Famicom 3d System

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I got this in the mail yesterday. I ordered it around five weeks ago on Ebay. It's a Nintendo Famicom 3d System. I first read about it a few years ago and am in love with all things 3d and wish that 3D had taken off more in the last couple generations systems. I'm getting my current fix with the PSVR.

Anyways it uses a stereotropic lcd screen shutter system exactly like the Sega Master Systems (pictured). In fact the Sega glasses are fully compatible and interchangeable. It was never released in North America.

I'm showing 7 games that were made that included the feature. They somehow popped up in my search and it's seems some warehouse with 35 year old surplus electronics must have shut down because tons of them are for sale right now. I purchased it for under $70 shipped from Japan.

I'm using the everdrive N8 and am only able to get 5 of the seven games to work with it. High Star might have tile issues with the sd cart and the fds FUUN Fuun Ryo game crashed after it asks to insert the disks B side.

DSC_0100 (Small).JPG
DSC_0101 (Small).JPG
DSC_0102 (Small).JPG
DSC_0103 (Small).JPG
DSC_0107 (Small).JPG
DSC_0108 (Small).JPG
DSC_0110 (Small).JPG
DSC_0114 (Small).JPGDSC_0116 (Small).JPGDSC_0117 (Small).JPG
DSC_0120 (Small).JPGDSC_0123 (Small).JPG

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Found this yesterday, my life in gaming has a review.

They lied though, one of the games plays cyan glasses mode only.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Danggg thats cool!

And interchangeable with the SMS? Even better!

I always wanted to try the SMS glasses but they are crazy expensive, May look into getting some of these instead, I have a famicom to so why not! :)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve had my eye on these for awhile but haven’t pulled the trigger. I love the SMS glasses so I should grab one before they shoot up in price. Thanks for the info!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I’ve had my eye on these for awhile but haven’t pulled the trigger. I love the SMS glasses so I should grab one before they shoot up in price. Thanks for the info!

The games arn't nearly as good as the master system ones, oh well still fun to play around with

Danggg thats cool!

And interchangeable with the SMS? Even better!

I always wanted to try the SMS glasses but they are crazy expensive, May look into getting some of these instead, I have a famicom to so why not! :)

You still need the SMS game card to glasses adapter. They used to be pretty cheap. The glasses can break easily so I'm sure there's more of them around.

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I’ve got one too!

Highway star and cosmic epsilon (which is a MUST even without a 3D setup). are the best games for it. 3D Hot Rally for the FDS is pretty good, too.

Rad Racer in 3D is amazing.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I brought some to!
Possibly the same source as you Xavier as they were listed as NOS.
Have to wait a few weeks for them to show up now,
But I also had a chat to the guys in my usual retro aladins cave and they have hooked me up with a SMS card adapter, They did have the glasses to but apparently they “were no more” :(
Anywho they hooked me up with the adapter cheaper than on Ebay and a 5xxx series PSX ready for the Xstation when that ships.

Been a expensive week lol

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've had a boxed 3-D system since 2004 and agree with everything being said here. Yeah, get an FDSstick for disk games. I use mine in place of my non-working disks.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Meh I'm trying to cut down on junk, other than this I'm happy enough playing fds games on the N8, anyways looks like the FDS ram are sold out. How many games use the specialty sound ?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Junk? It's the smallest, simplest, cheapest, easiest aftermarket product you can buy. Is the issue that you don't have the FDS ram adapter cart? There are plenty on ebay.

Most Konami games use the special sound in the music. Once you know the sound of it vs original Famicom sound it's hard to miss. Nintendo games generally use it for the opening music and sound effects.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Meh I'm trying to cut down on junk, other than this I'm happy enough playing fds games on the N8, anyways loos like the FDS ram are sold out. How many games use the specialty sound ?

Junk? You’re willing to get a fucking Famicom 3D system but you scoff at a FDS ram adapter and an FDSstick?? The Everdrive sucks at doing the FDS expansion audio which most games on the platform used. As Neo Alec said, Konami used the extra sound frequently. If you like NES/FC even a bit, you owe it to yourself to get an FDSstick setup, it’s basically a flash cart for the FDS. In fact, that combo is actually cheaper than an Everdrive N8.

There’s usually at least a few FDS ram carts on eBay, they can be had very cheap if you’re patient.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Ok OK OK
I'll put it on my list of stuff I want & need.
It'll be somewhere around #230

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Many, many, MANY games use the expansion audio in the FDS. Most of them do, in fact. It’s well worth the investment to get a ram cart or a sharp twin fami.