Fatal Fury/Garou Game will be a ‘Very Big Release’ for SNK; Will Focus on Single-Player

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
Snk has always been about the story. It's just told in a Japanese suggestive and implied fashion with many details left to the viewer to fill in, rather than Western style be very specific and descriptive about the details of exactly what is happening.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Where is gameplay?Making trailers before you have gameplay seems like a very dodgy thing to do.
It's all about whipping up the fans into a frenzy. It's just good marketing.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Snk has always been about the story. It's just told in a Japanese suggestive and implied fashion with many details left to the viewer to fill in, rather than Western style be very specific and descriptive about the details of exactly what is happening.
I wouldn't exactly call SNK's storytelling "nuanced" or even well considered.

sirlynxalot

Enemy Chaser
Fagit of the Year
To be fair, I had no idea what was going on with the orochi saga when I played kof95 96 and 97 25+ years ago and first observed the story cutscenes. And yet, there's a complex and lengthy story in there that others managed to extrapolate, fill in the implied blanks, and agree to. After reading the fan summaries of how the orochi saga story worked I became convinced that Snk is a genius level storyteller.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand KOF. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Japanese manga most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Iori's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny--they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike KOF truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Ryo's existential catchphrase "And don't forget it, Dweebenheimer!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Takashi Nishiyama's genius wit unfolds itself on their MVS cabinets. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Chang tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only--and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
SNK knows how to tell a great fighting game story. There's a ton of lore and well thought out (for a fighting game) plots and character arcs, which, at least in the 90s, really set them apart from other franchises.

Thing is, the bulk of it was in stuff folks outside of Japan didn't have access to, especially if you don't understand Japanese. Drama CDs, books, mooks, etc. There's only so much you can cram into an arcade game, and subjecting players to constant walls of text would kill the game flow.

Yeah tbh I didn't think much of the first fatal fury and aof in regards to gameplay but the cut scenes and overall presentation made me want to put another 30p into the mvs to see more.

Even if the stories r naff, the cuts scenes do give a desire to continue playing.
No other fighting company does cinematic presentation better then snk.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand KOF. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Japanese manga most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Iori's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny--they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike KOF truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Ryo's existential catchphrase "And don't forget it, Dweebenheimer!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Takashi Nishiyama's genius wit unfolds itself on their MVS cabinets. What fools.. how I pity them.
Christ

oliverclaude 2.0 here making waves

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
LMBO it's a Rick and Morty copypasta, he got you guys

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Doaal, sirlynx, catoblepa, will graham, moe all act very similar to joe.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
LMBO it's a Rick and Morty copypasta, he got you guys

liking rick and morty is an indicator of potential autism.