Facebook sales

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
Anyone sold anything to the FB members?

They all seem to moan about the price and offer less than half of what an items worth and constantly moan about items bought from other sellers. One in particular seems to me that he’s up to something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
It’s not surprising that people would moan about your prices considering you value Sam Sho 4 JPN AES at 450 GBP - 600 USD.

If you have unrealistic values then the market will show you that, either through people blasting your prices or getting lower offers than what you want. It’s not hard to undercut your asking prices and still get what the game is worth from what I’ve seen. I do know that home carts carry a premium in the UK market, but my gut tells me you’re still off on pricing.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
It's the most popular Craiglist/OfferUp/gumtree of online classifieds. People will always beat you up on prices if they're good, and you won't get messaged if the prices are fair (unless it's something uber rare).

Just like any other classifieds, there are people who spend each day buying and selling on there, so yeah, you'll run into vendors. I've bought from there, but never sold.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
It’s not surprising that people would moan about your prices considering you value Sam Sho 4 JPN AES at 450 GBP - 600 USD.

If you have unrealistic values then the market will show you that, either through people blasting your prices or getting lower offers than what you want. It’s not hard to undercut your asking prices and still get what the game is worth from what I’ve seen. I do know that home carts carry a premium in the UK market, but my gut tells me you’re still off on pricing.

That’s fine but other stuff like Robo Army and SVC getting offered peanuts plus a boxed jelly bean controller. Just one certain guy keeps asking for stuff and whinging on price

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If your prices are good, things sell fast. Some people watch that place 24/7

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
That’s fine but other stuff like Robo Army and SVC getting offered peanuts plus a boxed jelly bean controller. Just one certain guy keeps asking for stuff and whinging on price

Facebook isn’t for serious life forms.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
If your prices are good, things sell fast. Some people watch that place 24/7

True. I'd add that good prices are are usually those you paid for your games, because you bought them some time ago for less, than people demand now. Most important thing is to get your money back, while the time you spent owning your games is for free. Most of the times you make some profit anyway, just don't push it.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Anyone sold anything to the FB members?

They all seem to moan about the price and offer less than half of what an items worth and constantly moan about items bought from other sellers. One in particular seems to me that he’s up to something

Compared to Ebay, on Facebook you get everyone using it. Which is a different situation.
On Ebay there is the feedback system, which tends to compel people to treat each other fairly.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I've tried selling off some extra nes games and controllers on FB market before. More effort than it's worth. Everyone wants the stuff, but no one wants to show up to pick it up. Bunch of lousy no shows that waste your time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Ignore or block them. I wouldn't want to sell my things to a cretin who whines.

This. Judge people on how they respond, spell, speak to you, take a quick look at their profile. Be very picky about who you respond to or sell to. Facebook is 95% fucktards, its actually pretty easy to pick them out. I recently sold a ton of stuff with no issues, but the majority of people I didnt even respond to.

When I put my location in the post, Im not going to respond to some douche who sends me a message like “wear u b”.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?

I ignore him now. He keeps banging on about how much cheaper stuff from Japan is. I said fine but how much is the customs charge from HMRC? Twat

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I ignore him now. He keeps banging on about how much cheaper stuff from Japan is. I said fine but how much is the customs charge from HMRC? Twat

That’s because it is cheaper, and you can declare the items as “used video game” with bogus values if you don’t like customs. Thankfully here in the US video games don’t incur any customs fees unless it’s above a certain amount, around $3000 IIRC. I’ve only been charged a customs fee when a package of mine was insured for a little over $3000.

Really, though, wise collectors/gamers have been tapping Japan’s supply for years now. Especially when buying Japanese home carts, sometimes the game you’ll want just isn’t available outside of Japan.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Really, though, wise collectors/gamers have been tapping Japan’s supply for years now. Especially when buying Japanese home carts, sometimes the game you’ll want just isn’t available outside of Japan.

100% Agree. Honestly, buying direct from Japan has been a little more than addicting for me this year. The deals are absurd, and I've ordered dozens of games from Suruga-ya at this point and not one has disappointed me. I've received a few near-mint conditioned AES games I got for a steal as well. Paid $410 for a complete Art of Fighting 3 recently and it's excellent+. Even most CD games come in great shape - including the most common Saturn, PS1, and PCE titles - and I've not run into any games with rot.

That said, if you're after US games you won't find much.

Last edited:

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
That’s because it is cheaper, and you can declare the items as “used video game” with bogus values if you don’t like customs. Thankfully here in the US video games don’t incur any customs fees unless it’s above a certain amount, around $3000 IIRC. I’ve only been charged a customs fee when a package of mine was insured for a little over $3000.

Well it’s different here in England. I’ve tried and many others have as well to get around customs charges. Probably why our country is mess at the moment getting ripped off all the time

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Well it’s different here in England. I’ve tried and many others have as well to get around customs charges. Probably why our country is mess at the moment getting ripped off all the time

What are the usual issues that come up when importing games into the UK and how are the items valued coming into customs?

Here’s an example of why people might be beating you down when it comes to price. From the “what is it worth” thread, you were at 450 GBP for your Sam Sho 4 JPN. In Japan, a complete copy with the registration card sells for around 250 GBP on average. From my experience importing and exporting games, shipping to the UK should run 40 GBP. That puts us at 290 GBP. I calculated the VAT/customs duty on the value of the game importing to the UK based on a 35,000 yen value. This comes out to 58 GBP. After adding that figure, we’re at 348 GBP all in for a copy of SS4. The cost of the game, shipping, and VAT.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
The last game I got from Japan was £213 including postage. HMRC charged me £45.43 tax!!

End of the day my samsho I got from a collector in almost perfect condition and the guy was welcome to come too my home and look at it first. So for now I’ll keep as I’m not giving it away. The items I offered were for a fair price. Your not going to get a copy of SVC for less than £700 so don’t be making stupid offers

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The last game I got from Japan was £213 including postage. HMRC charged me £45.43 tax!!

End of the day my samsho I got from a collector in almost perfect condition and the guy was welcome to come too my home and look at it first. So for now I’ll keep as I’m not giving it away. The items I offered were for a fair price. Your not going to get a copy of SVC for less than £700 so don’t be making stupid offers

I mean, I could get an SVC AES for £550... :lolz:

You seem so sure no one will ever get one for less than 700 GBP.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I mean, I could get an SVC AES for £550... :lolz:
As an example, here is how it works in Germany:

550 + 4.7% Customs = 575.85

575.85 + 19% VAT = 685.26

Customs and VAT have to be paid on top of the total amount (shipped). If Deutsche Post or FedEX decide to do the Customs stuff for you you'll have to be prepared to pay another 6€ to ~20€ for their stupid "service fee". If they don't do this for you, then you have to print out a forum post/message/auction page or however you bought the item that shows at least one picture and the value. You also have to bring a print out of the PayPal transaction, your credit card statement or however you paid for the item to the customs office and be prepared to wait for an hour. Or two.

If you declare a lower value, then the potentially expensive item won't be fully insured.

Last edited: