Vs Console. Supposedly this is due to licensing reasons. There are hacks to get around this if you search the net, but I haven't tried them and can't verify.

The full button config is only available on the Vs Console, not the handheld. If you don't like the order of attack/jump buttons in Data East games and play on the handheld, I guess, Fuck You?

Some carts are going out of print, so you may want to get them soon if they interest you:
  • Namco Collection 1 (ends June 2022)
  • Namco Collection 2 (ends June 2022)
  • Technos Collection 1 (ends March 2022)
  • Oliver Twins Collection (ends March 2022)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
These look really cool but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. What about them do you feel makes them worth owning?

famicommander

15 Year Member
These look really cool but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. What about them do you feel makes them worth owning?
-portable
-decent selection of carts for a low price
-I don't have to install emulators and hunt down roms and bios files and configure them all myself on some Ali Express crap hardware
-can put retroarch on an SD cart if you really feel like it
-if I don't like it this crap figures to be easy enough to turn around and flip, or at least get back what I put in

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

I'm a handheld whore and it's cheap, mostly. I'm not totally sold yet but the price is low enough to try it out. Some of the game packs are pretty interesting. They don't have licenses for all the usual big name Nintendo, Sega, Konami, etc so the game packs have a lot of stuff I haven't played and would probably get overlooked on a system loaded with full sets where I just play Mario World and Final Fight all the time. Some of it is trash, but one really good game in a pack is enough to warrant the 20 bucks it costs to buy a game. I'm also really interested in some of the indie/homebrew packs that are on there.

Really the thing that sold me are the Lynx packs. I love the Lynx but it's near unplayable today without screen mods and between the two packs they have a ton of games I never picked up for the original system. For the price even if I don't buy anything else I'm happy with it as a Lynx mini that can also play some Technos games and Bad Dudes.

The majority of the games are B tier, but sometimes that's what you want to play.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I just like this concept so much better than Atari, Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, SNK, Konami (Hudson), etc all releasing discrete hardware "flashback" or "mini" consoles to stack up everywhere.

This is a better modern Intellivision option than Tommy's stupid vaporware Amico or AtGames' awful Intellivision Flashback piece of shit any day of the week.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I’m a little tempted for the home system and Worms as a plug in play fun thing in the living room. I’ll wait and see what others make of it first, I have enough junk right now lol.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I’m a little tempted for the home system and Worms as a plug in play fun thing in the living room. I’ll wait and see what others make of it first, I have enough junk right now lol.
d71ffc2f-dcf6-46c5-8bf8-2788b0ceaa7a_text.gif

Think of all the Astrosmash you could be playing.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I hope it’s got a built in speech module.

I’ve actually never played an Atari Lynx, so I’m mildly curious about those games too.

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's pretty bullshit that they did 2 Namco carts and didn't give us Ms Pac-Man or Bosconian, though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I got my handheld in, played it about half an hour.

It's bigger than I expected, about the size of a Vita. It's the most comfortable handheld I've used in years, which was quite surprising. The screen is okay, and not great, but fine. The controls feel really good. The first game I loaded up was NES Double Dragon 2 and I was immediately throwing knees everywhere so it doesn't seem to have any noticeable lag. In emulation I often have to adjust my timing to get those jumping knees out right.

It also makes a damn fine Lynx.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Of all the stupid games I could be playing, I keep playing Alien Brigade. It's a perfect fit for the handheld, I never had a 7800 or looked too deeply at it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
So the Evercade VS home console has secret games you can unlock with either codes or by inserting certain combinations of carts at the same time, as the VS has two cart slots.

Kubo 1 and 2, 2021 NES games, are unlocked by entering the settings menu, going to secret, and entering the code seijiwashere

Gotris, a 2021 SMS puzzle game, is unlocked by inserting any cartridge and holding L2, R2, and Select on the game select screen

NNNNNN, a 2021 NES port of one of the minigames from VVVVVV, is unlocked by holding L1, R1, and Up at the game select screen with no cart inserted

Spacey McRacey, another 2021 NES game, is unlocked by holding L1, R1, and Down at the game select screen with no cartridge inserted

The Atari 7800 port of Dark Chambers is unlocked by simply inserting both Atari Collection carts at the same time

Raid on Tricity: Second Wave, a 2019 Lynx game, is unlocked by inserting both Atari Lynx collection carts at the same time

Pyramids of Ra, a 2019 Game Boy game, is unlocked by inserting both Piko Interactive Collection carts at the same time

Arkade Rush, a 2021 NES game, is unlocked by inserting Indie Heroes Collection 1 and Gaelco Arcade Collection at the same time

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I have the handheld and all of the carts that have released so far. It's a good way to play some of the British and more obscure stuff and then they occasionally get something like Xeno Crisis which is great on its own. Also pretty nice to be able to play Splatterhouse 3 without paying silly prices for the Genny version.

Nice little system overall even if the default button layouts are almost universally baffling.

famicommander

15 Year Member
9 more known carts are releasing this year
May - Intellivision Collection 2 and Morphcat Games Collection 1
August - 2 different unannounced arcade compilations (one is hinted to be Jaleco)
September - 2 different unannounced console compilations
November - Indie Heroes Collection 2 and 2 more unannounced arcade compilations

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Related to secret games on the VS, the most recent update added a free game of the month (currently Tapeworm Disco Puzzle). Update to the most recent firmware to get it.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Why not just get an emulation handheld? There are so many options out right now, all of them more appealing than this.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Why does this seem like a very sad system?

am I missing something?
We live in an era where half the people on this site bought dedicated mini consoles for the NES, SNES, 2600, Genesis, PS1, TG16, C64, plus three or four shitty Neo Geo branded pieces of shit.

The Evercade is basically the same thing except the hardware and emulation are actually decent, it has interchangeable cartridges, it has games from a dozen different systems, it has some original and indie games, etc.

Reactions: jro

famicommander

15 Year Member
Why not just get an emulation handheld? There are so many options out right now, all of them more appealing than this.
This is preconfigured, plug and play.

Same reason people buy those mini consoles or compilations of old games on their Switch or Xbox instead of setting up their own Pi with all the ROMs in the world.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I dig the system and what they are trying to do with it - but there are those of us who have left cardboard box collecting behind. We are not the core demographic for this one. But I do think it's cool, especially the VS. My sister got the handheld and I had it for a bit to update the FW for her and it's not bad. But some of the higher end emulation handhelds wipe the floor with it. Like...BAD

But if you like boxes for your shelf? It's really cool - manuals and all

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I got an email from Funstock this morning announcing they were putting up the VS Founder Edition at 11 EDT. Since I have more money than self-control, one is now on its way from limey land.